• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 HKF

HKF

Student

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:18 PM

I know I'm probably being very naive but I've just been told that PSD in our force (and elsewhere) regularly check people's social network pages such as Facebook and Twitter.

I thought they may check things if there was a problem but I didn't think they would be interested enough to be spot checking these? I can sort of see why, but on the other hand why would you be checking up unless there was a problem. ... Unless I've just got the wrong end of the proverbial..

#2 hathaway

hathaway

Training

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:32 PM

A friend of mine started as a special in Kent and transferred up to Norfolk to follow his education. He doesn't have facebook and told me he wasn't allowed it because he was in the police.

Personally, my privacy settings are such that you can't find me in a facebook search unless you're friends with one of my friends, and even then all you can see if we aren't friends is my profile picture and my networks. When I finish training I'll probably delete my twitter as I barely use it.

If you really want to go SUPER private, use an alternative to your name, like celebrities and pseudo-celebrities do. For example, due to my music and musical contacts, I'm friends with Ed Sheeran, Rick Astley's daughter (my lord she's gorgeous), and a couple more... but you'd never find them searching their names Posted Image

#3 djmh

djmh

Training

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:15 PM

A friend of mine started as a special in Kent and transferred up to Norfolk to follow his education. He doesn't have facebook and told me he wasn't allowed it because he was in the police.

Personally, my privacy settings are such that you can't find me in a facebook search unless you're friends with one of my friends, and even then all you can see if we aren't friends is my profile picture and my networks. When I finish training I'll probably delete my twitter as I barely use it.

If you really want to go SUPER private, use an alternative to your name, like celebrities and pseudo-celebrities do. For example, due to my music and musical contacts, I'm friends with Ed Sheeran, Rick Astley's daughter (my lord she's gorgeous), and a couple more... but you'd never find them searching their names Posted Image

Does Ed Sheeran have two accounts then? As he has an open profile if you search his name.

#4 Wyvern43

Wyvern43

Learning Curve

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:16 PM

Well as PSD said to us the other day the golden rule is; would you be happy for your mum or the chief constable to see what you've put on fb/myspace/twitter etc?

Just be sensible, don't put anything stupid on it and don't forget your tinfoil hat! Posted Image

#5 hathaway

hathaway

Training

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:03 PM

Does Ed Sheeran have two accounts then? As he has an open profile if you search his name.

Yep, I think most famous people have "profiles" or "pages" or whatever for publicity, but he's got one under a totally different name for his private life

#6 Maverick.

Maverick.

My Life

• Members
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:08 PM

DPS have told us that regardless of your settings they can view your page (uber tinfoil hat required me thinks!)

#7 Burnsy2023

Burnsy2023

I Need A Life !!!

• Members
  • 5,996 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:21 PM

DPS have told us that regardless of your settings they can view your page (uber tinfoil hat required me thinks!)

I doubt that.

#8 Burnie

Burnie

I Need A Life !!!

• Members
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:50 PM

I doubt that.

For the investigation of offences police forces have access to what is called a "Wraith" account

This means that the police 'investigation logon' can see everything of everyones pages whether private or not.

#9 Burnsy2023

Burnsy2023

I Need A Life !!!

• Members
  • 5,996 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

For the investigation of offences police forces have access to what is called a "Wraith" account

This means that the police 'investigation logon' can see everything of everyones pages whether private or not.

Surely that requires RIPA authorisation though?

#10 WareItsAt

WareItsAt

Getting There

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:15 PM

surely this just comes down to common sense....?

Make sure your profiles are locked down to all those who are not your friends.

and at the end of the day don't post anything that can get you in to trouble or be misconstrued to something its not!

Posted Image

#11 BenFF

BenFF

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:11 PM

What are Force policies of uniform appearing in display photos? Inc on duty.

Scenario- two specials are out on patrol, having a break and takes a snap of the officer, uploads it and tags the other person.

Is this against policy?

#12 Kellym82

Kellym82

My Life

• Members
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

Yep, I think most famous people have "profiles" or "pages" or whatever for publicity, but he's got one under a totally different name for his private life

Yep - I have Princess Eugenie on mine but you wouldn't know it was her profile unless you knew her :(

I'm still upset about my lack of invite to the Royal Wedding!

What are Force policies of uniform appearing in display photos? Inc on duty.

Scenario- two specials are out on patrol, having a break and takes a snap of the officer, uploads it and tags the other person.

Is this against policy?

Pretty simply - don't do it! You shouldn't have any pictures of you in uniform on social networks. To be honest, I don't see why anyone would want them up there.

#13 BenFF

BenFF

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:29 PM

Pretty simply - don't do it! You shouldn't have any pictures of you in uniform on social networks. To be honest, I don't see why anyone would want them up there.

I agree, just wondered what people have been told officially. I work for the fire service and we have been officialy told NOT to post pictures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users