• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#51 mdon

mdon

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:04 AM

In some forces it is looking like you may need a Foundation Degree in Policing in order to have the best chance of being allowed to apply....the bottom line is that graduates from this course have already paid for a good proportion of their training, so the force doesn't have to.

Yeah Cumbria do this now where the students pay £7k! And voulenteer as a special for two years then if they get in they don't have to do basic training (well only about 3 weeks of it)

Only thing is, for the last 3 years it's been run, no one has got a job out of it and have all been told they can stay on as specials. You still have to do the same application progress of the papersift and assessment centre and don't think you can just keep applying if you don't pass the first time, I know one person who was given two goes and has now been told they have to apply like anyone else and will have to undergo basic training.

Seems like a no starter to me! Why waste thousands of pounds and a couple of years of your life when you could be out there earning a wage until they open recruitment.

#52 Will89

Will89

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:10 PM

So I have heard/seen that Derbyshire will be anouncing their next recruitment in Feb 2012. Any news on any other forces that are currently/will soon be recruiting for new PC's?

Will

#53 -AJ

-AJ

Supreme Poster

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:08 PM

So I have heard/seen that Derbyshire will be anouncing their next recruitment in Feb 2012. Any news on any other forces that are currently/will soon be recruiting for new PC's?

Will

I've heard Staffs possibly in April..but, I'm not sure how true that is or where the info has come from ;)

#54 Nim

Nim

Bagpuss fan

• Members
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

But is this open recruitment to all or an unfreezing of all their people on hold??

#55 UK_Bod

UK_Bod

Settling In

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:29 AM

But is this open recruitment to all or an unfreezing of all their people on hold??

Derbyshire aren't saying yet, not until Feb. They may have canned everyone on hold like Notts did and starting a fresh. But they may be only recruiting specials and staff, all guesswork at the moment though.

#56 Hopefulguy

Hopefulguy

Starting Out

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:18 PM

Derbyshire aren't saying yet, not until Feb. They may have canned everyone on hold like Notts did and starting a fresh. But they may be only recruiting specials and staff, all guesswork at the moment though.

I phoned the other day just out of interest really. According to HR shared services Derbyshire do have people waiting in the system. They are unsure as to how many people they will be looking for, whether these people will come from Specials or come from an existing pool. I would advise that the chances of getting in as an external are going to be extremely low but let's see.

#57 ksks

ksks

Settling In

• Excluded
  • 222 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hi

Anyone know any force who will take a papersift pass or who is recruiting. Passed the papersift with nwp but because i do not speak fluent welsh i am on hold as they are only progressing level 3 speakers. Doubt i will get a assessment centre though.

Cheers

#58 Millhouse

Millhouse

Experienced

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

Hi

Anyone know any force who will take a papersift pass or who is recruiting. Passed the papersift with nwp but because i do not speak fluent welsh i am on hold as they are only progressing level 3 speakers. Doubt i will get a assessment centre though.

Cheers

I doubt any will - as far as I know only AC passes above a certain % are accepted.

#59 Hopefulguy

Hopefulguy

Starting Out

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

As I suspected....

North Wales Police was always a funny one really. I did see it but considered Policing may prove very difficult not speaking Welsh. TBH I would consider pulling out of the process to leave you free to join other forces as a Special or Reg in future.

#60 Dizzydee

Dizzydee

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:39 PM

I see CNC are recruiting for several bases now.

Strathclyde Police may open up recruitment again soon too.

#61 Hopefulguy

Hopefulguy

Starting Out

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:46 PM

After posting on Monday I today found out that I have passed the initial sift for Specials..yay!

#62 DerbyshireLaLaLa

DerbyshireLaLaLa

Starting Out

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:43 AM

I phoned the other day just out of interest really. According to HR shared services Derbyshire do have people waiting in the system. They are unsure as to how many people they will be looking for, whether these people will come from Specials or come from an existing pool. I would advise that the chances of getting in as an external are going to be extremely low but let's see.

