• Please log in to reply
838 replies to this topic

#26 piccolo

piccolo

Die Hard

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 05:16 PM

lol, thats a good sales technique ill have to try that one at work.

No sorry sir you will have to buy 3 licenses to the software as they do tend to get lonely by themselves!

View Post

....or.......three lonley suspects , let's add another...........*slaps wrist* bad picc.

#27 Bas

Bas

Pity The Fool, He Does

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 14,482 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 05:57 PM

strangely bas, myself and tin tin have decided to get 3 of them when we move house next month- great minds huh? however, the place we're getting them say they like having friends. so maybe uv got an excuse to get another one?? :lol:

View Post

I thought this, and therefore feel I must go and purchase another. The poor little mite wants a mate, he gets a mate :grin:

Awww, I quite fancy having one of these little guys!

Are they expensive? Difficult to look after?

View Post

£20 each where I bought them, and they are very easy to look after. A glass tank 18" x 12" x 12", a few rocks so he has a nice place out of water to rest, fill it with 1 inch of water - no more - and away you go!

The tank was £15 and the turtle £20, rocks were free from Bognor beach :whistle:

#28 piccolo

piccolo

Die Hard

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 06:01 PM

*put hand up*..got a question......

When purchasing an animal such as these, how would you know if they have been kept under required conditions?

You knew the shop owner......are there any guidlines or regulations?

#29 Bas

Bas

Pity The Fool, He Does

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 14,482 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 06:04 PM

*put hand up*..got a question......

When purchasing an animal such as these, how would you know if they have been kept under required conditions?

You knew the shop owner......are there any guidlines or regulations?

View Post

Not as far as I'm aware - they looked perfectly well cared for in the shop!

#30 piccolo

piccolo

Die Hard

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 06:07 PM

Reason for asking. I have seen on telly how some poor creatures are shipped off under terrible condition and a quarter ends up dead.

Its good that you knew the shop.......they are so cute :whistle:

#31 Bas

Bas

Pity The Fool, He Does

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 14,482 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:16 PM

Reason for asking. I have seen on telly how some poor creatures are shipped off under terrible condition and a quarter ends up dead.

Its good that you knew the shop.......they are so cute :whistle:

View Post

I use three pet shops near me. I have got to know all the owners well. I have numerous fish in a large community tank, and 4 Piranhas in a seperate tank (obviously!)

The turtles I saw looked healthy and well cared for, and that's all you can look for really.

I suppose the best advice is to have a good look round the shop first, and see that all the fish and animals are looked after. It's easy to notice when they aren't.

#32 Amy

Amy

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:19 AM

£20 each where I bought them, and they are very easy to look after. A glass tank 18" x 12" x 12", a few rocks so he has a nice place out of water to rest, fill it with 1 inch of water - no more - and away you go!

The tank was £15 and the turtle £20, rocks were free from Bognor beach :whistle:

View Post

+ point number one, nice and easy to look after. I like the sound of that!

That sounds like a fairly reasonable price...and I reckon once I've decontaminated them, rocks from blackpool beach or somewhere similar would do just as good a job.

Thanks Bas

#33 Dan_05

Dan_05

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 01:04 AM

You've got Piranhas... how cool!!!

I plan to get some large aquarium type thing with some fish at some point in the future.. at the moment I've got some boring 4ft tank with 2 Pangasius and a pleck... I've had them for 13 years... I'm bored of them now lol

Want something with a bit of spunk… now Piranhas would be rather cool… how big are yours and how big is the tank?

I’d love a big inbuilt wall tank with some really cool fish in… maybe a shark too lol… then again… why not go the whole way… I’ll get a dolphinarium in the back garden :grin: :whistle:

#34 Amy

Amy

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 01:41 AM

Living in Scouseland you'd have to have a shark as security

#35 Dan_05

Dan_05

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:33 AM

Living in Scouseland you'd have to have a shark as security

View Post

So true, we can't be too careful anymore of what the outside world are capable of, so more security for Liverpool is required :whistle: ... I'd love to have a Great White in the back garden... as well as my dolphinarium of course...

