• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 -AJ

-AJ

Supreme Poster

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

Here, below are some images to show the insignia and give the names to the different grades we have within the Special Constabulary in Staffordshire. This should be particularly useful to new members who are joining. I will also put what we can call them next to each grade too - just to help you along. Anybody who notices I've made any mistakes here, please let me know so I can change them :new_doh2:

(In creating the images we have tried to make them look as true-to-life as possible regarding sizing etc)

Special Constable: (Variation - Some have 4 digit collar numbers beginning with certain numbers - these are longer serving specials on the old system still)
Posted Image

Special Sergeant: (Call them: Sergeant, Sarge or by name if requested - Always best to use the formal title if you don't know them!)
Posted Image

Special Inspector: (Call them: Inspector, or Sir / Ma'am, if you know them well possibly 'Boss' or 'Guv' or by name if requested - Always best to use the formal title if you don't know them!)
Posted Image

Special Chief Inspector: (Call them: Sir / Ma'am, or by name if requested - Always best to use the formal title if you don't know them!)
Posted Image

Deputy Chief Officer: (Call Him: Sir, or by name if requested - Always best to use the formal title if you don't know someone!)
Posted Image

Chief Officer: (Call Him: Sir or by name if requested - Always best to use the formal title if you don't know someone!)

Posted Image

*edit* Corrected mistakes made with images after consulting with Divisional Officer - thank you DO
(images courtesy of MikeBrum - All rights reserved to him - Created for -AJ for use under exclusive licence)

Edited by -AJ, 12 February 2012 - 06:59 PM.
Additional Information

#2 Shikari

Shikari

Forum Legend

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

<snip>

Cheers for this, really useful (and well designed by MB too)

#3 11rich11

11rich11

Settling In

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

Thats really cool, last time I called someone sarge, things didn't go as planned, he turned round to me and said there are only two sarges i know, " massage" and " sausage" he actually said massarge and sausarge and when you massarge the sausarge your calling me a W***er, are you calling me a W***er?? I was abit lost for words.
So always call them by there title, unless you know them :)
Rich

#4 -AJ

-AJ

Supreme Poster

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

Made a few modifications to this post to reflect mistakes and to remove officers names - if you need to know who people are you can PM me.

#5 Kilo Sierra

Kilo Sierra

Trooper

• Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:00 PM

Hmmm, indeed http://www.policespe...tyle_emoticons/default/dry.gif Be respectful.

Our new Inspector echos the recent comment that some FOOLISH SCs have been disrespectful to the local regular and special supervision, which has started a crack down on rank 'respect'.

I find the entire thing distasteful to be honest, having always been respectful to the rank/grade i am speaking to, now I am getting some snotty enforcement rules to abide by because some people have clearly not been as diligent.

That been said, given the surge in new SCs (which to be honest i suppose i am one as well to a degree) and all the new Sgt's made up etc that some of the problem might be a bit of tin god complex, as well as lots of new SC unused to working in a disciplined service.

I think respect does not come from the title, but what you're saying around it to be honest.

Good work however AJ/MB

J

Edited by Kilo Sierra, 13 February 2012 - 11:16 PM.

#6 -AJ

-AJ

Supreme Poster

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:49 PM

Hmmm, indeed http://www.policespe...tyle_emoticons/default/dry.gif Be respectful.

Our new Inspector echos the recent comment that some FOOLISH SCs have been disrespectful to the local regular and special supervision, which has started a crack down on rank 'respect'.

I find the entire thing distasteful to be honest, having always been respectful to the rank/grade i am speaking to, now I am getting some snotty enforcement rules to abide by because some people have clearly not been as diligent.

That been said, given the surge in new SCs (which to be honest i suppose i am one as well to a degree) and all the new Sgt's made up etc that some of the problem might be a bit of tin god complex, as well as lots of new SC unused to working in a disciplined service.

I think respect does not come from the title, but what you're saying around it to be honest.

