18 replies to this topic

#1 Spuffington

Spuffington

L Plates

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:24 PM

Hi all!

Been lurking here for some time but thought I would drop a line on here to record my progress through the Specials application process.

I attended the Friday Open Evening in August in order to collect my application form. Unfortunately, my first effort at the paper-sift was sent back requesting another go at the Diversity question, which I did and was called for Interview & Assessment on Saturday just gone.

Although nerve-wracking, it was also very enjoyable. I'm pretty sure I was the oldest there, but I think in some ways, that probably counted in my favour in terms of the life experience I can bring.

I sat my PIRT first, which I have to say, I found quite easy. I completed all the tests with time to spare, aside from the "spot the difference", where I had to leave a few questions. The practice test made me realise I was being a bit to blasé about it, so paid way too much attention and ran out of time. The main test I was worried about was Maths, but feel pretty confident about the results on that.

As I was the last one to be called for interview, I spent most of the day chatting to the Special Sergeant and Special Constable who were looking after us. It was great to get first-hand experience from people who were doing it. Unfortunately, at our intial open day there were no Special Constables there to chat with, so this was a great opportunity.

Interview went well, I think. Unfortunately got a bit unstuck on the basis that the questions asked were phrased slightly differently to how I'd prepared, so there was a fair amount of thinking on my feet in order to answer them exactly as was posed. But hopefully all went well.

So - two weeks to go, until I find out whether I'm through or not! :aok:

#2 wannabspecial

wannabspecial

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:31 PM

Hi Spuffington,

The next two weeks are going to seem like ages, i was on the phone to my Mrs every morning asking if a letter had arrived for me, hopefully you will have nothing to worry about.

I was the oldest in my intake so do not let that put you off, as you have mentioned with age come experience.

Keep us updated on your progress

#3 spidey

spidey

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:04 PM

Hi Spuffington

Good to hear you're well into the process. I passed the assessment centre in october and have since had my medical and fitness tests, so I am in the intake before you.

Regarding your assessment, I was worried about my age as well... but being too young. I got asked if I had enough life experience, and I backed up my response pretty well, hence got through no problems. Age really shouldn't worry you when it comes to the specials recruitment process, or the work specials undertake. If you can pass the fitness test, assessment centre and medical then you're on your way to becoming a police officer.

Also you won't be waiting for weeks regarding your assessment, check your post in the next few days. Recruitment get back quite quickly!

All the best
Spidey

#4 Luke_336

Luke_336

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

hi,

im sure youll be fine and good luck.

still waiting on my reply from the papersift. i went to the opening evening in aug too.

4 months this month since i posted it. i cant wait to hear back now. people who i know who have applied have heard back but i havent. i called up and the said they have my app and will be in ontact in due corse.

hopefully ill hear back soon. im only 18 so i hope my age dont jepardise my chances. aslong as im confident im sure be ok.

let us know how you get on. how did you find the test. pretty easy or were the challenging?

luke

#5 SPECIAL AGENT

SPECIAL AGENT

Settling In

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:14 PM

In my opinion the Special Constabulary needs a mix of everything including age.

We have the young'uns for running and the older ones for cunning. Simples!

Hope the application goes well. Where are you hoping to be based?

#6 Spuffington

Spuffington

L Plates

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I think you're right - everyone brings something to the party. I was talking to the Specials during the day and I mentioned that when I was a bit younger I was very assertive, but perhaps too much so. I worked in a pub at University and would be the first to deal with trouble-makers. As I've got older, I've appreciated that you mellow and find it easier to deal with things with words rather than just physical reactions. I think it's made me a better person, but I'm aware the assertive edge has dulled a little too. I guess one of the things I'm hoping to do with the Specials is to reawaken this, but with the benefit of the cunning, and ability to use and choose my words to diffuse and work a situation too.

I've been really impatient about responses too, but keep going. I'm sure you'll come right in the end, Luke. :evil:

Currently working on my fitness since I'm carrying a kilo or so more than I should be, but I'm cycling in to work and back (50mile return journey) twice a week and planning on taking up running again in the next few weeks once I've shifted a cold I've picked up. Hopefully should get me in a better position to ace the fitness test - think I should be ok at the moment, but want to do it justice! :D

All very exciting process and looking forward to the next steps!

Good luck to all too!

