127 replies to this topic

#1 Rob_SRi

Rob_SRi

• Members
  • 11 posts
Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:16 AM

Hey guys and gals!

One of my first posts on here Posted Image

I've been an SC for a while now in West Mids and I love it.. I do near 100 hours a month around my day job (maybe cause im a little bit sad) Posted Image but hey ho..im hooked!

like a fair percentage of SC's im looking to join the regs and in the current climate thats proving, well, damn near impossible!

if you're Scottish you're okay.. it seems a few Scotttish forces are recruiting...I'm willing to move and I'm almost tempted to go up there! but that is getting a little extreme and obviously they do have different laws etc up there and the accent could take a while to understand.. I thought black country accent was hard ! but if its going to be years before anywhere else does I think I would do it!

Anyway, what im asking is..

whats the rumours everyones heard? word on the street? does anyone know any forces that are to be recruiting in the near future? hopefully this thread will make useful reading to others in my situation too!

some people say 4 months some people say 4 years.. I reckon it could be somewhere in the middle for some forces! whats your opinion? I Don't want to wait that long! Posted Image

#2 BobCat

BobCat

Very Experienced

• Members
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:24 AM

Hey Rob

Interesting question. Personally, I think the whole pay, pensions, conditions, etc thing that is going on at the moment will have a big impact on whether a lot of officers choose to stay or go.... the number of regs leaving, is going to be a major factor in recruitment decisions and police morale isn't very high at the moment. Personally, I can't see the recruitment freeze staying on for too much longer and it is already beginning to break - the Met, BTP, Surrey and CNC have all recruited recently, GMP and Avon & Somerset are recruiting in the coming months, so I think things are looking up. When the vacancies do appear, I think they will be increasingly restricted to internal applicants from that Force, so I've been saying to people, apply to be a special where you want to serve as a reg. As a special, I'd say you are well placed for when WMP starts recruiting.

Andy

#3 Transducer09

Transducer09

Training

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:19 PM

Keep up those hours if you can, as you'll be getting a huge amount of experience ready for when they start recruiting. I agree with Andy, and I personally can foresee officers leaving in the coming years due to the changes, which will open up vacancies. I know they want to cut police numbers, but if it turns out the officers leaving are going mainly from the frontline, then they'll have to be replaced. Also from what the goverment are saying, they want to get officers in the back-offices onto the frontline. This could mean for officers no more 9-5 and back to shift work, which might not be appealing and cause them also to leave. As much as this is a positive for those wanting to join desperately, I wonder if we would ever go back to large recruitment campaigns in the future if things don't look up due to lack of numbers? Very doubtful but a possibility if a huge number of officers left.

#4 Rob_SRi

Rob_SRi

• Members
  • 11 posts
Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:29 PM

Yeah, the way I'm looking at it.. a Uni course 3/4 years.. if I treat it like one.. its going to give me the tools to hit the ground running and hopefully in the eyes of the recruitment guys make me a good candidate ! if it takes me 3 years im probably still in a better position to get a job than most people leaving uni!

Just before i went to apply was when they were recruiting 100 officers a month into the force! typical! I doubt its ever going to go back to quite that volume! with the way the budgets are on the force.. I think there is going to have to be some fresh recruits at some point but it is easy to get disheartened!
I think you're right, there will be alot of officers who wont be happy and leave/take retirement.. every time i log on to the email system there is always loads of emails saying ''leaving do for so and so''

I think the police force needs money all round tbh.. trying to find a car at our nick is damn near impossible at times and we have one of the biggest beats on our LPU and hold a third of its crime!

As Andy said, yeah that is sound advice that does make sense I would love to work for WMP too so that works for me! Internal recruitment makes more sense too really, think most forces will follow the met in that idea.

Lothian and boarders police are recruiting regs for any of our scottish users info and I've heard Civil Nuclear Constabulary are too

#5 disco

disco

Getting There

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:01 PM

As are Dumfries and Galloway Police. Applications must be in for Nov 4th I believe. :oops:

Edited by disco, 08 October 2011 - 11:01 PM.

#6 MRF@1972

MRF@1972

On My Way

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:16 AM

I discovered Fife constabulary are also recruiting.

#7 Giraffe

Giraffe

-

• No Longer Here
  • 16,571 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:46 AM

Surrey Police are still recruiting for regulars also. In fact we have been for at least the last year, probably longer.

#8 golf_man

golf_man

Student

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:56 AM

Surrey Police recruiting, am I correct in saying that you have to have done the Police Law and Community course as a first recruitment step? after looking on their recruitment site that is all I can see, unless anybody has any other links?

And to add to this topic, I was quite annoyed to hear that someone i know, his sister has managed to make it into the regs with the met, and has only recently just turned 20? would I be thinking that she may have been in a back log of recruits who may have applied months or maybe years ago, and have finally been called up? I was also informed she was on 36k a year as a new recruit?!?!?:oops:

#9 Fenix

Fenix

Very Experienced

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:09 AM

Surrey Police recruiting, am I correct in saying that you have to have done the Police Law and Community course as a first recruitment step? after looking on their recruitment site that is all I can see, unless anybody has any other links?