50 according to the Derbyshire Evening Telegraph, although they need to meet to decide what the recruitment process will be. Hopefully it'll be internal Posted Image

#63 MRF@1972

MRF@1972

Settling In

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

According to Lothian and Borders website they will open recruitment on the 1st Feb.

#64 Jeebs

Jeebs

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

According to Lothian and Borders website they will open recruitment on the 1st Feb.

They ran a campaign in late December, because I was going to apply! So they must really want PCs if they are running another.

Grampian Police are currently accepting applications.

#65 MRF@1972

MRF@1972

Settling In

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:45 AM

My friend applied for Lothian and Borders but failed his vetting, I think he told me it was because he didn't list a previous offence.

#66 Logitec2k4

Logitec2k4

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:26 AM

They ran a campaign in late December, because I was going to apply! So they must really want PCs if they are running another.

I believe the majority of Scotland Forces will be recruiting at some point, they are all losing officers from retirements and they must keep current levels so they are having to recruit!

#67 ksks

ksks

Settling In

• Excluded
  • 222 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:03 PM

I am also interested in how derbyshire will recruit. I have also heard they have people in the process from last time although i was originally told they were all binned.

I dont think recruitment will be from specials/pcso's but from the applicants they already have.

Anyone heard anything?

I am also interested in any other forces due to open up - lancashire maybe this year?

#68 DerbyshireLaLaLa

DerbyshireLaLaLa

Starting Out

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:28 PM

Im positive that they didnt recruit in December

#69 Nelson

Nelson

Vice Admiral of the White

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

Lothian and Borders recruitment opens up again on 1st February.

#70 DerbyshireLaLaLa

DerbyshireLaLaLa

Starting Out

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:59 PM

Im positive that they didnt recruit in December

Apologies. I thought you meant Derbyshire not Lothian and Borders.

#71 dw39

dw39

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

Lothian and Borders recruitment opens up again on 1st February.

Strongly thinking about applying too.

It would mean a lot of changes though.

#72 Munch

Munch

I'm new!

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

Does anyone know if the Met are recruiting some time soon? I was wondering if they would open up recruitment before the olympics or possible leave it till after now?

#73 CalvinK

CalvinK

L Plates

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:25 AM

I am also interested in how derbyshire will recruit. I have also heard they have people in the process from last time although i was originally told they were all binned.

I dont think recruitment will be from specials/pcso's but from the applicants they already have.

Anyone heard anything?

I am also interested in any other forces due to open up - lancashire maybe this year?

I can confirm that Derbyshire did not bin everyone from the last recruitment process. I should know as I am one of those who have been contacted as to whether I am still interested, and I applied in 2008! I just want to know when the intake will likely be as I've been told all sorts of dates ranging from as early as April to being told nothing until September (mainly due to the Olympics).

Does anyone know if the Met are recruiting some time soon? I was wondering if they would open up recruitment before the olympics or possible leave it till after now?

The chances of any intake training taking place during the Olympics are very, very slim. Especially for the Met.

#74 sparkydale

sparkydale

Forum Fixture

• Power Users
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:39 PM

In the online chat with our CC and ACC here: http://www.policespe...-veale-2312012/
the question was asked about regulars recruitment with the answer being:
About 60 regulars recruited a year and an ideal total officers number of 1068

A bit of 'back of the fag packet' calculations says that Wiltshire will be looking to recruit approx 5% of it's force strength every year. This would seem to be reasonable and I would imagine many other forces will do similar numbers - the only caveat being how soon they actually start putting recruits through or if they start with smaller intakes to allow some to come through.

Again, that same fag packet says Merpol will recruit 200 regulars; WMP will recruit 400 and the Met 1500!
If this follows, then regardless of what is happening, there will have to be recruits in training at all times.

#75 Rob_SRi

Rob_SRi

I'm new!

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:16 AM

im not sure about wmp.. but i have heard they are not looking to recruit for a while.. i rang and spoke to someone in recruitment office who said they had spoken with the cheif last week who had said that they were still in the freeze although it was 'subject to change'

a very political answer which means very little i know...

but there seems to be a few members of staff from L&D that have been axed recently... doesn't bode well for an imminent training point of view! either

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users