• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow16

Shadow16

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:31 PM

Special Constables assist BTP in providing an increased uniform presence for the rail network. They are expected to serve on a regular basis and serve for at least sixteen hours per month, usually broken into eight hour shifts.

Although Specials aren’t paid, they are bestowed with the same powers as regular Police Constables and carry out a varied role which could include foot and vehicle patrols, assisting at incidents, helping passengers, policing events or simply acting as a reassurance to the travelling public.

At first, Special Constables will be asked to spend some time training at weekends and sometimes during the week. They must be thoroughly grounded in the basic aspects of police work before they can begin to carry out any police duties, so they are trained in police service, self defence, powers of arrest, common crimes, and preparing evidence for court.

Once Special Constables have completed their training, they have the same powers as regular Officers and wear the same uniform.

Special Constables come from all walks of life and give up as much time as they can spare, knowing they are making a difference to the safety of people on the railways. They soon discover that working within a fast paced and ever changing environment can be a rewarding experience. Many talk about intangible benefits that being a volunteer gives them, such as assertiveness and confidence which are transferable to their ‘day’ jobs, and of course it can also be added to your CV.

Please see the Special Constables section of the website for information on eligibility and details of the recruitment process. In addition to the outlined process, applicants who are successfully short-listed will be required to complete an Assessment Day.

Training will commence on Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd September 2012 and will run for 10 alternate weekends. You will be required to attend each of these weekends.

If you are not contacted within 21 days of the closing date for applications please assume that your application has been unsuccessful.

We are currently recruiting for Special Constables for various locations in the Scotland Area.
Please indicate on your application form the location to which you would prefer to be posted to should you be successful throughout all stages of the recruitment process.

Please see the role profile for further information.

We want our organisation to be as diverse as that community it serves. We welcome applicants from all sections of the community.

CLOSING DATE: 1ST JUNE 2012
FULL DETAILS: Clicky

Good luck if you apply, I know I will be :)

Edited by Shadow16, 16 May 2012 - 08:17 PM.

#2 Dizzydee

Dizzydee

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

Good luck to you.

#3 Shadow16

Shadow16

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:56 PM

Good luck to you.

Application has been sent. So now just a waiting game really. Hopefully I will be invited to the assessment centre again.

Is anyone else applied or thinking of applying ? Would be great to know.

#4 AyrshireKieran

AyrshireKieran

I'm new!

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

Im trying to apply just cant get logged in this website is always the same for me !

#5 Milankovitch

Milankovitch

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

Do BTP Specials in Scotland get the option to sign up for the Recognition Award Scheme?

#6 Shadow16

Shadow16

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

Im trying to apply just cant get logged in this website is always the same for me !

Which browser you using ? I had issues uploading my application and that was using Firefox.

I checked on IE and had no problems at all uploading the application.

Do BTP Specials in Scotland get the option to sign up for the Recognition Award Scheme?

I believe they don't get that option. Not 100% sure, but think its just for the Scottish home office forces.

#7 kev1508

kev1508

I'm new!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

Hi Guys,
I applied for this role but havnt heard anything yet? just a quick one to see if anyone else had or if they knew how you would? if lucky of course :)

Cheers

#8 Giraffe

Giraffe

PoliceSpecials.com Staff

• Moderators
  • 16,532 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:54 AM

I believe they don't get that option. Not 100% sure, but think its just for the Scottish home office forces.

That must make it quite difficult for BTP in Scotland to recruit then? Although that said if they did pay it then the E&W BTP SCs would probably start complaining.

Good luck to all those applying!

#9 Shadow16

Shadow16

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:46 PM

That must make it quite difficult for BTP in Scotland to recruit then? Although that said if they did pay it then the E&W BTP SCs would probably start complaining.

Good luck to all those applying!

That's true, however when I applied last year, over 90 people applied and only 12 got to the assessment centre stage so they do get a bit of interest in Scotland.