#36 Professional_Cynic

Professional_Cynic

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:13 AM

wouldn't the shark eat the dolphins?

#37 Dan_05

Dan_05

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:25 AM

wouldn't the shark eat the dolphins?

View Post

Theoretically no... apparently there have been few instances of sharks attacking Dolphins....

However to be safe... I'd have the shark in a seperate tank... maybe I could invite annoying children to go for a swim in there during the Summer... :grin:

#38 Bas

Bas

Pity The Fool, He Does

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 14,482 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 05:50 PM

You've got Piranhas... how cool!!!

I plan to get some large aquarium type thing with some fish at some point in the future.. at the moment I've got some boring 4ft tank with 2 Pangasius and a pleck... I've had them for 13 years... I'm bored of them now lol

Want something with a bit of spunk… now Piranhas would be rather cool… how big are yours and how big is the tank?

I’d love a big inbuilt wall tank with some really cool fish in… maybe a shark too lol… then again… why not go the whole way… I’ll get a dolphinarium in the back garden  :grin:  ;)

View Post

I have 4 Red Bellied Piranhas (Pygocentrus piraya)

They are 6 months old and about 3 inches long now, and will grow to about 16 inches. The pet shop has some now which are around 8 inches and they look awesome. Once they are in a bigger tank I should be able to get better pictures. Eventually, I'll only be able to keep one because of the eventual size (as big as a rugby ball :whistle: ).

Yes I've had my hand in the tank :D - you have to sometimes, but as long as they are shown respect, and your hand moves slowly, it should be ok! In saying that, once they get bigger I might think twice :lol:

They eat bloodworm, fish, beef, sausages, and for a treat they have lumps of chicken which they fight over - Piranha feeding time is an awesome sight especially if they are hungry ;)

Between the 4 of them they will devour a piece of chicken the size of a credit card in about 10 seconds.

I've had them in a 2 foot tank since I got them but I will soon be upgrading to a 4 or 5 foot tank to give them some more room. They need no light (which I have only recently learnt!) as they are used to the murky waters of the Amazon.

The other photo is my 4 foot tank with various community fish in, and a big Plec with his cave :)

Attached Files

#39 Moose

Moose

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:31 PM

Nice tank Bas!

#40 Dan_05

Dan_05

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:12 PM

Yea certainly a lot more lively than mine lol.... my tank at the moment is terrible... half of it is dark and dirty and full of muck lol and then other half the fish swim in.. the 2 pangasius are not impressed... as one of them is about 9 inches long... and can hardly move lol

I might look at getting a bigger tank for them at some point when I have some £££... as apparently they can grow upto 1M depending on amount of room... now I'd love a 1M long fish lol

And then of course... might invest in piranhas as they sound rather cool :grin: :whistle:

#41 Bas

Bas

Pity The Fool, He Does

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 14,482 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:18 PM

Yea certainly a lot more lively than mine lol.... my tank at the moment is terrible... half of it is dark and dirty and full of muck lol and then other half the fish swim in.. the 2 pangasius are not impressed... as one of them is about 9 inches long... and can hardly move lol

I might look at getting a bigger tank for them at some point when I have some £££... as apparently they can grow upto 1M depending on amount of room... now I'd love a 1M long fish lol

And then of course... might invest in piranhas as they sound rather cool  :grin:  :lol:

View Post

I bought my Piranhas as babies really, and they aere £5 each.

The 8 inch ones in the shop now are on sale for £18.

Depends which ones you buy as some red bellies are rare and expensive. £5 is actually quite a lot for a small fish!

And as for a dirty tank, there is no excuse!! I give my big tank a 30% water change once a month, re-balance the pH and clean the filter. I also have active carbon in the filter which makes the water crystal clear.

