• Please log in to reply
838 replies to this topic

#1 Bas

Bas

Pity The Fool, He Does

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 14,482 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 03:26 PM

I bought the kids a Turtle the other day. It's a River Cooter variety and he is about the size of a 50p piece!! (see attached photo - bit blurry though)

The shop (very reliable and knowledgable so far with my Piranha and Tropical fish purchases) said the way they were displayed is fine, which was a tank about 2 feet by 1 foot, 1 inch of water, and some rocks and a log so he can spend time out of the water.

Having now done some research, some websites are saying they should have a basking lamp, but other sites don't mention anything like.

Has anyone on here got experience of keeping Turtles, and what might I need. He's been in our tank for three days and he seems perfectly fine!

Attached Files

#2 piccolo

piccolo

Die Hard

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 03:28 PM

I hope you know ..in case the turtle will grow into something much bigger than a 50p piece :grin:

#3 Bas

Bas

Pity The Fool, He Does

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 14,482 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 03:37 PM

I hope you know ..in case the turtle will grow into something much bigger than a 50p piece :grin:

View Post

Yep about 12 inches max for this breed so I'm told - and that will take a good 20 years!

#4 piccolo

piccolo

Die Hard

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 03:41 PM

Yep about 12 inches max for this breed so I'm told - and that will take a good 20 years!

View Post

I heard that they need warmth..so a wee lamp..would do. (Me think)

#5 Basil the Rat

Basil the Rat

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:20 PM

I thought Turtles and Terrapins could be quite savage?

#6 Bas

Bas

Pity The Fool, He Does

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 14,482 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:24 PM

View Post

:whistle:

#7 Basil the Rat

Basil the Rat

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:25 PM

:whistle:

View Post

Well *I heard* they have a nasy bite.

#8 Professional_Cynic

Professional_Cynic

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:26 PM

View Post

just so long as its not teenage mutant and ninja bas should be fine :whistle:

#9 Bas

Bas

Pity The Fool, He Does

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 14,482 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:26 PM

Well *I heard* they have a nasy bite.

View Post

He's the size of a 50p piece. But will grow to 12 inches. Must admit I've heard thigs about them but can't remember exactly what variety etc. But he's out of the kids reach and in a tank he can't get out of.

Maybe I should get a "bird" to sort him out then!

I'm mainly after anyone who might know if they need a heat lamp though.

#10 piccolo

piccolo

Die Hard

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:29 PM

View Post

I think the Terrapins are the ones whom are a wee bit snappy.

#11 Professional_Cynic

Professional_Cynic

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:40 PM

I think the Terrapins are the ones whom are a wee bit snappy.

View Post

with this lot about you don't need to worry about the them being a wee bit snappy

Posted Image

#12 piccolo

piccolo

Die Hard

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:48 PM

with this lot about you don't need to worry about the them being a wee bit snappy

Posted Image

View Post

Oh DH......I still remember all their names.....
I just ask a mate and he said Terrapins are as snappy as his.....

#13 Basil the Rat

Basil the Rat

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 05:02 PM

I would have thought a normal aquarium hood with tropical flo tube in it will be quite adequate.

#14 Bas

Bas

Pity The Fool, He Does

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 14,482 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 05:29 PM

I would have thought a normal aquarium hood with tropical flo tube in it will be quite adequate.

View Post

Well it just so happens a mate of mine works in that industry - and can get anything like that with a 50% discount!!

#15 Baldric

Baldric

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:01 PM

Without wanting to speak out of turn or imply anything, but Shouldn't you have done your research on how they should be kept BEFORE you purchased the animal?

#16 Bas

Bas

Pity The Fool, He Does

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 14,482 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:51 PM

Without wanting to speak out of turn or imply anything, but Shouldn't you have done your research on how they should be kept BEFORE you purchased the animal?

View Post

Perhaps, but I asked the shopkeeper and he said they are fine how they were displayed. To be fair, he's been in the tank in my house three days, and seems fine. If he really needed a light so badly he would have showed signs by now.

And the people who own the shop know me quite well and wouldn't lie. Plus, I know how knowledgable they are.

It's no big deal really - just wondered if anyone knew more about them. Some websites suggest heat lamps, others not.

#17 David

David

Ninja Pussycat :)

• Moderators
  • 30,860 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 08:05 PM

Perhaps, but I asked the shopkeeper and he said they are fine how they were displayed. To be fair, he's been in the tank in my house three days, and seems fine. If he really needed a light so badly he would have showed signs by now.

View Post

Who? The shopkeeper?

#18 Basil the Rat

Basil the Rat

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 08:44 PM

Who? The shopkeeper?

View Post

We should be on the stage with this act.

#19 CoppersLot

CoppersLot

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 08:45 PM

Who? The shopkeeper?

View Post

Now that was funny :wink:

#20 Cheetah

Cheetah

The Fast One

• Moderators
  • 7,724 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 08:26 AM

I had a couple of terrapins some years ago and yes they can be a little snappy at times. Much like some of the posters on this forum. :whistle:

I had a heat lamp however it was only ever used when it was cool in the house. During the summer they had some sunshine through the windows and they appeared to enjoy sitting in it. The heat lamp went on in the colder winter months when the heating wasn't on. If they get cold they become quite sluggish and uninteresting. however, in the heat they can start to smell if not kept very clean.

As a kid I used to enjoy digging up worms for them to eat and occasionally they got a bit of fresh mince. As I got older and wiser, digging for worms became less fun.

One other thing regarding size. I was led to believe that they will grow in proportion to their surroundings. Mine never really grew more than about 3.5-4 inches in length so I suppose it depends on wether you keep upgrading their tank.

#21 Dickyp

Dickyp

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 11:10 AM

Cheetahs got it about right.
With them being reptilian they are not homothermic, so I think the most sensible thing to do would be monitor the animals micro environments temperature and humidity.
Find out what the optimum 'running temperature' is for said turtles and try and keep the environment as close to as as stable as possible to that temperature.
Rich

#22 Bas

Bas

Pity The Fool, He Does

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 14,482 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 03:30 PM

Who? The shopkeeper?

View Post

:lol: :whistle:

Thanks peeps I'm looking into it. I'll probably get a small lamp and have it so it heats the rocks in the corner. That way he has a warm place to go and if it gets too warm he can go elsewhere in the tank!

#23 dappycow

dappycow

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 03:47 PM

strangely bas, myself and tin tin have decided to get 3 of them when we move house next month- great minds huh? however, the place we're getting them say they like having friends. so maybe uv got an excuse to get another one?? :whistle:

#24 Amy

Amy

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 04:09 PM

Awww, I quite fancy having one of these little guys!

Are they expensive? Difficult to look after?

#25 JamesS

JamesS

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 04:18 PM

strangely bas, myself and tin tin have decided to get 3 of them when we move house next month- great minds huh? however, the place we're getting them say they like having friends. so maybe uv got an excuse to get another one?? :whistle:

View Post

lol, thats a good sales technique ill have to try that one at work.

No sorry sir you will have to buy 3 licenses to the software as they do tend to get lonely by themselves!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users