26 replies to this topic

#1 shade

shade

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:54 PM

Hi
im 15 and thinking of joining humberside police as a cadet.
just wondering what do your do once you have applied do you spend 3weeks at a training centre??
what does your uniform look like??
what do you do/learn once you become a cadet??

any answers would be useful!!

Cheers Jay

#2 Lotte

Lotte

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:13 PM

Hi
im 15 and thinking of joining humberside police as a cadet.
just wondering what do your do once you have applied do you spend 3weeks at a training centre??
what does your uniform look like??
what do you do/learn once you become a cadet??

any answers would be useful!!

Cheers Jay

My name's Charlotte and I am a former Volunteer Police Cadet with Lincolnshire Police (Nov 2002 - Jan 2005)

I do not think that Humberside Police currently operate a Volunteer Police Cadet scheme. I think the closest one would be it's neighbouring force, Lincolnshire Police, which operates Cadet schemes in Lincoln, Boston, Bourne, Grantham, Louth (and possibly Skegness).

If you apply to become a Volunteer Police Cadet, you do not spend 3 weeks at a training centre as it is not like joining the regular Police Service as Police Constable. There are specified Cadet Liaison Officers (normally serving Police Officers, or ex-cadets themselves) who will train you in various things such as police procedure, scenarios, fitness, drill and inspection, orienteering, team building activities, the various police departments, the law etc (there is a massive list of activites which varies dependant upon funds, and which force operates the scheme, because there is no set way of running a cadet corp - each one operates differently).

Uniforms also vary dependant upon force, but it is usually similar to that of the force you are joining, however it is designed specifically to make sure you can be identified as a Volunteer Cadet rather than a Police Officer. (See picture of myself in my uniform below).

Normally, once you become a Police Cadet, you would usually meet at a designated station once a week for a couple hours and help out at events and within the community (such as markets and shows etc), do leaflet drops which is part of crime prevention, property marking, fundraising, talks in local schools and the training as stated above - but like I said, it varies massively dependant upon which force, and even which division you join within that force!

If you have any more questions feel free to post here, or PM me and I will be more than happy to help. In the meantime, you may want to browse the other threads in this section of the forum to get an idea of some of the things myself and other cadets have posted about the cadets - I think you will find it to be very interesting and informative! (Particularly look at the 'guide to the police cadets', kindly put together by Lord Vader, which you will find pinned to the top of this sub-forum!) :whistle:

Attached Files

Edited by Lotte, 27 March 2006 - 06:15 PM.

#3 ry_gh

ry_gh

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 02:26 PM

Lotte you cut the picture short, u didnt show the shoes, lol, everyone knows the shoes lol.

#4 Lotte

Lotte

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 04:44 PM

Lotte you cut the picture short, u didnt show the shoes, lol, everyone knows the shoes lol.

DO NOT take the mickey of my drill shoes... :lol: they were actually complimented by a RSM (Regimental Sergeant Major) at Hendon for the first competition I went to, during the inspection before the drill contest! :whistle: They're lovely and shiney; I'm very good at bulling shoes (so good that other cadets were asking me to help them with theirs, and I would take their shoes home to bull)! They also have lovely metal segs in the bottom which make the most wonderful sound while marching along...ahh how I miss drill..

#5 Jon_sc

Jon_sc

Settling In

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:04 PM

Humberside Police DO have police cadets (I live in the Humberside Police area) , however they are full-time and not volunteers.

I think that they take cadets on at 16, once they have finished school.
They participate in duties at the police station and going out with police officers, and they also spend a couple of days a week at a Hull college studying for a Diploma in Public Services. Once they reach 18, i believe that they are then fast-tracked into becoming police officers.

If you need any more info, PM me and i'll try to help you!

#6 Lee_HP1

Lee_HP1

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 02:58 PM

Humberside Police DO have police cadets (I live in the Humberside Police area) , however they are full-time and not volunteers.

I think that they take cadets on at 16, once they have finished school.
They participate in duties at the police station and going out with police officers, and they also spend a couple of days a week at a Hull college studying for a Diploma in Public Services. Once they reach 18, i believe that they are then fast-tracked into becoming police officers.

If you need any more info, PM me and i'll try to help you!

I'm 17 and an Accredited Police Volunteer with Humberside. I looked into joining the police cadets when I was 16 but because it is full time it clashed with my studies as I've stayed in the 6th form. I believe VPC 120 is right, the scheme is run similar to a modern apprenticeship I think. But I must admit I have never seen or really heard of the police cadets in Humberside. I'll see what I can find out. :whistle:

#7 bexter1088

bexter1088

I'm new!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:39 AM

I am a police cadet with humberside police. We are employed by the police fiorce and do 2 8 hour shifts a week. this is normally a monday and tuesday. The rest of the week we attend college and do a college course - Public Services. when we are on a break from college - easter hols etc we work at the police station full time.
we have all been allocated to a police station where we all have different lines of work to do. this can range from working in a particular department to working on a shift with the response teams.
We get paid every 4 weeks just like the police officers however we dont get nearly as much as they do - obviously!! :whistle:
they are not running the cadet scheme any more and we are the last intake.

