• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#26 Donks37

Donks37

I'm new!

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:52 AM

persecuting someone for a bulb failure is not really my style... if you start dishing out tickets like they're going out of fashion you're probably going to run out of friendly faces quite quickly unless they majorly fail the attitude test with you from the start.. just a little advice is usually enough for most!

anyway back on topic!

after speaking to a member of HR at West Midlands Police they tell me that they had a meeting the other week and recruitment wont be likely to reopen till 2014 according to the cheif! obviously like everything this is subject to change but their are still applicants in the system who have completed test centre etc for when recruitment opens.. :( bad news for me!!

wish i hadn't asked now!!

hopefully neighbouring forces will be sooner... or somewhere a tad closer to home than scotland!! might wang an email off to durham and see how they stand with applicants at the moment.. im getting to the point where il move anywhere just to get a foot in the door! its frustrating and easy to get disheartened with everything as it is like banging your head against a brick wall!

like always.. ANY information or advice would be greatly appreciated... answers on the back of a postcard..

Thanks

Rob

Rob

If you are truly committed you could complete the PLC course and then apply to Surrey, who are still presently recruiting!

Not an easy way but it could be an option?

D

#27 MRF@1972

MRF@1972

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:43 PM

Who is recruiting now ??

#28 Nim

Nim

Bagpuss fan

• Members
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:03 PM

Who is recruiting now ??

North Wales are, but you have to pass a welsh speaking exam...

#29 MC1

MC1

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:12 PM

Whether I become a Special or not, when Avon & Somerset begin recruiting Regulars I am most definitely going to apply. They have had recruitment closed for ages.

I am currently doing a BSc (Hons) with the Open University over the next three/four years and I have no problems fitting my studies around a full time Regulars job and it will give me very valuable life experience.

I thoroughly look forward to this, I have already narrowed down what I'd like to go into after my two years probation! :whistle:! I'd like to go into either Traffic or Firearms, with my SC/FAC I have a lot of experience and I get a very nice feeling from pulling a driver over with a broken light/no licence etc and knowing that by catching them in the act, I have made the roads safer for the rest of us. That and I heard that AFOs/SFOs often patrol and can do the same job as traffic if they are not doing things related to their FO statuses.

Very excited and looking forward to it. Posted Image Posted Image.

That's a very cringy post. What role do you have now which requires you to pull people over for a blown bulb?

#30 MRF@1972

MRF@1972

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:21 PM

North Wales are, but you have to pass a welsh speaking exam...

sounds to tricky..think I will have to pass on that one!

#31 Rob_SRi

Rob_SRi

I'm new!

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:21 AM

wish i knew welsh...

didnt ever think id say that!

Rob

If you are truly committed you could complete the PLC course and then apply to Surrey, who are still presently recruiting!

Not an easy way but it could be an option?

D

very true.. im looking into seeing if there are such courses anywhere a little more local to me!

failing that i may start a degree course in policing next september

#32 Gizzy

Gizzy

Supreme Poster

• Members
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:31 PM

Who is recruiting now ??

Lothian and Borders Police are

#33 Nelson

Nelson

Vice Admiral of the White

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:50 AM

What's wrong with Scotland? Apart from having a few differences in law and procedure - it's still the same job. The south of Scotland isn't far north of Durham where you're 'OK' to go - we won't get shafted as much as E&W in these cuts, we get our wage increases backdated ( :ermm: ) and in the next few years we will become the second biggest force in the UK after the MET.

There's still loads of spaces in L&B though applications online must be in by the 1st November.

If you ain't in the race, you won't win it...

#34 blinket

blinket

L Plates

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 02:05 PM

What's wrong with Scotland? Apart from having a few differences in law and procedure - it's still the same job. The south of Scotland isn't far north of Durham where you're 'OK' to go - we won't get shafted as much as E&W in these cuts, we get our wage increases backdated ( :eek: ) and in the next few years we will become the second biggest force in the UK after the MET.

There's still loads of spaces in L&B though applications online must be in by the 1st November.

how many are they recruiting?

#35 Dizzydee

Dizzydee

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 02:26 PM

how many are they recruiting?

Sounds like their done, if the deadline was 1st November!

#36 Nelson

Nelson

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 02:31 PM

Sounds like their done, if the deadline was 1st November!

Oops. I meant 30th November!

I'd guess about 50 by the next financial year, judging on how many are coming to my divsision. Their recruitment is pretty much ongoing though.

#37 Gizzy

Gizzy

Supreme Poster

• Members
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:29 PM

BTP are recruiting for Scotland area

#38 j0annepsi

j0annepsi

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:40 PM

failing that i may start a degree course in policing next september

WHY??? What if you change your mind about joining the police, or you decide to leave the force? You'll be left with an extremely niche degree.

Better to do a more general degree - my degree is in psychology and I currently work in I.T. and radio! - and then do a post grad dip/masters in policing or criminology. You only really need a degree if you plan to become an inspector or above...

#39 cw8

cw8

L Plates

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:23 PM

WHY??? What if you change your mind about joining the police, or you decide to leave the force? You'll be left with an extremely niche degree.

