• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#51 Jamie1412

Jamie1412

Starting Out

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:39 AM

Take a notepad and pen, that's all you need. You do get issued a small writing book but it will soon fill up. As the course goes on you get more and more handouts to bring home and digest so you may need a folder of some description.

If you haven't already I would learn the caution and phonetic alphabet, you will use both a lot so you may as well start now.

Hi prae,

I am already familiar with the phonetic alphabet so that's a good start, and by the caution are you referring to 'right to remain silent/ when questioned caution' ?

Cheers,

Jamie

Edited by Jamie1412, 13 February 2012 - 01:45 AM.

#52 Kewstu

Kewstu

Settling In

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:59 AM

Hi prae,

I am already familiar with the phonetic alphabet so that's a good start, and by the caution are you referring to 'right to remain silent/ when questioned caution' ?

Cheers,

Jamie

Yup you need to learn the caution because you do not have the right to remain silent !!

Get your head around the caution so you can get your head around the Caution +1, Caution +2 etc ..

"You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something you later rely on it court, anything you do say may be used in evidence"

My girlfriend bought me the Blackstone's Police Operational Handbook today, I thought it would definitely help with the law lessions!

There is a Blackstone's Specials Handbook which is written for the Special and misses out a lot of the stuff you won't be dealing with in it, it is a good read.

If you get PS as your main tutor (you might do but he is retiring this year) then he will send you the NPIA in depth course material for each week to your police email, these are PDF's and some are over 100 pages, but are a really good resource.

#53 Prae

Prae

Forum Fixture

• Power Users
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

Hi prae,

Cheers,

Jamie

As Kewstu says you do need to be familiar with the caution but at the stage you're at just look at memorising the following:-

"You do not have to say anything but it may harm your defence, if you do not mention, when questioned, something that you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence"

You will learn about the other cautions during your training and they all contain either most of the above or another few bits added, so it's a great starting point. :new_no:

#54 Dean Horton

Dean Horton

Settling In

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

Hi everyone,

Finally got my letter today, I officially start on Saturday!
I'm really excited!

Have you got yours yet Jamie?

Cheers!

#55 Camshaft

Camshaft

I'm new!

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

Received mine this morning also Posted Image see you all on Saturday. Posted Image

#56 Jamie1412

Jamie1412

Starting Out

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm really excited!

Cheers!

Hi dean,

I am at work at the minute so hopefully when I'm home there will be a letter, you arranged your uniform fitting yet pal ?

Jamie

#57 Jamie1412

Jamie1412

Starting Out

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm really excited!

Cheers!

Hi dean,

I am at work at the minute so hopefully when I'm home there will be a letter, you arranged your uniform fitting yet pal ?

Jamie

Hi everyone,

I'm really excited!

Cheers!

Hi dean,

Jamie

#58 Dean Horton

Dean Horton

Settling In

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

Hi Jamie,

Be prepared, there's lots to read!
There isn't a scheduled timetable for our training though?

It says report to Courtland road on Saturday at 09:30 and Sunday at 09:30.

There's a few bits and pieces to sign.

I booked my uniform fitting for Friday at 08:30, you will have your collar number in your pack so they'll ask for it when you call them. (Stores that is.)

Cheers bud.

#59 Jamie1412

Jamie1412

Starting Out

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

Hi Dean,

Okay rather worried that I haven't had anything in the post ? Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow and I have the day off to read it all and arrange a fitting :whistle: will keep you posted bud

Jamie

#60 Dean Horton

Dean Horton

Settling In

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

Hi Jamie,

Thats surprising that you haven't got it?

I'm going to read it again, theres lots to read! I don't understand why I don't have a timetable in the pack, with the dates of when we're going to be there??

Cheers.

#61 Kewstu

Kewstu

Settling In

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:27 AM

Hi Jamie,

Be prepared, there's lots to read!
There isn't a scheduled timetable for our training though?

It says report to Courtland road on Saturday at 09:30 and Sunday at 09:30.

There's a few bits and pieces to sign.

I booked my uniform fitting for Friday at 08:30, you will have your collar number in your pack so they'll ask for it when you call them. (Stores that is.)

Cheers bud.

Be wary of the schedule, check what it says for OST1 - on ours it said Courtland Road but it was changed at the VERY last minute during our Airwaves assessment, one person turned up at Courtland Road and was 15 mins late at Warners and he was dressed down for the first 2 hours.