And to add to this topic, I was quite annoyed to hear that someone i know, his sister has managed to make it into the regs with the met, and has only recently just turned 20? would I be thinking that she may have been in a back log of recruits who may have applied months or maybe years ago, and have finally been called up? I was also informed she was on 36k a year as a new recruit?!?!?:oops:

No she is most likely a Special who applied in April when recruitment opened for Specials -> Regs. There are many people on the current course aged in their early 20s including a good number of 20 year olds.

And yep Surrey Police only recruit PCs from people who have a PLC pass of 60% or more.

Edited by Fenix, 09 October 2011 - 11:09 AM.

#10 Rob_SRi

Rob_SRi

• Members
  • 11 posts
Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:44 PM

dont surrey also only recruit from people local to surrey too!

I'm willing to relocate.. but not Scotland! think im just going to have to wait!

I reckon forces are going to have to take from within like the Met..

think most forces tend to copycat whatever the met are doing anyway!

#11 Griffin

Griffin

Regular User

• Members
  • 552 posts
Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:36 PM

36k? really? :fwpc:

#12 SpudSL

SpudSL

Getting There

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:53 PM

I'm due to start my regulars training with Thames Valley Police after applying nearly three ago...

I've been on hold and on a waiting list for a training date for nearly two years. I believe TVP aren't looking to recruit for at least another 18 months to two years as they still have people on the wating list... I also think they'll end up going the way of the Met and recruit people after they have served time as a Special.

#13 BobCat

BobCat

Very Experienced

• Members
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:55 PM

I was also informed she was on 36k a year as a new recruit?!?!?:angry:

36k? really? ;)

I'm not sure if things have changed with the new MSC > PC system, but it used to be:

Pay
All Metropolitan police officers currently receive London weighting and allowances amounting to £6,501 on top of national police pay scales.

If you are new to the role, this means:

• £28,605 on commencing service
  • £31,176 on completion of initial 31 weeks' training
  • £32,610 after two years' probationer training.

#14 golf_man

golf_man

Student

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:57 PM

That must be where the amount I was told comes from, I did think it may have been a little bit 'pony' when I first was told! with pay scales like that, Met and City of London must have the highest start rates for regs across most forces, I do remember when BTP were recruiting and it was around 23K, strange how pay scales can differ so highly, with a job that is of the same level.

Just a foot note, I dont want to get into an arguement that all I have spoken about is money and pay scales etc, but figures like that do show police officers are quite well paid and rightly so :angry:

I'm not sure if things have changed with the new MSC > PC system, but it used to be:

Pay
All Metropolitan police officers currently receive London weighting and allowances amounting to £6,501 on top of national police pay scales.

If you are new to the role, this means:

• £28,605 on commencing service
  • £31,176 on completion of initial 31 weeks' training
  • £32,610 after two years' probationer training.

#15 BobCat

BobCat

Very Experienced

• Members
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

That must be where the amount I was told comes from, I did think it may have been a little bit 'pony' when I first was told! with pay scales like that, Met and City of London must have the highest start rates for regs across most forces, I do remember when BTP were recruiting and it was around 23K, strange how pay scales can differ so highly, with a job that is of the same level.

Just a foot note, I dont want to get into an arguement that all I have spoken about is money and pay scales etc, but figures like that do show police officers are quite well paid and rightly so :rolleyes:

I agree, well paid and rightly so.

BTP's pay isn't that different when you look at the allowances - a London based BTP officer will be on about £30k:

On commencing service £22,680
On completion of initial training £25,962

Then allowances - of which I assume you have only one of these:-

London Allowance £4,338
London Weighting £2,106
Ashford, Guildford, Milton Keynes, Reading, Southend Allowance £2000
Brighton, Southampton, Portsmouth Allowance £1000

Edited by Andy_Met, 10 October 2011 - 07:32 PM.

#16 peteee

peteee

Always Here

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:35 PM

Also I believe the new SC - PCs start on a higher pay band than previous new PCs.

#17 Rob_SRi

Rob_SRi

• Members
  • 11 posts
Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:51 AM

but then again its not all about the money or we wouldn't be doing it for free

but it sure does help!!!!! Posted Image

#18 Paulington

Paulington

Getting There

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:28 AM

Whether I become a Special or not, when Avon & Somerset begin recruiting Regulars I am most definitely going to apply. They have had recruitment closed for ages.

I am currently doing a BSc (Hons) with the Open University over the next three/four years and I have no problems fitting my studies around a full time Regulars job and it will give me very valuable life experience.

I thoroughly look forward to this, I have already narrowed down what I'd like to go into after my two years probation! :aok:! I'd like to go into either Traffic or Firearms, with my SC/FAC I have a lot of experience and I get a very nice feeling from pulling a driver over with a broken light/no licence etc and knowing that by catching them in the act, I have made the roads safer for the rest of us. That and I heard that AFOs/SFOs often patrol and can do the same job as traffic if they are not doing things related to their FO statuses.

Very excited and looking forward to it. Posted Image Posted Image.

