Photo
- - - - -

Grampian Blether

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
481 replies to this topic

#26 Queeg

Queeg

Forum Regular

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 04:12 PM

Stay away from my beer!! I've marked the level so I'll know if you've touched it!

I'm bored at work so thought I'd kill some time, especially as I've had Internet access for the past 2 days!! It's a miracle I tell you!! (We don't usually get the Net so it's a novelty)

Good luck with all your assessment stuff folks, would be nice to start the New Year with some good news, and another reason for :whistle:

Tom

Ah, but that level marking stuff doesn't wash with me. I carry a glass with a mark on it, which I use to replace other people's. Oh, shouldn't have said that, now you know who's taken your beer :)

On the other hand, I'm that extra step closer to joining the regulars now, passed my assessment centre so all I've got now is the medical (on Monday) and fitness. They've said that given all being well, I should be heading to Tulliallan sometime in February :lol:

#27 mickey

mickey

Experienced

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:31 PM

Ah, but that level marking stuff doesn't wash with me. I carry a glass with a mark on it, which I use to replace other people's. Oh, shouldn't have said that, now you know who's taken your beer :lol:

On the other hand, I'm that extra step closer to joining the regulars now, passed my assessment centre so all I've got now is the medical (on Monday) and fitness. They've said that given all being well, I should be heading to Tulliallan sometime in February :whistle:

oh dear there goes your secret. no more beer for you. :D

excellent well done

cool, well keep us informed of your progress. :)

#28 Kingfisher

Kingfisher

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 06:46 PM

"Thought I'd stick on a thread for general blether."

Hi, I am a newbie to the forum. Live in Westhill, passed my driving test in 1971, did an advanced course with Grampian police in 1976, did another in 1991.
Lately, there has been much printed about the 61 road deaths in Grampian this year. Speed seems to be a major influencing factor in a number of said accidents.
There has also been printed much about speed cameras, NESCAMP and the Portlethen road works, with the speed cameras set down at 50mph from 70mph in both directions. A number who have been caught driving at excessive speed, most seem to have been doing 61mph, going by the press (letters page in P & J and Evening Express). Having read the contents of the following web sites, I telephoned and wrote to NESCAMP asking if in their opinion, the enforcement of the 50mph speed limit at the Portlethen road works was legally enforceable. I still await their response. If one reads the legislation regarding road markings, signage and associated lighting of said, there seems on the face of it to be a contradiction of what is required in law, and what is at the actual site. Signs are being hidden by other ones, (a 610 was hiding a 670, a works exit is hiding a 610) 670 repeater signs do not have the same illumination as the primary 670 speed limit signs, the distance between the signs do not seem to meet the legal requirements, the initial 670 and the 671 at the ends are not illuminated, re Scedule 17 (1) and (10) of The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002.
After the telephone call to NESCAMP, the first 610 which was obstructing the view of the 670 was moved.
Having spoken to the local roads department, City and Shire, they claim that they do not have enough cash to rectify the anomalies in the signs throughout the region, which brings into question the legality of the roads signage within Aberdeenshire as a whole.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Ps, a still have a clean lisence and have no pending charges. (So far)

Regards

Malky @ Westhill

http://www.opsi.gov....02/20023113.htm
http://www.nescamp.co.uk/news.htm (Questions about declared distances between the signs and what is actually required)
http://www.abd.org.u...limit_signs.htm

Edited by Kingfisher, 24 December 2006 - 06:47 PM.

#29 Gazza

Gazza

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 09:22 PM

Legally enforcable or not, the limit and the cameras are there to reduce the speed and protect the workforce currently in operation along with the numbers of pedestrians that regularly cross the road at that point.
I really think that the 50 at Portlethen should be taken down to a more sensible 40 given the layout of the roadworks. If drivers are going to blatantly ignore any advisory speed limit (which an alarmingly large number do throughout the whole of Grampian), then on their head be it. Just be prepared to accept the consequences.

#30 chris1966

chris1966

Starting Out

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 07:50 PM

oi oi gazza,,,,,,,,,,,,hows the regs going?..........bet your'e loving it,................fully agree with your statement above,,be safe and hopefully see you soon mate,chris,........... :whistle:

#31 Queeg

Queeg

Forum Regular

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:27 PM

Westhill

A rather nice place if I say so myself (that's where I hail from).

The roadworks at Portlethen should, as Gazza has pointed out, be reduced to a 40. It's mainly at the chicane where the underpass is being installed that's the issue, I've seen far too many people take the bend too fast and nearly fly into the other lane (I have to drive over it every day to and from work, it can be fairly hairy at times with the nutcases).