OST 1 is fun and I wonder how many will want to walk out in the first hour or so - you will see!

Oh and be aware if it says 9:30 am start or 6:00pm start do not show up on the dot, be at least 20 minutes early, you wouldn't show up for a shift which starts at 7pm at 7pm !!

Edited by Kewstu, 15 February 2012 - 09:29 AM.

#62 Jamie1412

Jamie1412

Starting Out

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

I've already done some OST with Humberside police at my college a couple of years ago and it was great... I did get sprayed in the face with water which was out of a training CS canister, the look of shock on my friends faces was hilarious !

Hopefully my letter will be with me today!

Jamie

#63 Dean Horton

Dean Horton

Settling In

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

Let me know how you get on Jamie!

In looking forward to the OST, I've completed RAF regiment gunner training so I l can't see it being a huge problem for me if it is!

Two days mate!

Edited by Dean Horton, 15 February 2012 - 11:55 AM.

#64 Jamie1412

Jamie1412

Starting Out

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

My letter has arrived pal :( massive relief !

Yeah it's really good, what I did anyway and I can't see it being any different as it was run by the OST trainer at the time who then became my college tutor for a year
Jamie

#65 Kewstu

Kewstu

Settling In

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

it isn't the OST 1 which is the problem, it is the first few hours - you will see, advice don't be late and don't be clever :( (Prae will know what I am alluding to !)

You get CS sprayed on OST 2 (and it isn't water they spray at you!), in the afternoon you get to practice with water based PAVA containers which is good fun, but the particles of CS go back into your eyes!

On the first weekend, Day 1 (saturday) is unbelievably boring you will need the coffee breaks lol, and on Sunday you will have fingerprints, dna swab taken and whilst your all been processed you will be doing some kinda team building excercise which you would think, "are we at College or are we at Police Training."

You may meet your Divisional Inspectors on Day Two but only C Div turned up to ours. You will also be given your door entry fob which is programmed for Courtland Road and the Station your going to be based at. You will have a lot of things to sign the most important one is your security clearance, you will also get some useful little booklets which you can keep in your ONB holder when you get it.

The trainers will explain on Day 1 that this is not for everyone and you may leave at anytime for any reason. If you start to get doubts TALK ABOUT THEM to the trainers.

The dress code is smart casual, a few went in suits on ours for day 1 but went down to smart jeans and shirt on Day 2.

Lastly - well done for getting this far now enjoy the next 10 weeks.

#66 Jamie1412

Jamie1412

Starting Out

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for the advice kewstu, I'm sure it will be very helpful :p

Dean, I also haven't recieved a training schedule... Maybe we will be issued this on Saturday ? Also I don't have my uniform fitting until Monday next week so I will be going in jeans and t shirt I think, would any of you that have done the first weekend advise taking other clothes or is it not worth it ?

Jamie

#67 Dean Horton

Dean Horton

Settling In

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

Hi stu,

What do you mean the first hour or so of OST 1? Do the trainers just give you a good thrashing, so you're physically drained?

Oh and what's the security clearance, is that something we get on our induction weekend off the training staff?

I've not got a timetable yet either, I'm hoping we get one during the induction, I'll be able to let work know what days I will need swapping.

Oh and I'm wearing smart trousers and shirt for the Saturday at least, first impressions go far!

Cheers.

Edited by Dean Horton, 15 February 2012 - 04:15 PM.

#68 Kewstu

Kewstu

Settling In

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

Hi stu,

What do you mean the first hour or so of OST 1? Do the trainers just give you a good thrashing, so you're physically drained?

Oh and what's the security clearance, is that something we get on our induction weekend off the training staff?

I've not got a timetable yet either, I'm hoping we get one during the induction, I'll be able to let work know what days I will need swapping.

Oh and I'm wearing smart trousers and shirt for the Saturday at least, first impressions go far!

Cheers.

The first morning of OST is classroom based not physical at all, just make sure you go to the correct venue! You will find out more in good time.

The security clearance is your vetting form which is signed off by you and your trainer.

And another thing I remember, it gets VERY warm in the classroom so if you can sit with your back to the windows.

Other things you may need to know but are not told - the canteen is closed but you can use the vending machines, the tea/coffee machine was 45p which is reasonable and there is a confectionary vending machine which again is reasonable in price but not well equipped at weekends. Be careful driving down Courtland Road as the road is a disgrace seems like it is on some kind of fault line, AutoGlass must have a field day down there.