#7 Spuffington

Spuffington

L Plates

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:50 PM

Quick update - received my letter confirming PIRT and Interview pass last Thursday. Have been lying low since then (literally) having been struck down with some kind of winter virus - on the mend now, but have my Fitness Test on Saturday (17th) which I'm everso slightly concerned about given I've still got the remnants of the bug and still quite run down.

From what I understand, it's not massively difficult, so should be able to complete it ok, even if I am still a bit off colour.

Fingers crossed - I guess then it's just a case of waiting for references, which will take as long as it takes, I guess...?

#8 spidey

spidey

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:33 PM

Quick update - received my letter confirming PIRT and Interview pass last Thursday. Have been lying low since then (literally) having been struck down with some kind of winter virus - on the mend now, but have my Fitness Test on Saturday (17th) which I'm everso slightly concerned about given I've still got the remnants of the bug and still quite run down.

From what I understand, it's not massively difficult, so should be able to complete it ok, even if I am still a bit off colour.

Fingers crossed - I guess then it's just a case of waiting for references, which will take as long as it takes, I guess...?

Well done! Don't worry about the fitness test, worst case - you fail - you can redo it, it's not an issue. You start off with a warmup (level 3 beep test) and then progress onto the proper test (level 5.4 beep test) which is about 1km at 11km/h. Not too bad. Then you have a push pull test on a machine called a dyno. Take a look at this youtube vid for a good explaination...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CSOGeEqT7c

That is the exact format as the essex fitness test, even the same dyno! The dyno is an odd machine but I achieved well above the required push/pull and I'm not particularly strong. Shouldn't be a big problem.

Regarding references, they can take a very...very...very long time. But still, providing you've got no history with the police it should be fine. And if you have, each case is looked at on an individual basis.

Good luck!
Spidey

#9 wannabspecial

wannabspecial

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:57 PM

Spuffington,

Unless you are seriously unfit then you have nothing to fear, my advice would be to start running nothing to serious just round the block and gradually work your way up, as Spidey has said you do a warm up to level 3 then you start again at the beginning and work your way up to the required level.

Dyno machine you have nothing to worry about it is quiet an easy machine.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Regards
Steve

#10 Spuffington

Spuffington

L Plates

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:15 PM

Although I've chatted to Steve offline on this, just in an effort to keep this thread going, I passed my Physical Assessment on Saturday 17th December, together with 4 others who I first met on the PIRT day two weeks ago. Unfortunately one young lady didn't make the bleep test - felt very sorry for her, but I'm sure a bit more practice and she'll be just fine.

Bleep was fine - just a bit out of breath, so need to work on fitness in the New Year. But managed to pull & push an average of c. 70kgs for the strength tests, which was nice to know, even without training.

So - Medical Questionnaire with HR now, guess it's just a case of waiting for the Medical Assessment & Security Checks to be done now.

At least the last few steps have progressed quite quickly, compared to the wait through papersift. Problem now is that the quicker things move, the quicker I want them to move!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Spuffington, 21 December 2011 - 01:16 PM.

#11 Spuffington

Spuffington

L Plates

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

Everything's slowed dramatically....
Got a letter on Saturday which I thought I'd be chuffed with; hoped it would be invitation to Medical. Instead, it's a letter requesting a further report from my GP - they're worried about previous episodes of slipped discs and an episode of Stres a few years ago.
Hope this doesn't spell the end to my Specials career before I've even started? :p

#12 PW90

PW90

Bubba's Friend

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:11 AM

Everything's slowed dramatically....
Got a letter on Saturday which I thought I'd be chuffed with; hoped it would be invitation to Medical. Instead, it's a letter requesting a further report from my GP - they're worried about previous episodes of slipped discs and an episode of Stres a few years ago.
Hope this doesn't spell the end to my Specials career before I've even started? :whistle:

Occupational Health are great on this sort of thing - they just want to check you are okay.

They aren't in the business of finding a way of keeping you out - they'd rather support you and issue you with a harness instead of a duty belt if it would help prevent the slipped discs, and ensure that you are properly supported to prevent any relapse of stress.

Medical checks are all about making sure you are fit and well, and if not, getting you fit and well. I was put on medical hold for 6 months while I lost a lot of weight - the Occ Health team supported me through this and at no point was I ever in danger of being "thrown out" - they wanted to help, not hinder.