Anyway, with regards to the legality, if someone genuinly believes the limit is incorrectly signed (for example) they do have the right to put forward their case in court if they have been caught. As far as I'm aware, not a soul that wrote into the paper (including Mr. "50 is too boring") has done so.

cool, well keep us informed of your progress

I've had my medical. All was fine except I've to get my hearing retested (it wasn't as good as it could have been, they've put that down to the bad cold I had so I'm getting a retest) and they're also contacting my doctor regarding a previous medical history. That shouldn't be any issue really.

#32 Kingfisher

Kingfisher

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 09:02 PM

"The roadworks at Portlethen should, as Gazza has pointed out, be reduced to a 40. It's mainly at the chicane where the underpass is being installed that's the issue, I've seen far too many people take the bend too fast and nearly fly into the other lane (I have to drive over it every day to and from work, it can be fairly hairy at times with the nutcases)."

Well I have to disagree with you on the above. I would hace preferred to see the speed limit lowered to a legally enforcable 50mph at the Charlestown fly-over, then down a further 20mph to a legally enforcable 30mph 100 meters prior to the roadworks for Southbound. For North bound, a legally enforcable 50mph at the Bourtreebush junction, just South of Portlethen, then further reduced again by 20mph to a legally enforcable 30mph 100 meters prior to the roadworks at the Portlethen fly-over. I say this as we are about to see the enactment of a second chicane, just North of the Porthethen fly-over.

"Anyway, with regards to the legality, if someone genuinly believes the limit is incorrectly signed (for example) they do have the right to put forward their case in court if they have been caught. As far as I'm aware, not a soul that wrote into the paper (including Mr. "50 is too boring") has done so."

That is up to them.
NESCAMP has changed their information on their site, which still contradicts the information given in the current legislation regarding signs, illumination and positioning.
If you are of a mind, check abandoned cases regarding signage.
For North bound traffic, the primary 670 positioning is certainly questionable in law. There is one on the main carriageway, off side central reservation and the other is on the slip road. This is a no-no. Two have to be on the main carriageway, one on the nearside verge and one on the offside verge. An additional one is sufficient for the slip road as it is less than 5 metres wide.
The positioning of the repeaters again are wrong. Look at the legislation. If I can find the information, then anyone else can do also. Are we going to see another waste of public money when drivers take legal advice, and the charges are thrown out of court on technicalities, if they ever get that far, that is?

Regards

Malky

#33 mickey

mickey

Experienced

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:29 PM

Where have you all gone?
all that chat over cameras must have tired you all out.
hope to see you all back soon :whistle:

#34 JOHN

JOHN

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:09 PM

Still here mate, been trying to catch up on some :whistle:

#35 mickey

mickey

Experienced

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:29 PM

Still here mate, been trying to catch up on some :whistle:

ah right, ill :lol: when im dead.
so did you have a nice rest and now ready to take on the world?

#36 JOHN

JOHN

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:10 AM

ah right, ill :lol: when im dead.
so did you have a nice rest and now ready to take on the world?

I did thanks. It just passed to quickly for my likeing, but never mind only 50 weeks til it comes round again :whistle:

#37 Gazza

Gazza

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:20 PM

I did thanks. It just passed to quickly for my likeing, but never mind only 50 weeks til it comes round again :whistle:

Bah, Humbug...... :)
Sorry I couldn't pop in the other day amigo....Custodies..... :lol:
Keep that kettle warm and make sure there's plenty choccy biscuits.
Later dude.
Gaz

#38 JOHN

JOHN

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:55 PM

Bah, Humbug...... :)
Sorry I couldn't pop in the other day amigo....Custodies..... :lol:
Keep that kettle warm and make sure there's plenty choccy biscuits.
Later dude.
Gaz

We are a charity, and cant afford choccy biscuits you will have to bring your own :whistle:

Catch you later.

#39 chris1966

chris1966

Starting Out

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:33 AM

john,did you see the news about the two brothers in ely,CAMBRIDGESHIRE,in court for the over feeding of the labrador.poor thing.it could hardly walk.any way,i am in total agreement reference with the choccie biscuits.tis about time the aforementioned ''gazza'' actually purchased the delights!!,,be safe,,chris in the north sea.

#40 Whopper MacBig

Whopper MacBig

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 17,658 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:50 AM

Choccy biscuits and choccy Labs aside, has your Fed invited you to subscribe to the voluntary fund yet?

