8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   inspector

inspector

Regular User

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:13 AM

Click here for the full article in the Liverpool Daily Post

NEW blood could be brought into Merseyside Police to give ill officers the chance to retire.

Up to 40 new policemen could be out on local streets by the end of the year after Merseyside Police Authority, responsible for the force’s finances, discussed a slackening of the current recruitment freeze.

In a recent interview with the Liverpool Post (read here), Chief Constable Jon Murphy spoke of his frustrations at not being able to recruit a single new bobby for the last two years because of Government budget cuts.

But at a meeting of the MPA finance committee yesterday, a proposal to lift the existing recruitment freeze to allow for 40 new constables was discussed.

Any new bobbies will come from the pool of applicants who have already passed the recruitment process.

Read More http://www.liverpool.../#ixzz1lgZmgjaO

#2 OFFLINE   L-M.A.B_90

L-M.A.B_90

On My Way

• Members
  • 352 posts
Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:16 AM

Click here for the full article in the Liverpool Daily Post

NEW blood could be brought into Merseyside Police to give ill officers the chance to retire.

Up to 40 new policemen could be out on local streets by the end of the year after Merseyside Police Authority, responsible for the force's finances, discussed a slackening of the current recruitment freeze.

In a recent interview with the Liverpool Post (read here), Chief Constable Jon Murphy spoke of his frustrations at not being able to recruit a single new bobby for the last two years because of Government budget cuts.

But at a meeting of the MPA finance committee yesterday, a proposal to lift the existing recruitment freeze to allow for 40 new constables was discussed.

Any new bobbies will come from the pool of applicants who have already passed the recruitment process.

Read More http://www.liverpool.../#ixzz1lgZmgjaO

Correct me if I'm wrong; but doesn't it appear that quite a few HO forces are now opening the doors to the recruitment of regulars?
I've read somewhere on here TVP are considering it, now Merseyside and according to their website Northants in the near future (possibly as well)?

Could the squeeze be loosening? Or has the government just realised the police need more man-power?
Will MOPs be eligible to apply?
Or will applicants be sourced from PCSO's/SCs only?

(Does anyone have an opinion? :oops:)

#3 OFFLINE   Juliet Sierra

Juliet Sierra

Experienced

• Members
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong; but doesn't it appear that quite a few HO forces are now opening the doors to the recruitment of regulars?
I've read somewhere on here TVP are considering it, now Merseyside and according to their website Northants in the near future (possibly as well)?

Could the squeeze be loosening? Or has the government just realised the police need more man-power?

(Does anyone have an opinion? :unsure:)

the met just took 1000

#4 OFFLINE   PCSD

PCSD

Regular User

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

Several forces are, but in limited numbers, it will be years before we see the scale of the recruitment hat occurred over the last 10 years!!

Forces are finding small mounts of money to replace officers lost through natural wastage. As for this intake on MerPol as the article says, it will only be for those who have already passed all of the recruitment stages.

#5 OFFLINE   callsign-kid

callsign-kid

Old Timer

• Members
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

The thing is that any way you cut it policing is done by people. Therefore you need people to do the job. However much the Government cut policing by sooner or later you need to recruit people to do the job.

#6 OFFLINE   inspector

inspector

Regular User

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:37 PM

maybe all those uniformed officers who sit behind desks should be re-assigned to frontline HVP! that should solve the 'less bobbies on the beat' cries....

#7 OFFLINE   SZ1

SZ1

Always Here

• Members
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

One of the issues I see with this is that if they are only taking on people who have already passed the A/C, they are going to have to up-hold very old A/C passed.

MerPol hasn't done a recruitment cycle for over 2 years, anybody who got though all the stages of the last cycle (but wasn't offered a job before the cuts) will have passed their A/C over 2 years ago. This is far more than they should be vaild for (12 month valid period), but that said, due to budget cuts Forces do seem to be pushing this limit a little - CNC for example are accepting people with passed from the last 18 months.

Regardless, I think I would rather see a fresh batch of officers from serving SC and PCSO, not only will this cut down in training/induction and show some worth for all the commitment they have put in to the Force, but it also doesn't give members of the public who showed some interest or passed stages over 2 years ago priority.

Edited by Scuffer, 07 February 2012 - 10:09 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   L-M.A.B_90

L-M.A.B_90

On My Way

• Members
  • 352 posts
Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

The thing is that any way you cut it policing is done by people. Therefore you need people to do the job. However much the Government cut policing by sooner or later you need to recruit people to do the job.

That's a fresh and logical take on things... :unsure:

#9 OFFLINE   ksks

ksks

Training

• Banned
  • 222 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

The intakes will be from current merpol specials and pcso's who have passed all stages of recruitment are just awaiting a start date.

External recruitment wont be for years to come yet.

If i were you i would think about another force.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users