• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Razio

Razio

I'm new!

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 12:08 PM

Hello, a mate of mine was recently getting onto a motorway, going down the slip road beside him was a van towing another van. The two vans decided to move into the left hand lane of the slip road where my mate was, and hit his car. The driver of the van I would have thought is at fault, he probably forgot how long his vehicle now was (due to the extra van on the back). The van driver has said my mate was undertaking, which he wasn't! What are peoples views on this, is it my mate at fault for being in the left hand lane, or the vans for pulling into the lane where my mate was?
Also isn't there a law about towing on a motorway, something along the lines of you are only allowed to use a rope to tow to the nearest exit, but you can tow using a solid device, like a tow pole?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks in advanced!

#2 Bas

Bas

Pity The Fool, He Does

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 14,482 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 12:39 PM

As far as I am aware, towing is prohibited on motorways unless by a recovery vehicle.

Hopefully someone with more experience can verify this - or not!!

#3 pH_14

pH_14

Very Moderate

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 6,049 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 12:50 PM

I'm not aware of any specific law on this other than those applicable to any towing.... ie. provided it is safe to do so, you stick only to those lanes permitted and you do not exceed the relevant speed limit.

I'm sure that a Black Rat or similarly helpful soul will be along shortly.

Otherwise if someone could pop home and pick up my traffic officer's companion I'd be grateful........

#4 TheGovernor

TheGovernor

Die Hard

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 04:57 PM

As far as I can remember you are right...

Also isn't there a law about towing on a motorway, something along the lines of you are only allowed to use a rope to tow to the nearest exit, but you can tow using a solid device, like a tow pole?

So, if I read the situation right, they should have come off at the junction where your mate came on anyway. I expect they are also in the wrong for moving into his lane when he was already there. As far as a court would see it, they are the ones with an 'unusual' vehicle and they should be more vigilant when carrying out lane changes etc to take account of this.

#5 Razio

Razio

I'm new!

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 06:33 PM

Hi, cheers for the replys so far!

Alittle more info, both my mate and the two van's were both getting onto the motorway, and the van was towning using an old rope - old enough that when the towing van (the front van) hit him, the rope snapped.

I am sure some one told me that you are only allowed to use a rope on a motorway in an emergancy, i.e. when you are already on the motorway, and all you are allowed to do is tow to the nearest exit?

Any help is much appreciated, and anyone who could point out the specific law, or which law would cover this is a star!

Again thanks for your help!

#6 Bas

Bas

Pity The Fool, He Does

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 14,482 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 08:18 PM

If your vehicle is capable of being towed safely then you can arrange for a friend or relative to come and tow you with a normal towrope. There is no law against towing on the motorway as long as it is done safely and within the 60 mph speed limit for cars and trailers.

Source - "Traffic Answers.com

http://www.traffic-a...torways.htm#tow

#7 ASU

ASU

Settling In

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 223 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 04:31 PM

I was under the impression that on a motorway you could only tow with a rigid tow bar. Ask Black Rat.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users