Curious of the Central Belt

#41 chris1966

chris1966

Starting Out

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:50 PM

not heard a thing about the federation,may be when i get home i may have an outlook,,,chris,

#42 JOHN

JOHN

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:24 PM

Choccy biscuits and choccy Labs aside, has your Fed invited you to subscribe to the voluntary fund yet?

Curious of the Central Belt

Not a sausage mate. I was on duty on Friday night and nothing on outlook.

#43 chris1966

chris1966

Starting Out

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:40 PM

john,may be its a vicious rumour,,who knows.personally not had a lot of information about the federation so i cant really comment on the actions it may bring to us.any way,will keep the eyes peeled. be safe,chris,

#44 Whopper MacBig

Whopper MacBig

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 17,658 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:42 PM

john,may be its a vicious rumour,,who knows.

Shouldn't be - the Joint Central Committee (the national Fed body) has decided this so it should roll out to all 8.

Why don't you ask them?

#45 Queeg

Queeg

Forum Regular

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:46 PM

A much-belated happy new year to all in the Grampian forum. Hope everyone had a good time, it can't have been any less interesting than mine :whistle:

I've got my fitness test tomorrow morning and with any luck they're wanting to get me starting in February (mind you, I've to convince my employer to let me give a shorter notice period for that to happen...)

#46 mickey

mickey

Experienced

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:06 PM

A much-belated happy new year to all in the Grampian forum. Hope everyone had a good time, it can't have been any less interesting than mine :lol:

I've got my fitness test tomorrow morning and with any luck they're wanting to get me starting in February (mind you, I've to convince my employer to let me give a shorter notice period for that to happen...)

:whistle: I had a very uninteresting new year stuck in yorkshire,no offence to yorkshire.

but next year i will be in scotland and have a very good interesting one.

Good luck with the fitness test, It will be February in no time at all. Were already half way through January.
Go work your magic on your employer.

I hope it all goes well

#47 Gazza

Gazza

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:50 PM

I've got my fitness test tomorrow morning

Good luck with your test. 8.1 is the pass. I managed 8.7 on the first go, then 8.9 at college then, finally 10.1 when I got back to force. It's all about mindset, rather that the physical side of things. If a fat B*****d like me can do it (plus the 6 mile run at Tulli) then there's hope for everyone else. :whistle:
Let us know how you get on.
Good luck
Gaz

#48 Queeg

Queeg

Forum Regular

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:38 PM

Did better than I thought I would, got a 10.10 in the bleep test. I reckon I'd have done better if they hadn't called the warnings on the other boy, that distracted me...(so he claims) I reckon I can improve on the upper body strength but both my push and pull scores were pretty decent. So all that's left is for me to await a phone call this afternoon after they've done my application review and I'm sorted.

6 mile run. Yikes. No wonder the other bloke that was doing the fitness test today was scared!

#49 mickey

mickey

Experienced

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:26 PM

Did better than I thought I would, got a 10.10 in the bleep test. I reckon I'd have done better if they hadn't called the warnings on the other boy, that distracted me...(so he claims) I reckon I can improve on the upper body strength but both my push and pull scores were pretty decent. So all that's left is for me to await a phone call this afternoon after they've done my application review and I'm sorted.

6 mile run. Yikes. No wonder the other bloke that was doing the fitness test today was scared!

Excelllent. you did well. well i hope you recieved the phone call and are pleased with your progress.

again - well done :whistle:

#50 Queeg

Queeg

Forum Regular

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:12 PM

Excelllent. you did well. well i hope you recieved the phone call and are pleased with your progress.

again - well done :whistle:

Thank you!

I did indeed receive that phone call and the start date I've been given is March 12th (I couldn't persuade my work to let me have a shorter notice period). That's my induction week then I believe I'm off to Tulliallan not long after (hopefully see a few familiar faces from selection day etc.).

Recruitment are sending out the pre-employment material soon, although they've advised me to hang fire just a wee bit as they're sorting out the people that'll be in the February intake.

Edit: Looks like OHU have mucked up. Apparently they never passed me as medically fit, and I'm now awaiting a phone call from them to find out what is wrong. Which is quite annoying because I passed the hearing re-test (that's what they said) and everything else, the only things I didn't hear about were the results of the urine test (I had nothing suspect in my body!) and the result of a letter from my GP regarding a previous medical issue, which shouldn't have been a problem. That's really a bit of a downer on the whole thing at the moment.

Edited by Queeg, 19 January 2007 - 02:01 PM.