#19 mdon

mdon

Very Experienced

• Members
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:12 AM

I thoroughly look forward to this, I have already narrowed down what I'd like to go into after my two years probation! :(! I'd like to go into either Traffic or Firearms, with my SC/FAC I have a lot of experience and I get a very nice feeling from pulling a driver over with a broken light/no licence etc and knowing that by catching them in the act, I have made the roads safer for the rest of us. That and I heard that AFOs/SFOs often patrol and can do the same job as traffic if they are not doing things related to their FO statuses.

You get a nice felling pulling people over for a broken light? That's just wrong!

As a traffic Sgt said to me once "don't given tickets out lightly, they are there only if you have as all you are doing is ticketing tomorrow's witness's"

I'm not saying I wouldn't do it if I still carried vdrs & ticket books (we don't do traffic when on patrol) but if someone just has a bulb out then it's a kind word to ask them to repair it the next day.

#20 Letitenfoldyou

Letitenfoldyou

Student

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:02 PM

Hey Rob

Interesting question. Personally, I think the whole pay, pensions, conditions, etc thing that is going on at the moment will have a big impact on whether a lot of officers choose to stay or go.... the number of regs leaving, is going to be a major factor in recruitment decisions and police morale isn't very high at the moment. Personally, I can't see the recruitment freeze staying on for too much longer and it is already beginning to break - the Met, BTP, Surrey and CNC have all recruited recently, GMP and Avon & Somerset are recruiting in the coming months, so I think things are looking up. When the vacancies do appear, I think they will be increasingly restricted to internal applicants from that Force, so I've been saying to people, apply to be a special where you want to serve as a reg. As a special, I'd say you are well placed for when WMP starts recruiting.

Andy

Excited by this rumour about Avsompol.

Where did you hear this, Andy? Any indication as to when recruitment will open?

David.

#21 Donks37

Donks37

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:23 PM

Excited by this rumour about Avsompol.

Where did you hear this, Andy? Any indication as to when recruitment will open?

David.

It's not a rumour it is a fact but it is only for an intake of 24 PCs for the time being, and those people are already on hold having completed the application process.

#22 Miki

Miki

Training

• Members
  • 238 posts
Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:00 PM

Durham have saved enough money for 10 PCs this financial year and 10 next financial year. This was announced yesterday and proposals are awaiting the Police Authority's approval. :huh:

Competition is going to be fierce, I can just see it 200,000 apps for 20 jobs!!!

#23 Millhouse

Millhouse

Regular User

• Members
  • 669 posts
Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:41 PM

Durham have saved enough money for 10 PCs this financial year and 10 next financial year. This was announced yesterday and proposals are awaiting the Police Authority's approval. :huh:

Competition is going to be fierce, I can just see it 200,000 apps for 20 jobs!!!

There will now. Shhh! B-)

#24 djmh

djmh

Training

• Members
  • 243 posts
Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:21 PM

Whether I become a Special or not, when Avon & Somerset begin recruiting Regulars I am most definitely going to apply. They have had recruitment closed for ages.

I am currently doing a BSc (Hons) with the Open University over the next three/four years and I have no problems fitting my studies around a full time Regulars job and it will give me very valuable life experience.

I thoroughly look forward to this, I have already narrowed down what I'd like to go into after my two years probation! :huh:! I'd like to go into either Traffic or Firearms, with my SC/FAC I have a lot of experience and I get a very nice feeling from pulling a driver over with a broken light/no licence etc and knowing that by catching them in the act, I have made the roads safer for the rest of us. That and I heard that AFOs/SFOs often patrol and can do the same job as traffic if they are not doing things related to their FO statuses.

Sorry I am confused, are you a serving special constable or not? as at the start of your post you say "whether I become a special or not" then further on you say " I get a very nice feeling from pulling a driver over" are you in it for all the excitment?

Our firearms guys turn up to all the good jobs, and then when we arrive they say I have arrested him can you do the statements etc? I will send you a copy of my PNB. It annoys me!

#25 Rob_SRi

Rob_SRi

• Members
  • 11 posts
Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:55 AM

persecuting someone for a bulb failure is not really my style... if you start dishing out tickets like they're going out of fashion you're probably going to run out of friendly faces quite quickly unless they majorly fail the attitude test with you from the start.. just a little advice is usually enough for most!

anyway back on topic!

after speaking to a member of HR at West Midlands Police they tell me that they had a meeting the other week and recruitment wont be likely to reopen till 2014 according to the cheif! obviously like everything this is subject to change but their are still applicants in the system who have completed test centre etc for when recruitment opens.. :) bad news for me!!

wish i hadn't asked now!!

hopefully neighbouring forces will be sooner... or somewhere a tad closer to home than scotland!! might wang an email off to durham and see how they stand with applicants at the moment.. im getting to the point where il move anywhere just to get a foot in the door! its frustrating and easy to get disheartened with everything as it is like banging your head against a brick wall!

like always.. ANY information or advice would be greatly appreciated... answers on the back of a postcard..

Thanks

Rob

Edited by Rob_SRi, 11 November 2011 - 01:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users