• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Minerva

Minerva

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 11:33 AM

Does anybody know anything about this police force? I can't seem to find a website

#2 NJRob

NJRob

L Plates

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 09:12 AM

Got a little info if it helps.
Tees and Hartlepool Habour Police cover quite a vast area, ther's between six and twelve police that work for the port authority and carry ASPs, C.S and Speedcuffs as Cleveland Police.
They have the same powers as any other Constable, as long as it is within a mile of the docks or land owned by PD Teesport. (same as BTP) and can arrest people by using PACE or PD Teesport bye laws.
Hope this helps

#3 Ed Man

Ed Man

Experienced

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 03:58 PM

Tees and Hartlepool Habour Police cover quite a vast area, ther's between six and twelve police that work for the port authority and carry ASPs, C.S and Speedcuffs as Cleveland Police.
They have the same powers as any other Constable, as long as it is within a mile of the docks or land owned by PD Teesport. (same as BTP) and can arrest people by using PACE or PD Teesport bye laws.
Hope this helps

View Post

BTP now have standard HO force powers under the new terrorism act of a couple of years ago.

#4 e3steve

e3steve

Starting Out

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 07:53 PM

Hope this helps

View Post

Hope your information about Harbour Police is more accurate than your knowledge of the BTP ?

#5 Crucible

Crucible

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 12,813 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 07:23 AM

I wonder what authority they have to carry CS, as they are not a police force by virtue of the definition of the Police Act? It took a change in legislation for BTP to carry CS so I wonder how the private constabulary of a port authority can do so?

#6 pcso

pcso

Starting Out

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:24 PM

Tees & Hartlepool Harbour Police carry cuffs and asp but not authorised to carry CS gas. Check out my site for more info on this force.

http://uk.geocities....harbourpoliceuk

Attached Files

• Attached File  har1.jpg   89.7KB   78 downloads

#7 Patient

Patient

Forum Convert

• Excluded
  • 449 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 06:30 PM

I wonder what authority they have to carry CS, as they are not a police force by virtue of the definition of the Police Act? It took a change in legislation for BTP to carry CS so I wonder how the private constabulary of a port authority can do so?

Easy answer, phone and ask them, sure they will have the legitimate answer.

#8 UKBiker

UKBiker

I'm new!

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:19 PM

Well here's the answer :

Teesport Harbour Police CAN carry cuffs, baton and gas ... However we don't use CS as use on-board ships will spread and get everyone ... We are one of only a few forces that use Pava ( http://en.wikipedia....wiki/PAVA_spray ). which is much nastier but only affects who you hit with it.
We also have Cleveland Airwave radios, PNC access etc., and work alongside them using their custody and PHT. We do the same training as any police officer however we also get all the maritime training on top ie : Sea survival, boat handling etc.

Our powers are exactly the same as any constable, however we also have extra powers under the ISPS code ( http://en.wikipedia....y_Security_Code )

The only difference between us and a Home Office constable is we are privately funded. We have powers that come from Tees & Hartlepool Port Authority Act 1966 (Chapter XXV Part X Sec.103(1)) which gives the port the right to have its own police force.

P.S. Our jurisdiction extends 2 miles from high water - So that's basically 2 miles past Hartlepool, Redcar and the same inland. However this is being reviewed with the aim to become national jurisdiction.

Edited by UKBiker, 25 July 2010 - 12:26 PM.

#9 ninetyone

ninetyone

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:54 PM

I don't really want to challenge you, particularly if your force already does it, but...

CS/PAVA is controlled by the Firearms Act 1968, from which the only exceptions are: SCDEA, SOCA and regular police officers/PCSOs of territorial police forces, BTP and the CNC. This area of the law seems to be generally overlooked by everyone involved, because specials have been carrying for years and it makes no provision for them!

#10 UKBiker

UKBiker

I'm new!

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:24 PM

CS/PAVA is controlled by the Firearms Act 1968, from which the only exceptions are: SCDEA, SOCA and regular police officers/PCSOs of territorial police forces, BTP and the CNC.

Yea ... And we are regular police officers. Were sworn in, do the training, talk the talk and walk (Well drive octavia's really) the walk. There is no difference (Other than who pays our wages) between the harbour and regular police.

#11 modplod06

modplod06

Settling In

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:35 PM

Well here's the answer :

Teesport Harbour Police CAN carry cuffs, baton and gas ... However we don't use CS as use on-board ships will spread and get everyone ... We are one of only a few forces that use Pava ( http://en.wikipedia....wiki/PAVA_spray ). which is much nastier but only affects who you hit with it.
We also have Cleveland Airwave radios, PNC access etc., and work alongside them using their custody and PHT. We do the same training as any police officer however we also get all the maritime training on top ie : Sea survival, boat handling etc.

