Photo
- - - - -

Motorcycles filtering

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 BigGSheffield

BigGSheffield

Learning the Ropes

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

Can someone explain the rules and practicalities around motorcycles filtering?

#2 Damsel

Damsel

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 6,708 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

There's not really a specific law as far as I'm aware. It's touched on though in Rule 88 of the highway code, which basically says "do it carefully" Posted Image

#3 callsign-kid

callsign-kid

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 4,354 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

As far as rules go it is allowed. However the rider may not over take the lead vehicle on zig zag lines, may not go right of a keep left, must obey traffic law as a car would (other than the overtaking thing). Practicalities, look out for junctions on the right in case someone side swipes you (turning with no mirror check), keeping the speed reasonable, be ready to react, anticipate what is happening, good mirror checks, don't pass if unsafe to do so, for example between two long vehicles, lifesavers if needed.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=VF6P7K3FQwg

Edited by callsign-kid, 06 March 2012 - 06:24 PM.

#4 Rocket

Rocket

PoliceSpecials.COM Staff

• Moderators
  • 12,237 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

The European Directive that is coming in soon will ban motorcycle filtering in France.

Linky

#5 gordon

gordon

Supreme Poster

• Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

Take whatever is written in MCN with a very large pinch of salt (it's like the motorcycle Daily Mail). It looks like that report is a mix'n'match of the proposed EU regs and the new laws coming in for bikes in France.

On filtering, it can actually make your ride safer (suprisingly) than traveling in the line of traffic because as you are always overtaking people seem to notice you more and you have much less chance of being hit from behind. I've been riding bikes for over 20 years and never been told off for it by police, but have seen someone stopped for passing a keep left on the right.

Just be aware that the car you are passing may suddenly pull out of the line of traffic and don't do anything stupid.

#6 Mr Benn

Mr Benn

Learning the Ropes

• Power Users
  • 198 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

Some of the practicalities of filtering are covered in the Motorcycle Roadcraft Book and the whole book is well worth a read.

As the others have posted you are allowed to filter.

You can use your manoeuvrability and limited space requirements to make progress.
I haven't got the book to hand but from memory.

Take extreme care, keep your speed slow so that you can stop if things change, Always have a space identified that you can rejoin the traffic flow before you move out, use dipped headlights , don't get into conflict with other road users,
There is one more that I can't remember ( can someone help out)

Watch out for pedestrians crossing between vehicles, vehicles doing u-turns, doors opening, debris on the centre of the road, raised reflective studs, vehicles at junctions and other bikes filtering.

If you are a motorcyclist I would recommend a Bike Safe Course and if you are a member of the wider police family these courses I think are free or discounted.

#7 Jeebs

Jeebs

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

Friend of mine who is an avid biker proudly states that the UK is the only place filtering is legal, apparently it's illegal in the rest of Europe, but as most things motoring on the continent it gets ignored when people do it!

Edited by Jeebs, 06 March 2012 - 10:46 PM.

#8 callsign-kid

callsign-kid

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 4,354 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:36 PM

Friend of mine who is an avid biker proudly states that the UK is the only place filtering is legal, apparently it's illegal in the rest of Europe, but as most things motoring on the continent it get ignored when people do it!

Its illegal in most parts of the US (California is a notable exception). As far as I know it is legal on most of the continent.

#9 Jeebs

Jeebs

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

From what I can dig out on the net (nothing concrete mind) is that it's illegal to filter in France, Germany and Switzerland. However, in places like Italy and Spain its legal.

I think my friends assumption is based on experience rather than knowledge, he's only ridden abroad in France and Switzerland, where as I said its illegal.

#10 Straightjacket

Straightjacket

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

[quote name='Jeebs' timestamp='1331074518' post='2213339']
From what I can dig out on the net (nothing concrete mind) is that it's illegal to filter in France, Germany and Switzerland. However, in places like Italy and Spain its legal.

Do you think that given the m/c chaos in these countries a ban would have any bearing?

So what about quad bikes? Not much wider than a BMW with panniers. have seen them filtering carefully without raising too many issues.

