• 5,274 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:01 PM

I

WANT

A

VAUXHALL

INSIGNIA

NOW!!!!

Having taken my current car (a 10 year old Vauxhall Corsa which I've had for the last 5 years and whose ride quality and comfort levels really don't help my bad back) in to the Vauxhall main dealers for yet more emergency repairs I found myself browsing the showrooms of the various car dealerships located in the business park I have fallen totally in love with the Vauxhall Insignia!!

The only thing I haven't done (and I mean the only thing. I've even spec'd the variant, choices, optional extras and finance arrangements for a new one) is test driven one.

All the reviews say its a good car apart from slightly compromised rear headroom (well I'll be in the front, not the back and rarely have more than 1 passenger), lack of rear view (which is apparently more than adequately compensated for by getting the rear parking sensors) and the lack of feedback from the steering compared to the Ford Mondeo or BMW M3 which I've seen it compared to (though apparently its the same level you get in other vauxhalls and as I already drive a vauxhall I'm used to it)

Has anyone here got, or driven one that can provide feedback/advice??

#2 Sceptre

Sceptre

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:34 PM

Here's some advice: NEVER EVER GO TO A MAIN DEALER!!! Posted Image Find a decent local garage and go there, you'll pay a fraction of the price.

Insignias look quite flash for what they cost, but that's reflected in the insurance; if you're going from a Corsa (hem hem boy racer Posted Image) to an Insignia your insurance will leap up, as will your running costs. The Insignia engines are quite high on CO2 and not hugely economical unless you spring for a save-the-whales greener option, so your tax will be higher and fuel consumption probably lower. They're also supposed to be useless in the snow.

I'd test drive one before you do anything else; just ring Vauxhall and ask for a drive, they're unlikely to say no and there's no obligation.

#3 Vampyre

Vampyre

Settling In

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:25 PM

I had one as a courtesy car for a couple of weeks, a 2 litre diesel in SRi trim, and I've driven worse cars. It was quick, and comfortable on the motorway, but nowhere near as sharp as a Ford on twisty roads. It is a pretty big and well specced car though, and way, way better than a Vectra. I didn't find it particularly thirsty either, about 45mpg if I recall.
Don't buy a new one though, there are plenty out there at 12 to 18 months old that seem to be very reasonably priced.
If you like Vauxhalls, then they are probably a pretty good buy.

#4 Burnie

Burnie

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:52 PM

Insignias look quite flash for what they cost, but that's reflected in the insurance; if you're going from a Corsa (hem hem boy racer Posted Image) to an Insignia your insurance will leap up, as will your running costs. The Insignia engines are quite high on CO2 and not hugely economical unless you spring for a save-the-whales greener option, so your tax will be higher and fuel consumption probably lower. They're also supposed to be useless in the snow.

I'd not heard about them being useless in snow before.

And yes I accept that my insurance and tax would go up and I've looked at both of these and calculated for it. Fuel consumption will be roughly the same as a new insignia puts out around 40mpg in my chosen spec, my current car should put out 50mpg but gets more like 41mpg now so there's no real difference there.

If I do buy one though it would be a new one as I can only get my spec on finance from new, if I want a second hand one on finance then i'd have to look at second hand models in vxr spec which would put my insurance, tax and fuel consumption figures into unacceptable figures if I get the insignia.

#5 mdon

mdon

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:11 PM

Ive driven them before and they are good cars (go for the diesel as its better all round) but the ride is quite hard as they seats are unforgiving plus as the reviews say the rear headroom is rubbish. MPG on the diesel is VERY good for the size of car and the speeds I was doing.

#6 Sceptre

Sceptre

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:13 PM

And yes I accept that my insurance and tax would go up and I've looked at both of these and calculated for it. Fuel consumption will be roughly the same as a new insignia puts out around 40mpg in my chosen spec, my current car should put out 50mpg but gets more like 41mpg now so there's no real difference there.

