8 replies to this topic

#1 captain mannering

captain mannering

I'm new!

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

Hello all,

I am applying to become a special constable, I have previously applied but have been unsuccesful, due to paper sift. However there are two major things that are really worrying me:

1 - I received a caution in January 2006 for criminal damage, essentially I had an argument with my brother and I kicked the door in the living room, it broke and my mother had enough so she call the police and I was charged.

2 - I was fired in a call centre job, I essentially swore at the boss and got my things and walked out, simply because he was bullying me and I just had enough of it. (thats the short story but I was in the wrong, I obviously should have done that no matter how horrible the job/boss was)

I have learnt from these experiences and obviously regret them, I am sure many people have posted similar posts and so on just like mine. I really do want to serve the community, this is genuine, I volunteer for the ambulance service as well as work for mountain rescue, I work full time and I am desperate to join the police to improve my working life.

Obviously I will declare the caution and everything about it. The dismissal occured in 2005, the police want to know about my employee record for the last 5 years, the company would not be listed in this, however the question is asked 'have you ever been dismissed from employment?', of course I have to declare that I have been, I am absolutely terrified if I explain I have then the application will be binned. I know the company was in the right, but I really want to get into the emergency services but these events will hinder me, I know I will only ever know if I appy, can anyone offer any thoughts on this, as some people on the forum seem quite clued up about the process.

I guess I need to know, I cant be fixated on one job role only for it to be doomed for any success simply due to the afore, at least this way I can focus my efforts on other careers.

Kindest Regards

#2 fruitandveg

fruitandveg

Resident Greengrocer

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

Well, lying on the form is a one way trip to the shredder, telling the truth MIGHT just cut some ice, especially given that the caution wasn't for crime of the century, it was all a fair while ago now and you're involved in some good activities there to consider being in the police.

Do your best on the application, put the time, effort and truth in and see how you get on! :)

#3 Scot

Scot

Forum Legend

• Power Users
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:12 PM

Paper sift is out of your hands, however, the interview will be your greatest chance to prove yourself. Expect to be grilled if you reach that stage, don't make excuses, just admit and show that you've moved on/grown up. Preparation for that is key. By what you've said, you look like you've got a lot of things to hopefully,fully cover the competencies. Goodluck!

#4 David

David

Ninja Pussycat :)

• Moderators
  • 31,223 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

If your the issues you discussed occurred within any time frame they ask for, then they must be declared.

If the question specified a time-frame (ie, Have you ever been dismissed from your place of work within the past five years) then provided the event(s) happened previous to that then it/they wouldn't need to be declared.

The query you have relates to your dismissal. Your question seems to ask 'have you ever been dismissed' (not giving a time-frame) which suggests to me you will need to declare it. Is there a space for reasons why? Either way, it's in the lap of the Gods really, but it needs declaring. Checks will be made.

#5 Prae

Prae

Forum Fixture

• Power Users
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

Paper sift is out of your hands, however, the interview will be your greatest chance to prove yourself. Expect to be grilled if you reach that stage, don't make excuses, just admit and show that you've moved on/grown up. Preparation for that is key. By what you've said, you look like you've got a lot of things to hopefully,fully cover the competencies. Goodluck!

Depending on which force the OP is applying to that is not strictly true, a good number of forces now run the NPIA assessment centre specifically for Specials and he won't get a grilling or chance to explain his issues during it.

You need to FULLY declare all of these things on your initial application form, putting in a separate continuation sheet explaining your issues if necessary. If your application is good enough and HR are satisfied with the things you've declared on your application you'll be invited for some kind of assessment or interview after passing that you may be sent some vetting forms where again you'll need to FULLY declare everything and hope you get security clearance.

Alternatively, they may just send you a letter saying they don't think you're suitable for appointment as a Special Constable, each force is different and the only way to find out if you'll get in is to apply.

#6 MrDSP

MrDSP

Settling In

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

Forces that run the NPIA assessment centre will get in contact with you to clear these kind of things up should you pass the initial paper shift.

I should hope you'll get an oppertunity to put your case forward should your application form be up to scratch.

#7 captain mannering

captain mannering

I'm new!

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

The form specifically asks for my employment period within the last 5 years, of which I have declared, the job which I was dismissed from was in 2005 so about 7 years ago, the question posed is “Have you ever been dismissed from previous employment as a result of your conduct or capability?If so please give details…” So as the question is open ended, then the right and honest thing to do is to declare it, as if I don’t there is a potential of the application certainly being binned assuming they find out about it (which I am sure they will) and I run the risk of not being allowed to apply for the police ever again, due to honesty and integrity issues and so on.. That risk for me is too big to take and of course I am sure the police do make these enquiries, perhaps it looks better if I do tell the truth. I basically had a bit of ‘hissy fit’ with my boss and I am worried the police will view me as unsuitable because of this?Due to character etc… I guess the only way to find out is to apply, I just hope the community work I do and the answers I provide on the application form, as well as interview, If I get one, will show I have the potential to serve as a Special and I have improved my skills since the last time I applied.

Does anyone know by being sacked if this is an automatic bar for applying? But as i understand letting takes place after paper side...

Look thanks for all your thoughts so far. Maybe Im worrying too much i dont know.. But i guess no one can reassure me here or give m e slid answers...

Again thanks all..

#8 BigCopSmallTown

BigCopSmallTown

Forum Legend

• Power Users
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

If in doubt declare it but explain yourself fully in a continuation sheet if necessary - show that you have overcome the problems and work it into your competencies if possible.

#9 Giraffe

Giraffe

PoliceSpecials.com Staff

• Moderators
  • 16,532 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

As others have said, declare it. Make it clear that you were being bullied and that there were other issues surrounding your dismissal.

Should your application / vetting not be successful then don't beat yourself up too much about it - it sounds like you've got a lot of positive things going on in your life which will stand you in very good stead for a variety of different careers in any case. :aok: Good luck with your application.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users