Our powers are exactly the same as any constable, however we also have extra powers under the ISPS code ( http://en.wikipedia....y_Security_Code )

The only difference between us and a Home Office constable is we are privately funded. We have powers that come from Tees & Hartlepool Port Authority Act 1966 (Chapter XXV Part X Sec.103(1)) which gives the port the right to have its own police force.

P.S. Our jurisdiction extends 2 miles from high water - So that's basically 2 miles past Hartlepool, Redcar and the same inland. However this is being reviewed with the aim to become national jurisdiction.

Most forces are moving away from CS as its not as effective as PAVA/Captor ans if discharged in a vehicle or railway carrage, that vehicle cant be used until its deep cleaned, were as PAVA is gone in 30 to 40 mins.

#12 ninetyone

ninetyone

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:36 PM

Yea ... And we are regular police officers. Were sworn in, do the training, talk the talk and walk (Well drive octavia's really) the walk. There is no difference (Other than who pays our wages) between the harbour and regular police.

I was trying to put it as simply as possible! My apologies if it wasn't clear.

The Firearms Act refers to "members of police forces".

"Police force", because it is undefined by the Firearms Act, has the meaning given by the Interpretation Act, which in turn is the one given by s101 of the Police Act 1996. In s101, "police force" refers to territorial police forces - police forces maintained for a police area under the Police Act 1996 - only. Therefore, the meaning does not include any harbour police force or any other type of police force, such as Mersey Tunnels etc.

"Member" means regular officer, and does not by any interpretation of police law include special constables, even those appointed to a territorial police force.

Of course, it is entirely possible that some other permission has been granted to the Teesport (and others, such as Dover who carry CS/PAVA if I remember correctly) within the mechanisms of the Firearms Act, but this is unlikely.

#13 Giraffe

Giraffe

PoliceSpecials.com Staff

• Moderators
  • 16,562 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:49 PM

I was trying to put it as simply as possible! My apologies if it wasn't clear.

The Firearms Act refers to "members of police forces".

"Police force", because it is undefined by the Firearms Act, has the meaning given by the Interpretation Act, which in turn is the one given by s101 of the Police Act 1996. In s101, "police force" refers to territorial police forces - police forces maintained for a police area under the Police Act 1996 - only. Therefore, the meaning does not include any harbour police force or any other type of police force, such as Mersey Tunnels etc.

"Member" means regular officer, and does not by any interpretation of police law include special constables, even those appointed to a territorial police force.

Of course, it is entirely possible that some other permission has been granted to the Teesport (and others, such as Dover who carry CS/PAVA if I remember correctly) within the mechanisms of the Firearms Act, but this is unlikely.

Very interesting post. So does that mean that Specials in E&W have been packing heat illegally for the last few years?! :strop:

#14 UKBiker

UKBiker

I'm new!

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:46 PM

The Firearms Act refers to "members of police forces". "Member" means regular officer

And what part of "We are as Harbour Constables exactly the same as 'Regular' officers" don't we get ? ... I am sworn in as a constable in front of a justice of the peace - Not as a Special or PCSO - A real true to life Police Officer .. I don't know where Specials get the power to use CS, but I know where I get mine ... The same place as 'regular' police officers.

#15 pcso

pcso

Starting Out

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

When did Tees & Hartlepool Harbour constables get the pava spray? It must have been fairly recently, I never noticed it on Jim the sgt when he called at South Bank nick, although I may have missed it!

#16 Steve Collins

Steve Collins

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:12 PM

Do yhey have a hanging monkey on their cap badge?

#17 pcso

pcso

Starting Out

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:15 PM

Do yhey have a hanging monkey on their cap badge?

No but its a nice design

Attached Files

#18 E29NP

E29NP

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 8,528 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:27 PM

No but its a nice design

A lapel pin was done of this many years ago. I have one somewhere.

#19 pcso

pcso

Starting Out

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:32 PM

I have a lapel pin too and had contact with the officer who designed and had produced the cap badge. He now works for MDP.

#20 ninetyone

ninetyone

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:39 PM

And what part of "We are as Harbour Constables exactly the same as 'Regular' officers" don't we get ? ... I am sworn in as a constable in front of a justice of the peace - Not as a Special or PCSO - A real true to life Police Officer .. I don't know where Specials get the power to use CS, but I know where I get mine ... The same place as 'regular' police officers.

I'm sorry, I tried to explain it very clearly in my last post. You see to have just skipped the definition of "police force" in it's entirety :) It's not worth arguing the toss, let's leave it at that.

#21 UKBiker

UKBiker

I'm new!

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

I'm sorry, I tried to explain it very clearly in my last post. You see to have just skipped the definition of "police force" in it's entirety :prone: It's not worth arguing the toss, let's leave it at that.

You are only quoting from the Act you know.

Here's my authority taken straight out of the act I mentioned earlier :

CH. XXV Part X Sec.103.