Hi Guys,
I applied for this role but havnt heard anything yet? just a quick one to see if anyone else had or if they knew how you would? if lucky of course :)

Cheers

I've not heard anything either, as I say no news is good news !

Good luck with your application :)

#10 kev1508

kev1508

I'm new!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:40 PM

Yea thats true, only 1 week left, hopefully there waiting till the last push :-) thanks for getting back all the best with your application too mate

#11 Romeooo

Romeooo

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:39 PM

Hey guys,

if you need any help preparing for your assessment day or any specific questions that you need answered, specifically about BTP Scotland area then send me a message.

I am a Special Constable based in Scotland with a few years service.

Goodluck to you all who applied & goodluck if youve passed the first stage and invited to the assessment centre.

:)

#12 Shadow16

Shadow16

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

Hey all

Has anyone who's applied heard anything from recruitment yet ?

This Friday will mark 21 days and they stated when applying, if you've not heard anything by then, we can only presume we've been unsuccessful.

EDIT

Just looked at the recruitment site and it appears they've opened the recruitment window again with a closing date for 16th July :/

Edited by Shadow16, 20 June 2012 - 12:57 PM.

#13 Romeooo

Romeooo

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

Guys, have a little patience as there is a set process that has to be followed prior to the assessment day. They will inform you either way.

any other questions etc then send me a message and i will try to help.

#14 Shadow16

Shadow16

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

Guys, have a little patience as there is a set process that has to be followed prior to the assessment day. They will inform you either way.

any other questions etc then send me a message and i will try to help.

I got an email on Friday explaining they've increased the opening window and we should hear from them around 20th July about how our application went.

They also said they hope to have assessments mid/late August so in a way gives me more time to practice really.

#15 kev1508

kev1508

I'm new!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

Hey guys,

Apologies for repeating this has anyone had any word? Am I still right in thinking if you don't hear back by the 20th you can assume your application has been unsuccessful.

Cheers

Kev

#16 Romeooo

Romeooo

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

Hi all,

this event would be good for you to attend if your applying for the Scotland 2012 intake. We will have lots of info on the days...

http://www.policespe...22nd-july-2012/

#17 Shadow16

Shadow16

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

Hey

I've not heard anything back either. I suspect with the recruitment window being extended that it'll be a while before we hear back about our application :).

#18 Shadow16

Shadow16

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

Sorry to double post...

Just got an email saying I've been successful and been invited to the assessment centre in August 25th.

To those who've applied and been invited good luck and see you there :).

Edited by Shadow16, 23 July 2012 - 05:19 PM.

#19 Romeooo

Romeooo

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

Congrats, and fingers crossed for you :)

#20 bunnylover

bunnylover

I'm new!

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

I also got an email yesterday saying I was successful! :new_clap:

August 25th here we come! :)

#21 Police Constable 1

Police Constable 1

Forum Confused!

• Power Users (FREE Trial)
  • 10,800 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:47 PM

Good luck with the assessment centre

Edited by Police Constable 1, 24 July 2012 - 07:50 PM.

#22 jkirkw94

jkirkw94

I'm new!

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:45 PM

Invited to assessment centre on the 25th! What should I expect to happen on the day?

#23 Dizzydee

Dizzydee

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:02 AM

Hope your assessment centre goes well guys!

#24 chris360

chris360

L Plates

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:22 PM

Didn't see this thread so made my own :(. Got an invite to the assessment day also. Good luck

#25 Shadow16

Shadow16

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

Invited to assessment centre on the 25th! What should I expect to happen on the day?

Hi

On the day you will undergo 3 assessments and a Panel Interview.

The assessments you do are;

1) Written Exercise (lasts 20 mins)
2) Numerical Reasoning (lasts 12 mins)
3) Verbal Logical Reasoning (lasts 25 mins)

Those are the test you sit and how long they last for. 

Good luck once again to those who've been successful and attending the assessment centre.

Look forward to seeing you all there :)

Edited by Shadow16, 10 August 2012 - 10:40 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users