Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Daily Mail: Gurkha ignores knife wound to trap his mugger for 15 minutes while blade was stuck in his arm

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Forum Legend

• Power Users
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

Gurkha ignores knife wound to trap his mugger for 15 minutes while blade was stuck in his arm

• Taitex Phlamachha, 38, from Kent, warned his attacker 'don't mess with me'
  • The father-of-two served as a Gurkha with Maidstone's 36 Engineers for 13 years
  • Jamie Hall, aged 39, has been charged with grievous bodily harm

A former Gurkha soldier fought off a mugger in spite of having a 6in knife blade jammed into his arm – then managed to keep hold of his attacker for 15 minutes while he waited for the police to arrive.
Shop owner Taitex Phlamachha had just been to a cashpoint with his wife when he was pushed up against a wall and told to ‘hand over the money’ or get stabbed.
Mr Phlamachha, 38, from Maidstone, Kent, a Gurkha with Maidstone's 36 Engineers for 13 years, said: ‘I tried to warn him, “Don’t mess with Gurkhas. We’re trained to fight.” But he didn’t listen.’

Posted Image
Father-of-two Taitex Phlamachha recovering in hospital following the attack which left him serious injuries to his left arm

The tussling pair fell to the ground and the mugger knelt on Mr Phlamachha’s chest before trying to stab him in the stomach four or five times.

But the Gurkha blocked him, then disabled the knifeman with a kick before holding on to his clothes with one arm.
However, the blade of the knife had become lodged in his arm, and it was the handle that fell to the floor.

During the struggle he was able to free his mobile phone from his pocket and throw it to his wife, who called the police.
Mr Phlamachha, a veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan and a second-dan black belt in karate, did not know how badly he was injured until he saw the knife handle on the road.

Posted Image
An X-ray picture the six inch blade left stuck in Mr Phlamachha's arm. The handle of the knife broke off and was found later in the street

Posted Image
The attack happened near Maidstone town centre at around 10.30pm after the couple had taken out money from a cash machine. File picture

He said: ‘I was in pain but it was only when I got to hospital the blade was discovered inside me.’
Mr Phlamachha, who retired from the Gurkhas last year, told Kent Online: 'I'm proud to be a Gurkha and I'm a proud father.
'Nothing like this has ever happened to me before and I will do anything to protect myself and family.'
He was treated for serious injuries at Maidstone Hospital following the incident at around 10.30pm on Sunday, October 7, police said.
Jamie Hall, aged 39, of Fairmeadow in Maidstone, has been charged with attempted robbery, grievous bodily harm with intent, possession of an offensive weapon and common assault.
A spokesperson for Kent Police said he has been remanded in prison where he is due to appear at Maidstone Crown Court for his next hearing.

Posted Image
'Don't mess with Gurkhas. We're trained to fight': Mr Phlamachha is a second-dan black belt in karate (file picture)

Read more: http://www.dailymail...-stuck-arm.html

#2 E29NP

E29NP

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 8,514 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

Ayo Gurkhali!!!

#3 darthcheese

darthcheese

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

Gurkhas, as ever are double hard so and so's. Good job that man.

#4 Chewie

Chewie

PS.com Staff & Wookiee

• Moderators
  • 10,289 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

Fantastic stuff, good for him! Hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

(Although no doubt the "What was he thinking, he had no PPE!" brigade will be along shortly to have a dig at him...)

#5 Space Marine

Space Marine

Forum Regular

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

Fantastic stuff, good for him! Hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

(Although no doubt the "What was he thinking, he had no PPE!" brigade will be along shortly to have a dig at him...)

Gurkhas don't need PPE. They have their Kukri knives (Though not on this occasion obviously :new_yes:)

Posted Image

Edited by -Ghost-, 14 October 2012 - 01:25 PM.

#6 L-M.A.B_90

L-M.A.B_90

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

Here's hoping that they throw the book at the scum responsible!

#7 TallGuy

TallGuy

Supreme Poster

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

Well done that man. Either it was a cheap, badly made knife, or there was some force used there. :w00t:

#8 David

David

Ninja Pussycat :)

• Moderators
  • 31,433 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

I will say here and now we've treated Gurkhas abominably in the past, but my God I am glad they are on our side and not theirs.

Intensely loyal and incredibly tough, I know who I'd back in any sort of combat.

#9 Merlin820

Merlin820

PS.com All Woman

• Members
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

Gurkhas don't need PPE. They have their Kukri knives (Though not on this occasion obviously :new_yes:)

I think Chewie may know that. :new_yes:

#10 Space Marine

Space Marine

Forum Regular

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

I think Chewie may know that. :new_yes:

:raz:

#11 Corbs

Corbs

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 5,231 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

The Gurkhas are simultaneaously some of the hardest and friendliest people I have ever met.

