Buck

Driving in the Specials - The Definitive Thread

Recommended Posts

PC Will    27

One thing I know for sure, the station I work out of has no response or above, capable specials.

Just this morning I received a DS email (Sent to myself and all others) reminding us of our duties to challenge unacceptable behaviour, from our colleagues.

We were then reminded that BASIC drivers in the specials have NO authority to use blue lights, exceed the speed limit, or proceed through red lights whilst driving...

I can only imagine a special with a basic permit has been caught doing one of the above..

I'm wondering - would something like this lead to dismissal, or a severe warning? I suppose it all depends on the reason for doing so.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SC Will said:

One thing I know for sure, the station I work out of has no response or above, capable specials.

Just this morning I received a DS email (Sent to myself and all others) reminding us of our duties to challenge unacceptable behaviour, from our colleagues.

We were then reminded that BASIC drivers in the specials have NO authority to use blue lights, exceed the speed limit, or proceed through red lights whilst driving...

I can only imagine a special with a basic permit has been caught doing one of the above..

I'm wondering - would something like this lead to dismissal, or a severe warning? I suppose it all depends on the reason for doing so.... 

It completely depends on case by case,

 

if if your doing 31 in a 30 probably just a verbal, if your on blues doing 60 in a 30 you'll get stuck on/points on your police licence and normal licence/revoked from driving.

Weigh it up, for example, I hear an emer button go off and I'm not far, progress will be made but you need to justify why. Luckily I *should* be on a response course soon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/02/2017 at 12:46, SC Will said:

As a serving special in the Met, it's been mentioned we may be getting level 3 driver soon (basic), but that's it, the issue at the minute is the cost of paying for everyone to go on a response or pursuit driving course, until then there's no way we're getting anything beyond level 3 basic.

Just waiting for my day 1 results from the D1 AC for the regs!

Level 3 is a response driver.

 

level 4 is basic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/06/2017 at 16:12, SC Will said:

I think you'd be surprised, I've been with regulars who have been in the job 7 years plus and still haven't done a response driving course.

I'm almost tempted to transfer across to Kent, despite the significant pay decrease (£25k versus nearly £30k in the Met) as it seems you have more chance of progression more quickly.

With the Met it seems unless you want to spend literally your entire life doing the job you won't get to have most of the perks.....

As I say, it was a FOI request from last year, the person more or less asked how many specials in the met were basic, or response or above drivers, of which the answer was 26 basic drivers and only 2 were response capable, i'll bet these were on central London (busy) boroughs too.

On shift a few months ago, we had 2 IRV courses become available, they were spread around and offered to 4 teams, 3 of the teams all had response or drivers that weren't interested, the final team who I was on shift with, seized the opportunity, both courses were taken within about a minute of the skipper going "We have two IRV Courses available, if you'd like them make me aware now and i'll take your name".

I recall reading something online, probably on this forum somewhere recently that said at one point specials were given response courses if they wanted them BUT (and it's a big one!) they had to fund them themselves, and they couldn't just buy a course for themselves, they had to buy a few, at a cost of roughly £2,000 each time.

There's 3 response msc officers on my borough...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PC Will    27
8 hours ago, Sierraoscar54 said:

There's 3 response msc officers on my borough...

Like I say, freedom of information request from last year, or may have been 2015... not sure.

Doubtless it's changed since then, or incorrect facts were provided..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mla    183
It completely depends on case by case,
 
if if your doing 31 in a 30 probably just a verbal, if your on blues doing 60 in a 30 you'll get stuck on/points on your police licence and normal licence/revoked from driving.
Weigh it up, for example, I hear an emer button go off and I'm not far, progress will be made but you need to justify why. Luckily I *should* be on a response course soon 


It's funny, every new generation of office says exactly the same thing. And an urgent assistance is always the example used.

This is precisely the opposite of what you should do. If, and I say that in the circumstances you manage not to have a collision or be the cause of one, you get to the job any responsible officer should be calling up traffic and ensuring you are stuck on. The likely outcome being a gross misconduct allegation for disobeying orders and instructions and a key piece of evidence will be the "statement of expectation for a basic driver" you would have signed.

Also, such public and blatant disregard for disobeying the rules is not very professional, is arbitrary as why just disobey for this type of call - there are others where police are urgently needed on scene and finally, if you follow my good advice and get on a course, upon its completion you too will undoubtedly agree with my assertion.

Put simply, do not use exemptions when not trained how to, ever, for any reasons.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2017 at 01:19, mla said:

 


It's funny, every new generation of office says exactly the same thing. And an urgent assistance is always the example used.