#11 supermancss

supermancss

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

I'm a motorbike rider, and france is trying to push forward their traffic rules.. Which I think are rediculous.

They require everyone to carry a breath testing machine, single use is approx £5 but once they use one, they have 0 left..if pulled over will be fined £20 so you need 2 with your car at all times!?

motorbikers need to wear hi vis vests ALL the time regardless of conditions.

All car drivers need a first aid kid, warning triangle, etc

___
onto filtering.

There are no laws specific to it, but do it at your own risk. You can undertake vehicles provided the outside lane is moving slower than the inside lane. Although I dont really filter through unless both lanes are v slow or stopped.

make as much noise as possible as most people don't ever look in mirrors and in slow traffic are on mobile phones, eating, fiddling with bits in the car and can drift over in your path. Max of 10-15mph faster than other traffic I recommend

#12 richr

richr

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:19 AM

If you are a motorcyclist I would recommend a Bike Safe Course and if you are a member of the wider police family these courses I think are free or discounted.

They are very good! The met ones are free for met police staff/officers, but you need to book over the phone to get the discount.

#13 rosco

rosco

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

I'm a motorbike rider, and france is trying to push forward their traffic rules.. Which I think are rediculous.

They require everyone to carry a breath testing machine, single use is approx £5 but once they use one, they have 0 left..if pulled over will be fined £20 so you need 2 with your car at all times!?

___

Not convinced about the point of breath-testing requirement but all the others seem quite sensible actually.

Friend of mine who is an avid biker proudly states that the UK is the only place filtering is legal, apparently it's illegal in the rest of Europe, but as most things motoring on the continent it gets ignored when people do it!

That was not the case in Portugal, where I was told that filtering was legal. Moreover, it was common practice, when traffic was stopped on a motorway, for motorbikes to make progress via the hard shoulder. Apart from the risk of debris on a non-running lane, it was actually far safer than filtering, as long as not abused (i.e. by blasting a full speed on hard shoulder when rest of traffic is stopped). (All this from practical experience as a biker over there.)

#14 Damsel

Damsel

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 6,708 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

Not convinced about the point of breath-testing requirement but all the others seem quite sensible actually.

Not to take this off track, but I agree with Rosco. The requirement for breath test kits is a bit daft, but the requirement for first aid kits, warning triangles and I believe a hi-viz in the boots of vehicles is a good idea which I'd also support the introduction of in the UK.

I don't even go to France, and all that (bar the breath kit) is in my car anyway.

Oh, and the fine for not having a breath kit in France (from November I believe) will be 11€, which at todays exchange rate would be £9.18 not £20. And if you go to France a lot, it might be worth the investment in an electronic breath test machine. They can be bought for less than £20 and I'd say would be just as accurate as the old crystals in a tube method. And you'd only have to carry 1 Posted Image

#15 brand b

brand b

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

Filtering is fine until it goes wrong and then difficult to justify that the m/c was not at least a contributor to the accident. Apart from that, filtering to the outside of traffic is surely the whole point of an m/c when there is a build up of slow traffic.

#16 richr

richr

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

Filtering is fine until it goes wrong and then difficult to justify that the m/c was not at least a contributor to the accident.

Only if they actually contributed to the accident - filtering past junctions, at excessive speeds or in a position where they've obscured themselves from view (approaching junctions alongside a high-sided vehicle, for example).

For the typical 'turn in front of, or into the side of' type accidents where the m/c is adopting a sensible speed, the motorist is at fault. Indeed, rule 211 of the Highway Code cautions the driver to be careful of filtering motorcycles when performing manouvers. In this instance, the only contributing factor is the fact that they were there to be hit!

Note that our two wheeled colleagues are quite content to filter on duty, and I suspect they may get the hump if you turn into the side of them and accuse them of being a contributor to the accident :D

#17 Shogy1

Shogy1

Supreme Poster

• Members
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:27 PM

The key to filtering is you should always be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear.

