• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 9,898 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

I've just moved house and cancelled some of my subscriptions such as Sky, broadband etc from my old home.

I was owed a refund from Sky of £16.64. Instead of refunding it to my bank account or send me a cheque like everyone else did, they have just sent a usual bill with a bank giro credit slip except it is in a negative amount.

I've never seen one of these before, but something tells me I can't just walk into a bank or post office with it and they will then cough up the money over the counter? :new_no:

Any ideas?

PS - this is the final straw with them, they were absolute rubbish whilst I was with them and they even manage to annoy me when they are trying to give me money!

#2 Merlin820

Merlin820

PS.com All Woman

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

I was under the impression providers / suppliers are supposed to refund money in the same manner as it has been received, ie. if you pay by dd or BACS it should be refunded directly to the bank?

I'd write back, record the letter and ask them to refund the money to your account?

#3 E29NP

E29NP

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

I've just moved house and cancelled some of my subscriptions such as Sky, broadband etc from my old home.

I was owed a refund from Sky of £16.64. Instead of refunding it to my bank account or send me a cheque like everyone else did, they have just sent a usual bill with a bank giro credit slip except it is in a negative amount.

I've never seen one of these before, but something tells me I can't just walk into a bank or post office with it and they will then cough up the money over the counter? :new_hmmm:

Any ideas?

PS - this is the final straw with them, they were absolute rubbish whilst I was with them and they even manage to annoy me when they are trying to give me money!

I'm glad that I am not the only victim of Sky's incompetent admin department. I took action against them for unauthorised payments from my account. Happy to say I was refunded every penny after I got my bank's fraud people involved.

#4 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 9,898 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

I was under the impression providers / suppliers are supposed to refund money in the same manner as it has been received, ie. if you pay by dd or BACS it should be refunded directly to the bank?

I'd write back, record the letter and ask them to refund the money to your account?

That's interesting, since I have the giro in my hand it would be easier and quicker if I could get the money with it but if I can't that sounds like what I might have to do.

I'm glad that I am not the only victim of Sky's incompetent admin department. I took action against them for unauthorised payments from my account. Happy to say I was refunded every penny after I got my bank's fraud people involved.

When I cancelled the subscription online (giving a month's written notice as specified in the contract) this is what happened to me:
  • They sent me an email telling me that I can't cancel it without speaking to me on the phone to verify my identity (this was despite me doing so from within my own secure online account, so it was stalling BS)
  • Gave me several call slots where they said they'd call but never did
  • I sent them an email after a week or so saying that I had been expecting calls, and that I had cancelled the direct debit now
  • They replied telling me that I still owed them a month's money!
  • I replied telling them that I always paid a month in advance and that they better sort it out
That's when the stupid giro thing landed on my doormat (addressed to my old house I must add, despite me telling them I'd already moved out due to all of their timewasting and messing about. Luckily I had a mail redirection set up).

They are a complete cowboy outfit and I can't recommend them to anyone.

Edited by adslegend, 19 March 2012 - 10:30 AM.

#5 SBG

SBG

PoliceSpecials.com Staff

• Moderators
  • 16,390 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

They are rubbish - I binned them for very simular reasons!

Could you take the giro to a bank and see if they will pay cash to you?

#6 stevo1001

stevo1001

L Plates

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

No, its a bank giro credit slip not a debit slip, so in essence just proof they owe you money until the cheque/ bacs/ chaps/ fps comes though the door or into your account :w00t:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users