#69 Prae

Prae

Forum Fixture

• Power Users
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

The reason you lads haven't received a timetable is probably because the ones issued prior to training are normally wrong.

I got my welcome pack about a month before I started and booked off all the weekends I needed for training only to turn up at Courtland Road on the first day and get issued the proper timetable which was quite a bit different.

You'll also want to take lots of 20p's for the coffee machine and a packed lunch.

#70 Dean Horton

Dean Horton

Settling In

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:46 PM

Are there places to leave your bags if you haven't got a car? I'm not driving at the minute, so I won't be taking a car.

I'm going for my uniform fitting at 08:30am tomorrow, it's getting close now!

#71 Kewstu

Kewstu

Settling In

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:36 AM

Are there places to leave your bags if you haven't got a car? I'm not driving at the minute, so I won't be taking a car.

I'm going for my uniform fitting at 08:30am tomorrow, it's getting close now!

When you say bags - how big are these bags?

You could leave them in upstairs toilets on the floor your training on, or if the bags are not huge they can probably go in the classroom under your chair.

Oh and the classrooms are equipped with very small desks attached to the chairs, and they are very squeaky and the chairs themselves are very uncomfy!

#72 Dean Horton

Dean Horton

Settling In

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:57 AM

I'll be taking a rucksack of some sort with folder and most of all pack up!

I've been to stores today, got the uniform, I got the shirts with Himberside Police on them, they're a great fit, all the uniform is!

When you wear the uniform do you have to tuck the shirts in the trousers with the belt on or can you wear it loose?

Cheers.

#73 Kewstu

Kewstu

Settling In

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

I'll be taking a rucksack of some sort with folder and most of all pack up!

I've been to stores today, got the uniform, I got the shirts with Himberside Police on them, they're a great fit, all the uniform is!

When you wear the uniform do you have to tuck the shirts in the trousers with the belt on or can you wear it loose?

Cheers.

You tuck it in, be scruffy otherwise, and don't tuck the trousers into the boots as this looks stupid.

Your have the old style shirts then, new style are not marked with anything, you will find the rest of your group will not be exact "uniform!" Has your trousers got zips and pockets or just pockets? Old style have zip pockets and pockets and the new style just have normal pockets with no zips.

Try it on at home but do not wear it other then training.

#74 Dean Horton

Dean Horton

Settling In

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

Yeah I've got the old style tops with logo on chest and arm, the new style trousers with just the pockets, the new jacket with Velcro badges on. When I was trying all the other kit I'm sure I tried on a stab vest with the Humberside Police badges on. The lady on stores said she's ordering me the plates to put on because she doesn't have the right size ATM.

Also I tried on the custodian and I'm having the old style one as there are te new style ones out with a different badge on the front.

Other than that I'll have to wait until week 10 to get the rest.

With regards to travelling to and from training can you not wear the uniform as long as you have a civilian jacket over the top, so basically all that's showing is the trousers and boots, or is this a definite no?

I'm really looking forward to starting now though I must admit!

Cheers buddy.

Edited by Dean Horton, 17 February 2012 - 11:41 AM.

#75 Kewstu

Kewstu

Settling In

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

Yeah I've got the old style tops with logo on chest and arm, the new style trousers with just the pockets, the new jacket with Velcro badges on. When I was trying all the other kit I'm sure I tried on a stab vest with the Humberside Police badges on. The lady on stores said she's ordering me the plates to put on because she doesn't have the right size ATM.

Also I tried on the custodian and I'm having the old style one as there are te new style ones out with a different badge on the front.

Other than that I'll have to wait until week 10 to get the rest.

With regards to travelling to and from training can you not wear the uniform as long as you have a civilian jacket over the top, so basically all that's showing is the trousers and boots, or is this a definite no?

I'm really looking forward to starting now though I must admit!

Cheers buddy.

You can have no Humberside Police markings showing, the trousers are marked on the back so if you jacket covers that up your okay (and zip your jacket up too lol many make that mistake!), the boots are yours until Humberside Police pay for them so don't worry about that.

I wouldn't go in uniform on Saturday though you may find you will be the black sheep, just go in smart casual until training starts proper next Tuesday (hint do some background reading on the Theft Act !)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users