This is precisely the opposite of what you should do. If, and I say that in the circumstances you manage not to have a collision or be the cause of one, you get to the job any responsible officer should be calling up traffic and ensuring you are stuck on. The likely outcome being a gross misconduct allegation for disobeying orders and instructions and a key piece of evidence will be the "statement of expectation for a basic driver" you would have signed.

Also, such public and blatant disregard for disobeying the rules is not very professional, is arbitrary as why just disobey for this type of call - there are others where police are urgently needed on scene and finally, if you follow my good advice and get on a course, upon its completion you too will undoubtedly agree with my assertion.

Put simply, do not use exemptions when not trained how to, ever, for any reasons.

 

Wow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beaker    64

Am I weird that as a Special I don't want Blue Light driving?  It's a perishable skill, and I only do 30ish hours a month.  It could be 2-3 months between runs, and don't feel I could be kept sharp enough to be safe.  If I was doing a few every week I'd be fine, but I'm not. 

I've had a discussion this weekend with my SCI, and he's got me down now for Carriers as they're desperately short.  I don't mind that as I'll get vans too.  I think that is enough unless you're going to be doing multiple shifts per week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shmook    196
22 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Am I weird that as a Special I don't want Blue Light driving?  It's a perishable skill, and I only do 30ish hours a month.  It could be 2-3 months between runs, and don't feel I could be kept sharp enough to be safe.  If I was doing a few every week I'd be fine, but I'm not. 

I've had a discussion this weekend with my SCI, and he's got me down now for Carriers as they're desperately short.  I don't mind that as I'll get vans too.  I think that is enough unless you're going to be doing multiple shifts per week.

Didn't realise you were old enough to qualify for carriers!

Agree with blue runs. We don't need it really. Many a time I've been first on scene at grade 1's, even in an unmarked corsa. We have good people in comms though who know where we are better than we do...!

I can't wait for compliant stops to come in though. That should be part of the A-B training.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beaker    64
5 minutes ago, Shmook said:

Didn't realise you were old enough to qualify for carriers!

Agree with blue runs. We don't need it really. Many a time I've been first on scene at grade 1's, even in an unmarked corsa. We have good people in comms though who know where we are better than we do...!

I can't wait for compliant stops to come in though. That should be part of the A-B training.

40 last January!  Old Man here.

I've been on a couple of shifts where they had nobody to drive the Fun Bus because the carrier driver was busy elsewhere.  So I assume It'll also be appreciated by the regs, as they always look dissapointed. 

Compliant stop would be handy too, but risk/reward tells me that I don't want blues.  Too much hassle as an SC. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/06/2017 at 01:19, mla said:

 


It's funny, every new generation of office says exactly the same thing. And an urgent assistance is always the example used.

This is precisely the opposite of what you should do. If, and I say that in the circumstances you manage not to have a collision or be the cause of one, you get to the job any responsible officer should be calling up traffic and ensuring you are stuck on. The likely outcome being a gross misconduct allegation for disobeying orders and instructions and a key piece of evidence will be the "statement of expectation for a basic driver" you would have signed.

Also, such public and blatant disregard for disobeying the rules is not very professional, is arbitrary as why just disobey for this type of call - there are others where police are urgently needed on scene and finally, if you follow my good advice and get on a course, upon its completion you too will undoubtedly agree with my assertion.

Put simply, do not use exemptions when not trained how to, ever, for any reasons.

 

Just to clear this up;

 

this is a hypothetical situation and I have not done this in the real world.

This is just all make believe on this forum so please take things with a pinch of salt. If you could kindly point out where I have said I have done that. Exactly. I haven't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PCW    60

Please do not turn this thread into a unnecessary argument.

I am all up for healthy debate. But this is starting to turn out not to be one. Please take this as a friendly warning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sapor62    108

There are a substantial amount of MSC Response drivers, there are even MSC Officers trained to an Advanced Level and maybe 5 or 6 who are also TPAC. There are hundreds of Basic Drivers in the MSC, the information provided is grossly out of date.

Just go onto DS and under Directory put in one of the traffic garages and you'll nearly all of the MSC there are basic, a lot of them Response and some are Advanced or TPAC.

The ban has been lifted on Specials doing driving courses, but no funding has been allocated as of yet for Borough based units, some funding has been made available for MSC on "Specialist" units like Traffic, SO, etc and it makes sense they get them first as they're likely to use the skill more than a borough officer.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now