(l) The Authority may continue and maintain the
separate police force maintained by the Tees Commissioners
immediately before the appointed day for police duty within the
harbour, and may from time to time appoint officers and men for
that purpose who shall hold office at pleasure.

(2) In the event of the continuance of the said separate police
force under this section the provisions specified in Schedule 9
to this Act and the provisions of sections 51, 52 and 53 of the
Police Act 1964 (which concern assaults on constables, impersonation,
etc., and causing disaffection) shall apply thereto.

(3) Every member of the said separate police force shall, on
appointment, be attested as a constable by making a declaration
before a justice of the peace having jurisdiction within the harbour
and such declaration shall be in the form set out in Schedule 2
to the Police Act 1964.

(4) Members of the said separate police force shall have all
the powers and privileges and shall be entitled to the indemnities
and protection of a constable within the harbour and in any
place not more than 2 miles beyond the limits of the harbour.

So where in all that does it say 'They shall not be a regular officer' ? ... Section (4) says differently.

When did Tees & Hartlepool Harbour constables get the pava spray? It must have been fairly recently, I never noticed it on Jim the sgt when he called at South Bank nick, although I may have missed it!

Its not been that long ... Not sure the exact date as it was just before I joined. Check now and he will be well happy to show you Posted Image

#22 ninetyone

ninetyone

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

I don't want to turn this into an argument, but it's hard to tell whether you're being deliberately disingenuous or otherwise.

The right to carry a weapon that is controlled by the Firearms Act is not granted by the fact that someone has "the powers and privileges" or "the indemnities and protection" of a constable*. The right to carry the weapon is granted by section 54 of that Act, which makes provision for people in the service of Her Majesty - the Crown. You are a servant of the port company, not the Crown.

Section 54(3) provides that "members of police forces" are deemed to be people in the service of Her Majesty for the purposes of the Act. The definition of "member of a police force" is not at all clear, and has different meanings in England & Wales and Scotland.

As I explained in a post above, "police force" has a meaning given by the Interpretation Act 1978. It only includes "Home Office" police forces, that is police forces maintained for a police area under the Police Act 1996 or Police (Scotland) Act 1967.

As to the meaing of "member", this section of the Firearms Act is extremely poorly written. By any logical reading of the phrase "members of a police force", territorial specials in E&W are excluded. "Member of a police forces" has a very specific meaning given by the Police Act, and that meaning is used in related legislation. However, the phrase "member of a police force" has no meaning in relation to Scottish forces - but by a reasonable interpretation would extend to the entire force, regulars and specials, and therefore create a discrepancy between England and Scotland. (Per subsections (3A) & (3B), BTP specials are included with regulars, but only by unnecessarily strenuous interpretation.)

It is only a matter of time before a legal challenge is brought under this section and I dread to think what will happen when it does.

(*This phrasing of subsection (4) is used to attract (in legislative terminology) those sections of the law that give powers & privileges to constables. (Incidentally, the phrasing used in the Tees and Hartlepool Port Authority Act 1966 is, as far as I know, unique to that Act.))

#23 UKBiker

UKBiker

I'm new!

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:32 PM

The right to carry the weapon is granted by section 54 of that Act, which makes provision for people in the service of Her Majesty - the Crown. You are a servant of the port company, not the Crown.

I'm not trying to be awkward in this debate nor argue for no reason. Yes we are paid by a port, however we stand in front of a magistrate and swear the SAME attestation as a regular police officer :

"I, ... of ... do solemnly and sincerely declare and affirm that I will well and truly serve the Queen in the office of constable, with fairness, integrity, diligence and impartiality, upholding fundamental human rights and according equal respect to all people; and that I will, to the best of my power, cause the peace to be kept and preserved and prevent all offences against people and property; and that while I continue to hold the said office I will to the best of my skill and knowledge discharge all the duties thereof faithfully according to law."

So I am in the service of the crown even if a 3rd party pay my wages ... Cleveland Police are sticklers for doing things right ... No way would they ever let us have PAVA, batons, Police vehicles and their Airwave sets if we were not allowed by law to have them. The Crown see us as full regular officers as do Cleveland Police, CPS, Parliament and the House of Lords - Who are just about to grant us National Jurisdiction.

#24 HazRat

HazRat

Supreme Poster

• Members
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:22 PM

[font="sans-serif"][size="3"][size=2]So I am in the service of the crown even if a 3rd party pay my wages ... Cleveland Police are sticklers for doing things right ... No way would they ever let us have PAVA, batons, Police vehicles and their Airwave sets if we were not allowed by law to have them.

I was under the impression that in order to be an Airwave user you had to be approved by the Govt. Cleveland Police cannot simply take you under their wing and provide you with their Airwave terminals if your force is not an approved sharer in its own right.

#25 FPO

FPO

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 478 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:20 PM

So, by what authority do BTP/CNC and in particular MDP carry their CS/PAVA ninety-one? The question had never really occured to me until now! What an interesting topic for debate. :aok:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users