I watch the fish more than the telly! And the Piranhas are in the kitchen (because it's where they belong!!) They just had a limp of liver the size of a matchbox. It was gone in 7 seconds because I timed them, just for you :whistle:

#42 Bas

Bas

Pity The Fool, He Does

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 14,482 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:40 PM

Dan - believe it or not, ebay has the answer :whistle:

These are the same as the ones I have.......

Mind your fingers!!

Edited by BasCop, 27 October 2005 - 08:40 PM.

#43 Basil the Rat

Basil the Rat

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:33 PM

I have 4 Red Bellied Piranhas (Pygocentrus piraya)

Yes I've had my hand in the tank  :whistle: - you have to sometimes, but as long as they are shown respect, and your hand moves slowly, it should be ok! In saying that, once they get bigger I might think twice :lol:

View Post

After you professor!!!!

That's a mighty big Plec you've got there! I had to give mine away when he got that big. How much fun do you have trying to catch yours?

Fantastic setup - I'm very envious!

(Why is some people like having pets that will eat or crush them at the first given chance??)

#44 Bas

Bas

Pity The Fool, He Does

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 14,482 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 05:13 PM

After you professor!!!!

That's a mighty big Plec you've got there! I had to give mine away when he got that big. How much fun do you have trying to catch yours?

Fantastic setup - I'm very envious!
(Why is some people like having pets that will eat or crush them at the first given chance??)

View Post

Thanks Basil :grin: Pleccy (as we like to call him!!) is about 8 inches, and apparently will grow to around 2 feet :whistle:

He's a Sailfin Plec, and is indeed very very fast. I've never had to try and catch him yet, and I'm really not looking forward to the day I do have to. The tank's decor will be in ruins when the net closes in on the big fella :lol:

I went looking for a Piranha tank today for 3 hours, and couldn't settle on any I saw! I'll probably end up with the same as I have now for the other fish - 4' x 18" x 18".

I only bought Piranha when I saw them in the shop. They were a fiver each, and an inch and a half long. Red Bellies are apparently one of the rarer breeds, and evidentally quite expensive. I'll try and get some more photos later :grin:

#45 Bas

Bas

Pity The Fool, He Does

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 14,482 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 05:32 PM

I have just managed to snap them whilst, for once, they were still! All they do is lurk in the water but as soon as you get the camera out they're on the move. Not this time :whistle:

Still not great quality as the autofocus won't work because the tank is dark and dingy :D

Go on, put your fingers in, I dare you :lol: :D

Attached Files

Edited by BasCop, 28 October 2005 - 05:33 PM.

#46 Ricky Diamond

Ricky Diamond

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:16 PM

I thought Turtles and Terrapins could be quite savage?

View Post

No, youre talking about my wife, give her pizza and she calms down though.

#47 Basil the Rat

Basil the Rat

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:19 PM

No, youre talking about my wife, give her pizza and she calms down though.

View Post

Five quid says she doesn't know about this place!

#48 Ricky Diamond

Ricky Diamond

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:24 PM

Five quid says she doesn't know about this place!

View Post

You owe me a fiver, shes sitting here now playing with her tamogotchi, is that some sort of medical product? Its probably more demanding than owning a turtle, it keeps bleeping all the time. All i remember about turtles is when the ninja turtle craze kicked off in the 1980's some unscrupulous dealers were selling kids those savage variety which cropped up in lakes a few years later eating the ducks when kids realised that they werent quite like leonardo,donetello etc.

#49 Dan_05

Dan_05

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 12:16 AM

I called mine Pleccy too lol

He's only about 4" long tho... did have one years ago that was about 10"... and boy was it fun getting him out... he once jumped out and landed on the carpet!

#50 Bas

Bas

Pity The Fool, He Does

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 14,482 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 05:45 PM

I've got the new Piranha tank set up - done on Saturday. Went to the shop to get a couple more rocks today, and ended up coming home with this plec - 12 inches long, with fantastic colours/markings. Piranhas will go in there in a day or two.

And the water isn't quite crystal clear yet but it's getting there.

Attached Files

Edited by BasCop, 31 October 2005 - 07:26 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users