Hope Mr Phlamachha recovers well and quickly, and that the attacker gets put away for a good long while.

#12 TallGuy

TallGuy

Supreme Poster

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

The Gurkhas are simultaneaously some of the hardest and friendliest people I have ever met.

I know when they are on gate I will be treated professionally and politely.

#13 mikeb21

mikeb21

Trooper

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

I love it when the tables get turned on robbers/muggers. Proud to have Mr Phlamachha and his comrades living here.

Edited by mikeb21, 14 October 2012 - 02:40 PM.

#14 Burnie

Burnie

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 5,219 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:22 PM

2 Gurkha stories:

1 - With the ATC we used to use an army barracks for an annual competition day at which a regiment of Gurkhas was based. On 2 occasions (out of 3) some of them have come out to watch the drill competition and it didnt matter how good or bad you did they gave you a good solid round of applause as you marched off.

2 - One from my mum. A fairly elderly reclusive, introverted, loner type caretaker of a school my mum used to work at passed away. He had no family and the only thing resembling friends were the school staff. No-one knew anything about him. They organised a cremation and just as the service is about to start a plain white coach pulls up and off climb the Gurkhas in full ceremonial kit.

The sergeant comes over and apologises "Sorry we're late. We only found out he had passed away this morning and we insisted on coming to pay our respects to the man who fought alongside our forebears so bravely in the face of the enemy".

Turns out that during WWII he had been a British Sergeant embedded with the Gurkhas and had gained near legendary status amongst them and they saw him as an equal. Consequently when they heard he had passed away they got their kit, got a coach from MT and travelled up to the midlands from their barracks near london to pay their final respects, even though those present had not served with him, such was their loyalty and respect for the man.

The Gurkhas really are in a league of their own.

#15 jvt1

jvt1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

Absolutely agree with Corbs, friendliest guys and at the same time hard as nails

#16 Nim

Nim

Bagpuss fan

• Members
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

Ow! Eeeek. Good on him, he was even nice enough to warn him not to mess with him!

#17 Killicksparker

Killicksparker

Forum Legend

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

I'm REALLY glad they are on our side. Respect :prone:

#18 Shikari

Shikari

Forum Legend

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

One of the best charities my parents support (I can't afford to yet, don't judge) is the Gurkha welfare trust, which supports retired Gurkhas and their families. Amazing people worthy of the ultimate respect.

Looks like that mugger chose the wrong victim. Don't mess.

#19 Milankovitch

Milankovitch

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

A load of ex-Ghurkas work as security guards (for G4S, shock horror) at the Employment Tribunal offices in Aberdeen, some of the less polite people attending soon find their manners.

#20 Bill Gibbons

Bill Gibbons

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:14 PM

A load of ex-Ghurkas work as security guards (for G4S, shock horror) at the Employment Tribunal offices in Aberdeen, some of the less polite people attending soon find their manners.

The Ghurkas are fantastic soldiers - and great people. I am proud to have known them when living in Chatham. You NEVER messed with the Ghurkas. Never. Any foolish individual who did, ended up feeling VERY sorry for themselves. Mr. Phlamachha is a hero. How about hiring him on as a Special? He reminds me very much of the 30 or so police officers I hired on from the Philippines. Same sort of polite, but tough and no-nonsense officers that have done us proud here.

I'm just finishing off the paperwork to bring another six of them over here.

Can't wait!

#21 L-M.A.B_90

L-M.A.B_90

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

The Ghurkas are fantastic soldiers - and great people. I am proud to have known them when living in Chatham. You NEVER messed with the Ghurkas. Never. Any foolish individual who did, ended up feeling VERY sorry for themselves. Mr. Phlamachha is a hero. How about hiring him on as a Special? He reminds me very much of the 30 or so police officers I hired on from the Philippines. Same sort of polite, but tough and no-nonsense officers that have done us proud here.

I'm just finishing off the paperwork to bring another six of them over here.

Can't wait!

Hmm, this sounds very interesting... Bringing officers from the Philippines over here as Specials? (I presume?) - from the Philippine National Police?
My Wife is a filipina and I love spending time in the Philippines, Cebu city...! :)

#22 Cheetah

Cheetah

The Fast One

• Moderators
  • 8,253 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

L-M.A.B_90, Bill Gibbons owns a security company in Canada, I believe that's what he means by bringing them over here.