#8 David

David

Ninja Pussycat :)

• Moderators
  • 31,431 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 06:58 AM

Hi Shade, a warm welcome to PS.Com :whistle:

Can I please ask you to read this this, and PM me as requested. Thanks :lol:

#9 kroozer

kroozer

I'm new!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:47 AM

I'm 17 and an Accredited Police Volunteer with Humberside. I looked into joining the police cadets when I was 16 but because it is full time it clashed with my studies as I've stayed in the 6th form. I believe VPC 120 is right, the scheme is run similar to a modern apprenticeship I think. But I must admit I have never seen or really heard of the police cadets in Humberside. I'll see what I can find out. :eek:

HI are humberside police still doing the cadet sceme? because i got told by a pcso that they have stopped doing it now

if you could get back to me that would be great

thanks matty

#10 kroozer

kroozer

I'm new!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:06 AM

Hi its matty again lol i was just woundering what the uniform is like baecause i have been told the its the same has the force that you join but i have also been told that its different to the force that you join so i was just woundering if you had any pictures of the cadet uniform for humberside police because thats my local police force

p.s could you try and make the picture over 1mb of file size please and any sort of picture of the humberside cadet uniform would be great

thanks matty.

Edited by kroozer, 13 March 2008 - 11:08 AM.

#11 shade

shade

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:30 PM

I am a police cadet with humberside police. We are employed by the police fiorce and do 2 8 hour shifts a week. this is normally a monday and tuesday. The rest of the week we attend college and do a college course - Public Services. when we are on a break from college - easter hols etc we work at the police station full time.
we have all been allocated to a police station where we all have different lines of work to do. this can range from working in a particular department to working on a shift with the response teams.
We get paid every 4 weeks just like the police officers however we dont get nearly as much as they do - obviously!! bobby.gif
they are not running the cadet scheme any more and we are the last intake.

If you read the quote above it says that Humberside Police aint running the cadet scheme anymore.
You could always try and become a APV. (if they are still running that?? last i heard they might not be.)

#12 ca2008

ca2008

Die Hard

• Excluded
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:28 PM

Uniforms often tend to look similar to the forces, but say cadet, not police and clearly identify you as a cadet and not a police officer.

#13 DanielS

DanielS

TeaBoy (Retired with Distinction)

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:50 PM

There are two types of uniform

Posted Image
(Metropolitan Police Cadets)

or

Posted Image
(Derbyshire Police Cadets)

All forces have one of these uniforms

Edited by DanielS, 15 March 2008 - 08:52 PM.

#14 OnTheBeat

OnTheBeat

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:08 AM

Lancashire don't (just for your info) :eek:

#15 DanielS

DanielS

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:36 AM

Do they just have a t-shirt?

#16 xeon

xeon

Experienced

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:03 PM

Nooooooooo.
Posted Image
Theres always us and our combats

Edited by xeon, 16 March 2008 - 08:03 PM.

#17 jaysec

jaysec

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:15 PM

There are two types of uniform

Posted Image
(Metropolitan Police Cadets)

or

Posted Image
(Derbyshire Police Cadets)

That Met picture is of my cadet unit

#18 DanielS

DanielS

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:44 PM

Your unit is on the Met Police Website then :eek:

#19 Lima Alpha

Lima Alpha

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:30 PM

Do they just have a t-shirt?

I would hope they would have trousers aswell :eek:

#20 DanielS

DanielS

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:39 PM

they might just have long t shirts :eek:

#21 xeon

xeon

Experienced

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:13 PM

they might just have long t shirts :rolleyes:

Stop giving ACPO new ideas.

#22 jaysec

jaysec

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:31 PM

We dont have a uniform like the second picture either, apparently they used to, because of the similarity with actual full time police uniforms so they change ours to a uniform that looks and is the same colour like a armed team or dog team

#23 thackz1066

thackz1066

I'm new!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:48 PM

Hiya i was woundering if there is a police cadets in hull, im 15 going on 16 and i am intrested in joining one. I have tried to find a cadets but so far have been unsucessful. If there is one would you please tell me how to join. Thankyou.

Does anyone know?

Thank you for reading :D Thackz

#24 carty23

carty23

Veteran

• New Members
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:57 PM

Hiya i was woundering if there is a police cadets in hull, im 15 going on 16 and i am intrested in joining one. I have tried to find a cadets but so far have been unsucessful. If there is one would you please tell me how to join. Thankyou.

Does anyone know?

Thank you for reading :p Thackz

Hi Thackz,

It appears Humberside used to have a volunteer cadet service but no longer do.

I've had a quick search on their website but to no avail.

You could of course ring them or drop them a line at recruitment@humberside.pnn.police.uk to ask whether they have any schemes going throughout Humberside.

Alternatively, just across the Humber would be your best bet with Lincolnshire. They have a cadet scheme in place.

However, after looking at their website here, the majority of their cadet corps are located in the south of Lincolnshire, with Louth being their furthest North. It appears this is a 45+ mile journey from Hull, though. South Yorkshire Police also have a scheme but the nearest one to Hull is in Doncaster, and that's a 50 mile journey :D

Best bet mate is just to drop them a line to make sure they don't have a scheme. I cannot find one on Humberside's police website but it may be that the Cadet Corps aren't run centrally and have their own website (as is the case for Hertfordshire, I believe). If they tell you they haven't got any schemes, then you could always voice your opinion and interest - others may have already done so.

Best of luck :aok:

#25 Gingeriron

Gingeriron

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:03 PM

Humberside don't as far as i'm aware run a Cadet programme anymore, they did used to a number of years ago but had stopped when i tried joining it when i was 15.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users