Better to do a more general degree - my degree is in psychology and I currently work in I.T. and radio! - and then do a post grad dip/masters in policing or criminology. You only really need a degree if you plan to become an inspector or above...

In some forces it is looking like you may need a Foundation Degree in Policing in order to have the best chance of being allowed to apply....the bottom line is that graduates from this course have already paid for a good proportion of their training, so the force doesn't have to.

Edited by cw8, 07 December 2011 - 03:24 PM.

#40 Nelson

Nelson

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:33 PM

You only really need a degree if you plan to become an inspector or above...

You don't need a degree to get promoted at all. Confused by this statement...

#41 Untitled

Untitled

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:52 PM

Kent are recruiting 20 from Police Staff that have already passed the assessment centre in Feb 2012.

Once they're in, who knows when they will open up to MOP's/Specials/Staff.

#42 Nim

Nim

Bagpuss fan

• Members
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

I thought you did from Inspector upwards??

#43 Giraffe

Giraffe

PoliceSpecials.com Staff

• Moderators
  • 16,568 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:09 PM

I thought you did from Inspector upwards??

No, but there is a High Potential Development Scheme (I think that's what it's called), where you are earmarked for promotion early on if you have a degree (but only if you apply to join on that scheme, not just if you have a degree, if that makes sense). You still have to go through the same Sgt's / Insps exams and then apply for promotion to Chief Insp and above beyond that. There are plenty of people above Insp level who don't have degrees.

#44 j0annepsi

j0annepsi

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:56 AM

It's not a pre-requisite but two inspector friends told me that it helps a lot if you're going for a promotion above the level of inspector.

#45 ijsporter

ijsporter

Forum Convert

• Power Users
  • 465 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:08 PM

hi mate just a quick question from a special to reg do you have to do the pirt test, medical etc alllover again ..cheers ...:) ..

Surrey Police are still recruiting for regulars also. In fact we have been for at least the last year, probably longer.

#46 MC1

MC1

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:26 PM

No, but there is a High Potential Development Scheme (I think that's what it's called), where you are earmarked for promotion early on if you have a degree (but only if you apply to join on that scheme, not just if you have a degree, if that makes sense). You still have to go through the same Sgt's / Insps exams and then apply for promotion to Chief Insp and above beyond that. There are plenty of people above Insp level who don't have degrees.

Just to be clear, you don't need a degree to get on the HPDS. You used to need one but not any more.

#47 j0annepsi

j0annepsi

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

hi mate just a quick question from a special to reg do you have to do the pirt test, medical etc alllover again ..cheers ...:raz: ..

It probably differs from force to force but in general, yes you do.

#48 Nelson

Nelson

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:59 AM

It's not a pre-requisite but two inspector friends told me that it helps a lot if you're going for a promotion above the level of inspector.

Not sure how your force promotes its staff, but ours is done through an anonymous work-related competency based examples, followed by interviews. Having a degree isn't listed, and you certainly won't be allowed to mention it on your application form, as it's not a work-related example.

A degree may help you in formulating said examples, but it won't give you an advantage.

If you were going for ACPO rank then maybe one is necessary, but not for PI.

#49 mph

mph

Forum Regular

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:10 AM

Whether I become a Special or not, when Avon & Somerset begin recruiting Regulars I am most definitely going to apply. They have had recruitment closed for ages.

I am currently doing a BSc (Hons) with the Open University over the next three/four years and I have no problems fitting my studies around a full time Regulars job and it will give me very valuable life experience.

I thoroughly look forward to this, I have already narrowed down what I'd like to go into after my two years probation! :w00t:! I'd like to go into either Traffic or Firearms, with my SC/FAC I have a lot of experience and I get a very nice feeling from pulling a driver over with a broken light/no licence etc and knowing that by catching them in the act, I have made the roads safer for the rest of us. That and I heard that AFOs/SFOs often patrol and can do the same job as traffic if they are not doing things related to their FO statuses.

Very excited and looking forward to it. Posted Image Posted Image.

Although i dont think I agree with the part of getting excited about stopping a vehicle just for a bulb I would have to agree that I enjoy traffic work. you can get so much from a simple traffic stop, No insurance, no DL, drugs, drink drivers. As my tutor first told me (true or not) it all starts with a simple stop....

That's a very cringy post. What role do you have now which requires you to pull people over for a blown bulb?

It's a moving road traffic offence which allows you to do some digging, this can then be anything from words of advice to arrest depending what you find (Sorry but I'm very pro traffic, my tutor was ex traffic so had it from day one. i kind of get where this guy is coming from)

#50 MC1

MC1

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:41 AM

Although i dont think I agree with the part of getting excited about stopping a vehicle just for a bulb I would have to agree that I enjoy traffic work. you can get so much from a simple traffic stop, No insurance, no DL, drugs, drink drivers. As my tutor first told me (true or not) it all starts with a simple stop....

It's a moving road traffic offence which allows you to do some digging, this can then be anything from words of advice to arrest depending what you find (Sorry but I'm very pro traffic, my tutor was ex traffic so had it from day one. i kind of get where this guy is coming from)

I'm aware of how useful traffic stops can be. My point was that he is not a Special or regular, so why is he pulling people over for having a light out?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users