#13 Spuffington

Spuffington

L Plates

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:03 PM

Paul,

Thanks so much for posting your reply; it's gone a good way to cheering me up since I was really worried that it might be as far a I get through the process. Especially galling having got this far.

However, it is pleasing to learn that there is that support there and there are mechanisms for assisting people in their jobs. The idea of the harness (presume like a Tac vest?) sound like a much more sensible idea than having all the weight around the lower back. Certainly for me, anyway.

I am far better prepared to deal with stress now, since I've put an awful lot of work in (as much as I have with core stability & strength) into understanding myself, the human condition and methods of coping with stress (meditation, communication, exercise, food etc), but I'd be lying if I wasn't concerned that it was going to be picked up in the Medical Questionnaire.

Glad to hear Occupational Health is a Facilitator rather than a Preventor!

Once thing I am learning through this process is patience! :lol:

Thanks again.

Duncan

Edited by Spuffington, 11 January 2012 - 02:04 PM.

#14 wannabspecial

wannabspecial

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:43 PM

I can totally back up what Paul has said, a guy on my intake was over on the BMI and Occupational Health helped him lose weight, remember Essex police are not going to go through all the expense of getting you to the last hurdle and failing you as it would of cost them money.

As you have stated yourself you can now handle your Stress better, and with a Tac Vest there will not be as much weight on the lower part of your back.

Keep us Informed Please

Regards
Steve

#15 Spuffington

Spuffington

L Plates

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:47 PM

Hi all,

Long time no speak.....

Finally got a call from HR about a fortnight ago now, apologising for the delay in getting back to me and asking me if I'm still up for joining the Specials - to which, I obviously answered "yes"! :)

Received my Vetting from about a day or so later, so that's now in the system and I'm just awaiting being called for Health Screen.

Only potential fly in the ointment of all of this is that I'm currently interviewing for a new day job, which could end up taking me away from home for a fortnight a month, which will completely wreck any goodwill I have with Mrs Spuff for 'Hobby Bobbying' at the weekends or the evenings I do have spare. I'm very much hoping I can get the training underway and done so that even if I have to 'freeze' things for a while, at least I'll have done the foundation training and just do refreshers later on......? Or do I have that completely backside about face?

Hope you're all well, anyway and those of you who are now attested are enjoying the job and keeping safe at the same time?

Cheers,

Duncan

#16 wannabspecial

wannabspecial

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

Good to hear from you again Duncan.

My current understanding since reform is that you have to complete 16hours per month and you can choose your hours which suit you.

You are the second person i have heard of that has been contacted regarding if they are still interested in becoming a special.

Can you believe im nearly 6 months into the job already and loving it, the best thing i ever did.

Will pm you

Keep us updated

#17 Spuffington

Spuffington

L Plates

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:56 PM

Hi Steve,

Really good to hear you're enjoying it - do let me know what you've been up to (as much as you can, obviously).

So - another update this morning. Heard from a lady at Essex again - she's given me 6th June for my Health Screen and a provisional training start date of 30th June for alternate weekends. I've also asked just to be noted against the Intensive (2 week on, 1 week off, 2 week on) course, since if I end up leaving the current job I will be in for 3 months Garden Leave to cover my notice period. Would be good to get it all out of the way in a concentrated fashion.

My missus is being really supportive and despite the fact I'm getting nervous about it all being 'a fair bit real' now - she thinks it'll be the making of me. It's lovely to have that support and confidence in me. Also really good to hear that you feel it's similarly rewarding, Steve.

Anyone be able to tell me what to expect for the Health Screen? Is it a full medical or just a pee in a jar type thing?

Cheers,

Dunk

#18 spidey

spidey

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

Hi Duncan

Well I'm on the intensive starting July 2nd! Had my health screen and everything else in December so I'll let you know what it's like...basically I had a hearing test, eye test, urine sample for drug analysis, then a basic healthcheck with the doc. Then questions about my work, whether I use protective hearing equipment etc, whether ive had any injuries, rashes, knocks or bumps. Nothing too invasive!

Pm if you want more info mate.

#19 wannabspecial

wannabspecial

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

Hi Duncan,

Cant really say to much but its all been fun and every shift im learning.

Keep us updated

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users