xand_xand

vehicle asb driver not identified

xand_xand    14

Out on duty in full uniform in a marked patrol vehicle, you are stationary and talking with a group of youths on a large field which is used for parking during summer months.

You spot a vehicle to the far side of the field (lets say a black bmw 1 series) drive toward a group of other parked up vehicles at speed and perform a doughnut in front of them.

The driver then spots you and takes off and leaves the scene. By the time you make your way back to the highway to catch up with the vehicle it has gone.

You spend a few minutes searching the immediate area but to no avail.

You decide to return to the area of the incident and immediately notice that a black bmw has returned to the scene and is currently parked up next to a group of other vehicles.

You approach the vehicle and the driver makes himself known to you.

You inform him of what you witnessed and the driver states '' Yeh it wasn't me driving the car it was my mechanic,  he has had it all day trying to fix the engine management light problem, he was looking for me to return the vehicle and my mates said he was driving like an idiot''.

You ask him to provide details of the person driving the vehicle to which he refuses saying '' Im not telling you his name as i dont want him in trouble i guess ill have to take the blame for it''.

No previous issues relating to the vehicle or the driver when you run it through the books.

What would you have done?

george b    36
2 hours ago, xand_xand said:

Out on duty in full uniform in a marked patrol vehicle, you are stationary and talking with a group of youths on a large field which is used for parking during summer months.

You spot a vehicle to the far side of the field (lets say a black bmw 1 series) drive toward a group of other parked up vehicles at speed and perform a doughnut in front of them.

The driver then spots you and takes off and leaves the scene. By the time you make your way back to the highway to catch up with the vehicle it has gone.

You spend a few minutes searching the immediate area but to no avail.

You decide to return to the area of the incident and immediately notice that a black bmw has returned to the scene and is currently parked up next to a group of other vehicles.

You approach the vehicle and the driver makes himself known to you.

You inform him of what you witnessed and the driver states '' Yeh it wasn't me driving the car it was my mechanic,  he has had it all day trying to fix the engine management light problem, he was looking for me to return the vehicle and my mates said he was driving like an idiot''.

You ask him to provide details of the person driving the vehicle to which he refuses saying '' Im not telling you his name as i dont want him in trouble i guess ill have to take the blame for it''.

No previous issues relating to the vehicle or the driver when you run it through the books.

What would you have done?

Can you confirm beyond all reasonable doubt that it was the same vehicle, if you cant your options are limited tto issuing a s59 against the vehicle, you could go down the,s172 route and establish who TH. Driver was, but you still can't take it to court with out a positive identification or an admission

Edited by george b

Beaker    61
1 hour ago, george b said:

Can you confirm beyond all reasonable doubt that it was the same vehicle, if you cant your options are limited tto issuing a s59 against the vehicle, you could go down the,s172 route and establish who TH. Driver was, but you still can't take it to court with out a positive identification or an admission

Keeper confirmed it was the same car.  Keeper says he wasn't driving.  Keeper refuses to identify who was driving.  S172 seems complete to me.  If he'd said he was driving, or identified the driver I'd go down the S59 route.  As he refuses he'd get charged as RTA S172 for refusing to identify who the driver is. 

george b    36
3 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Keeper confirmed it was the same car.  Keeper says he wasn't driving.  Keeper refuses to identify who was driving.  S172 seems complete to me.  If he'd said he was driving, or identified the driver I'd go down the S59 route.  As he refuses he'd get charged as RTA S172 for refusing to identify who the driver is. 

the keeper repeated here say🎃 someone told him it was the same car, you might need to track down these people,and see if any of them made a note of the reg no. Other wise its the same thing as the pc thinking its the same car

are you suggesting the op made a,formal 172 request,? there is nothing in the post to suggest that is so

Beaker    61
36 minutes ago, george b said:

the keeper repeated here say🎃 someone told him it was the same car, you might need to track down these people,and see if any of them made a note of the reg no. Other wise its the same thing as the pc thinking its the same car

are you suggesting the op made a,formal 172 request,? there is nothing in the post to suggest that is so

Fair point, mate has confirmed the car.  So mate can reconfirm it's the same car.  Then we can double down on the S172.

Indiana Jones    390
1 hour ago, george b said:

the keeper repeated here say🎃 someone told him it was the same car

Only the quote about driving like an idiot might be hearsay. The RK had first hand knowledge of his mechanic being the driver. The police officer had direct knowledge of the bad driving as he'd witnessed it.

george b    36
1 hour ago, Indiana Jones said:

Only the quote about driving like an idiot might be hearsay. The RK had first hand knowledge of his mechanic being the driver. The police officer had direct knowledge of the bad driving as he'd witnessed it.

its identifying the car seen spinning as the one now parked up  that's the problem, let's say he says who the mechanic was, you still can't tie the car to the offence unless he admits to it, you need a reg no or at the very least something really distinctive about the car, which is hard to do for either across a football field

PCW    58

However if "mates" had seen the mechanic driving the car like an idiot, maybe a quick question or two might identify this BMW as being the very same involved in the original incident.

george b    36
On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 07:12, PCW said:

However if "mates" had seen the mechanic driving the car like an idiot, maybe a quick question or two might identify this BMW as being the very same involved in the original incident.

possibly, but young men who hang about in gangs on sports fields,may not be the type of young men who want to be known as police informers,particularly as if you want to use it as evidence for court, you are going to require them to complete a witness statement and if required turn up at court to give evidence. Could be a hard sell?