If I do buy one though it would be a new one as I can only get my spec on finance from new, if I want a second hand one on finance then i'd have to look at second hand models in vxr spec which would put my insurance, tax and fuel consumption figures into unacceptable figures if I get the insignia.

The snow thing came from a mate who had one up until recently and really struggled in the winter as the tyres were quite wide and the wheels span easily. Otherwise he said it was a nice car though.

Don't buy a new one though, there are plenty out there at 12 to 18 months old that seem to be very reasonably priced.

That alone would make me quite wary - why are so many people deciding to replace them after such a short time?

#7 Vampyre

Vampyre

Settling In

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:58 PM

That alone would make me quite wary - why are so many people deciding to replace them after such a short time?

Vauxhall's volume market is to the fleet/rental sector, they're feeling the pinch in a big way, so are shifting surplus out at less than the normal 2 to 3 year mark.

#8 McFlurry

McFlurry

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:09 AM

I'm not here to criticize your choice, but if you do get one second hand make sure it's got as much warranty left as possible. I had a vectra-c and without the warranty (vauxhalls own) I'd have had to fork out twice for new gearboxes, new radiators and a new turbo (diesel) and it seemed to be an expected part of the owning process to have to replace all the rear suspension bushes every year.

#9 268

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:35 AM

Got one as a courtesy car yesterday, Huge boot! great car! I would buy one.

#10 gordon

gordon

Supreme Poster

• Members
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

I'm not here to criticize your choice, but if you do get one second hand make sure it's got as much warranty left as possible. I had a vectra-c and without the warranty (vauxhalls own) I'd have had to fork out twice for new gearboxes, new radiators and a new turbo (diesel) and it seemed to be an expected part of the owning process to have to replace all the rear suspension bushes every year.

If you buy a new (or very nearly new) Vauxhalls now come with their 'lifetime/100,000 mile warranty'. I'm not sure how good the warranty actually works out but it has made me consider buying one next time I buy a car, with the car driving that I do it could last me 20-25 years.

#11 IanW

IanW

PoliceSpecials.COM Staff

• Moderators
  • 5,300 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:37 PM

If you buy a new (or very nearly new) Vauxhalls now come with their 'lifetime/100,000 mile warranty'. I'm not sure how good the warranty actually works out but it has made me consider buying one next time I buy a car, with the car driving that I do it could last me 20-25 years.

Only for their first owner when i looked at the small print.

#12 gordon

gordon

Supreme Poster

• Members
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:00 PM

When they launched the new warranties they stated that they would add a facility to allow the second owner to have the same warranty, but they might not have done it yet.

#13 gordon

gordon

Supreme Poster

• Members
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:52 PM

Found the announcement

http://www.vauxhall....e_Warranty.html

Vauxhall's 100,000 Mile Lifetime Warranty now at Network QNetwork Q is delighted to announce that Vauxhall’s industry-leading 100,000 miles Lifetime Warranty, introduced last year for all new cars, is now available on used cars. The Network Q Lifetime Warranty is available to the second registered owner, and provides warranty cover however long the vehicle is kept, provided the mileage is below 100,000 miles.

All Network Q passenger cars, under 12 months & less than 30,000 miles, purchased from 7th January 2011 are eligible for this programme when registered to the second owner, with the existing Vauxhall 3 year/60,000 mile warranty also remaining in place.

#14 Hades

Hades

PoliceSpecials.com Staff

• Moderators
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:00 PM

Bear in mind that if you get 9mpg less on your current car than the combined figures then you're not going to hit the combined figures for a new car either..

They seem to get fairly average reviews from what I've seen, but I do quite like the styling.

#15 Vixxer

Vixxer

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:13 AM

buy new! makes sense if your a constable as you get the Vauxhall Partner rates which means extra discount on top of any finance deal. i got a brand new astra 1.9 back in 08, fully loaded bar satnav for 13k. list price was 25k. have you mentioned to the garage that you're "job". if you can syretch to the vxr, that's what i'd go for, however as said tax is a little too high for most people to justify (including myself) at the moment.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users