Good work however AJ/MB

J

Where are you based at? We don't seem to have had anything like that as far as I've noticed - Although there have been a few suggestions about using the titles for our specials supervisors though. However most at our nick, specials wise,if you call them sarge, or sir will tell you not to call them that. lol

#7 MindTheGap

MindTheGap

GLEE Rocks

• Power Users
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

Where are you based at? We don't seem to have had anything like that as far as I've noticed - Although there have been a few suggestions about using the titles for our specials supervisors though. However most at our nick, specials wise,if you call them sarge, or sir will tell you not to call them that. lol

Think he's based at Longton from memory...

#8 andrew1979

andrew1979

Settling In

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:58 PM

It's all about mutual respect really. I'm a Special Sergeant. When I first meet another officer (special or regular) I will always use their rank (or an abbreviated version such as "Serge" or "Boss"), until they've told me its ok to call them by their first name, and I would expect that of any other SC. It's a disciplined organisation and it's a basic manners thing. I've always said to SCs who've called me Serge to call me by my first name after I've met them Posted Image

#9 MindTheGap

MindTheGap

GLEE Rocks

• Power Users
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

It's all about mutual respect really. I'm a Special Sergeant. When I first meet another officer (special or regular) I will always use their rank (or an abbreviated version such as "Serge" or "Boss"), until they've told me its ok to call them by their first name, and I would expect that of any other SC. It's a disciplined organisation and it's a basic manners thing. I've always said to SCs who've called me Serge to call me by my first name after I've met them Posted Image

So calling you butters wouldn't be a wise move? (after bar of butter, butter bars...) *Gets coat*

#10 -AJ

-AJ

Supreme Poster

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

So calling you butters wouldn't be a wise move? (after bar of butter, butter bars...) *Gets coat*

So tempted to -1 you..

#11 Kilo Sierra

Kilo Sierra

Trooper

• Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

Think he's based at Longton from memory...

And proud

#12 Bear

Bear

L Plates

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

Awesome guide for new officers :p Really good pictures and concise descriptions. :aok:

As for the whole issue of rank, name calling and policies. Going to make me sound very old but things were so much less political when we had Section and Divisional officers. Too many special supervision expecting the same respect and privileges by default as our regular colleagues. Respect for rank in a disciplined organisation is an important thing (ex-RAF so I know :D ) . But in the same vain we need to remember the vast gulf in experience and difficulty to achieve between a special rank and the regular equivalent. Involving exams, interview boards and periods of assessment in an acting capacity.

So just like we (I'm proud of this fact) have 'special' not 'police' in front of constable we shouldn't forget that the ranks proper form of address include such, i,e Special Sergeant, not just 'Sergeant' as this can be construed as insulting to the regular Sergeants who had to put in a great deal more time and effort to achieve the rank and responsibility , the same goes for each level up the chain. We are valued and important members of the police family but we shouldn't lose sight of our position in relation to our regular colleagues.

Edited by Bear, 06 March 2012 - 01:03 PM.

#13 monster munch

monster munch

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

In Devon and Cornwall there is no use of 'titles' in the Special Constabulary at all. This goes all the way up to our chief officer who on our first induction weekend at HQ told us that we would call him by first name.
I constantly correct all new specials who start calling me Sarge, that its first name for the SC. However I would never dream of calling a regular sgt by their first name and all regular rank is referred to by that rank.

#14 mrmotivator

mrmotivator

Starting Out

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

I'm a Special Sergeant and the first thing I told my guys was to call me by my first name.

Edited by mrmotivator, 10 October 2012 - 09:33 PM.

#15 Richhamdo

Richhamdo

Forum Fixture

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

Bear, I agree with every word you have said regarding the bar v sgt stripes etc, as I may have mentioned previously elsewhere on the same subject, we lost the Sgts stripes in NYP in about eighty/eighty one , I just forget, because it was causing animosity and confusion, I was promoted to so because our sgt left because he didn't want to lose his stripes and was adamant he would not wear one bar,did my best to stop him but with no gain, he was a really good man and a big loss, been in a long time now started when Lovell had a problem so have had plenty of time to consider if it was a good move , I personally think it was, kind regards, Rich.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users