Don't filter unless traffic is at a crawl

#18 PW90

PW90

Bubba's Friend

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

For the typical 'turn in front of, or into the side of' type accidents where the m/c is adopting a sensible speed, the motorist is at fault. Indeed, rule 211 of the Highway Code cautions the driver to be careful of filtering motorcycles when performing manouvers. In this instance, the only contributing factor is the fact that they were there to be hit!

This irks me somewhat. If I am waiting in the road to turn right with my right indicator on, a motorcycle should not be filtering past me on the right. Even if the traffic is moving and I am approaching a turn - the motorcyclist should see my indicator and not filter past / overtake. I don't feel comfortable knowing that if I hit the motorcyclist who is overtaking me while I am making a right turn that I am the one at fault.

#19 gordon

gordon

Supreme Poster

• Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

This irks me somewhat. If I am waiting in the road to turn right with my right indicator on, a motorcycle should not be filtering past me on the right. Even if the traffic is moving and I am approaching a turn - the motorcyclist should see my indicator and not filter past / overtake. I don't feel comfortable knowing that if I hit the motorcyclist who is overtaking me while I am making a right turn that I am the one at fault.

In a case such as this it would be the motorcyclists fault for being bloody stupid and putting themselves in a dangerous position.

However if they were passing you before the junction and you decide to pull out of the line of traffic with a plan to filter past the line of traffic yourself on the wrong side of the road in your car it would be your fault.

#20 Shogy1

Shogy1

Supreme Poster

• Members
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

In a case such as this it would be the motorcyclists fault for being bloody stupid and putting themselves in a dangerous position.

It wouldn't just be the motorcyclists fault in that scenario it would be the car driver's fault as well for not paying attention. It could well be that both could be stuck on for driving without due care.

Edited by Shogy1, 07 March 2012 - 06:15 PM.

#21 SoapyW

SoapyW

Experienced

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

I did a bikesafe course (very good, recommend them) and we were encouraged to filter safely on those. Rules - its allowed. Practicality - do it carefully. I do hope this thread doesn't descend into a motorist v biker argument (I cant filter so why should they!).

#22 IndiaTango

IndiaTango

Experienced

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

I did a bikesafe course (very good, recommend them) and we were encouraged to filter safely on those. Rules - its allowed. Practicality - do it carefully. I do hope this thread doesn't descend into a motorist v biker argument (I cant filter so why should they!).

Aye, but not only that there's plenty of space on the roads for a motorcycle to filter anyway.

#23 richr

richr

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

What's the issue? Surely you will look before you make the turn? Remember, your indicator is only signaling your intent - you still have an obligation to ensure that your intended route is clear, and in your scenario that includes a mirror and shoulder check to ensure that there are no motorcyclists approaching.

#24 rosco

rosco

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:34 PM

What's the issue? Surely you will look before you make the turn? Remember, your indicator is only signaling your intent - you still have an obligation to ensure that your intended route is clear, and in your scenario that includes a mirror and shoulder check to ensure that there are no motorcyclists approaching.

Frankly you're a lot of an idiot if you over-take a vehicle that is signalling right, as you're bound to disappear in their blind spot: whenever I see that happening, I either wait or pass them on the inside.

As a car-driver, I've hit a motorcycle that decided it would be a good idea to undertake me as I was signalling - I did look and saw him behind me, but thought that he would be sensible and go around me the other side.

#25 IndiaTango

IndiaTango

Experienced

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:01 AM

Frankly you're a lot of an idiot if you over-take a vehicle that is signalling right, as you're bound to disappear in their blind spot: whenever I see that happening, I either wait or pass them on the inside.

As a car-driver, I've hit a motorcycle that decided it would be a good idea to undertake me as I was signalling - I did look and saw him behind me, but thought that he would be sensible and go around me the other side.

Undertaking is a little different though. I would never undertake. I'm assuming we're on a single carriage way?

It's bad on his part, however you should never assume that other road users will be "sensible". If motorcyclists did, we'd probably have a lot more accidents. As a motorcyclist you have to assume that everyone is out to get you.