Buck

Driving in the Specials - The Definitive Thread

142 posts in this topic

The one with more enthusiasm for the job

Well, yes, that'd be nice too - but not to the detriment of safety. All officers do is moan, you just have to look past it and not follow suit down the same self-destructive path. In some respects the attitudes of some officers are akin to or worse than firefighters... but that's another story entirely.

Oh I don't know. The massive responsibility with fall out that could be life changing and jeopardise your own professional career should any serious incident occur. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the role and fully respect the job that response drivers do, however I would much rather leave it to someone more experienced - like a regular who does the job day in day out.

You have two fully qualified sailors going out on a mission in the North Sea. Sailor 1 has 10 years experience at sea and does 2,600 hours per annum. Sailor 2 has 10 years experience at sea and does 200 hours per annum.

Which Sailor do you go to Sea with? Both are equally as qualified on paper...

So all specials do the minimum do they? That's ridiculous. I do near the amount of a regular!

Edited by KJ.

in Goody's example

to pour petrol on the fire

" the one that is not complacent about their skills ... "

So all specials do the minimum do they? That's ridiculous. I do near the amount of a regular!

Congratulations, KJ. Would you be doing as much response driving as a regular though?

in Goody's example

to pour petrol on the fire

" the one that is not complacent about their skills ... "

Neither of them in that scenario are. The facts are that one does 2600pa and the other 200pa. Both are equally qualified and both know how many hours they have under their belt. Both are competent.

Merseyside Police

Once you obtain Independent Patrol Status you can apply for Basic A-B which covers low powered cars and vans. No Patrolling, No Compliant Stops. However, they have recently brought in that you are able to convey passengers and DP's.

If you are lucky enough to get nominated for a D1 Carrier Course they will help you acquire your D1 Licence and Carrier Course. Unless you've already got your D1 Licence this normally goes to those with rank from S/Sgt above.

NWP/HGC currently offer the Basic Driving course (without compliance stops) for IP Specials and those soon to achieve IP status (subject to supervisor approval). This includes small van training as we utilise Connect vans.

The force is looking into trialing a 2 day compliance course. This is currently on trial with another force and is being observed closely.

Kent has Basic A to B with compliance stop for IP specials. Evening theory and highway code test and a separate morning or afternoon practical assessment

Standard offered for specials who complete 40hrs pcm and an operational need for it. LONG waiting list obviously!

Advanced and TPAC for specials RPU

Edited by Starts_23

We also have Special RPU officers who are on the bikes.. :w00t:

Kent has Basic A to B with compliance stop for IP specials. Evening theory and highway code test and a separate morning or afternoon practical assessment
Standard offered for specials who complete 40hrs pcm and an operational need for it. LONG waiting list obviously!

Not sure how long this list will actually be given the full requirement list.

Would I be right in saying that those of us young enough to have very few categories on their licence the forces generally wouldn't contribute towards getting those categories? And would it be the same for the regs?

Would I be right in saying that those of us young enough to have very few categories on their licence the forces generally wouldn't contribute towards getting those categories? And would it be the same for the regs?

I know that some forces used to put Specials through category D1 courses in the past, but in the current budgetary climate, I'd say that it would be unlikely (or at least, less likely) that forces would be inclined to pay for theory/practical tests for Special Constables, although I'd never say never. I guess it would depend on operational need and how good a business case you could put forward.

Regulars are probably slightly different and therefore are more likely to get tests paid for by the force, as the police forces have much more of a vested interest in regular officers.

1 person likes this

Depends on what force you are with - I know for certain that the force I am in will pay for officers to obtain their D1.

2 people like this

Does anybody know the score with driving responsibilities for BTP Specials?

3 hours ago, PCW said:

now @junior_7178 I would imagine that it varies in each area of BTP although maybe @MindTheGap might be able to assist?

Specials in BTP can drive police vehicles on general patrol, response, they could if already qualified drive the ERU police-fire engines.

The issue is getting a course for specials, us regulars are all waiting for them but we're reorganising driver training to bring it in house.

As a serving special in the Met, it's been mentioned we may be getting level 3 driver soon (basic), but that's it, the issue at the minute is the cost of paying for everyone to go on a response or pursuit driving course, until then there's no way we're getting anything beyond level 3 basic.

Just waiting for my day 1 results from the D1 AC for the regs!