Photo
- - - - -

Section 165 Road Traffic Act

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
78 replies to this topic

#76 spook2106

spook2106

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

Not as a serving police officer but as a MOP, you have the legislation to seize the keys under Section 165.

As you are seizing the motor vehicle, the definitions are in

Road Traffic Act 1988 c. 52
Part VII
Interpretation
Section 185

The definition includes

(2)In subsection (1) above “excepted articles” means any of the following: water, fuel, accumulators and other equipment used for the purpose of propulsion, loose tools and loose equipment.

Taken from RTA 1988 section 185

#77 BazzaBill

BazzaBill

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:06 PM

Not as a serving police officer but as a MOP, you have the legislation to seize the keys under Section 165.

Part VII
Interpretation
Section 185

The definition includes

(2)In subsection (1) above "excepted articles" means any of the following: water, fuel, accumulators and other equipment used for the purpose of propulsion, loose tools and loose equipment.

Read it again carefully.

The definition of "excepted articles" is only relevant in determining the weight of certain vehicles, including locomotives. In determining the weight you exclude water, fuel etc.

The definition of "motor vehicle" in section 185(1) makes no mention of keys. So section 185 is of no use.

#78 Tisi

Tisi

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:26 PM

Tisi is a nickname for a very experienced traffic officer, who has starred in a popular police documentary series. Like I said, I'll look into it, I'm not willing to take your word as gospel as I would have done if you were "the real Tisi"

But I am the 'real' Tisi, at least to those that know me! There must be two real Tisis then. :aok:

#79 Thomo121

Thomo121

Settling In

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:02 PM

Part VII
Interpretation
Section 185

The definition includes

(2)In subsection (1) above "excepted articles" means any of the following: water, fuel, accumulators and other equipment used for the purpose of propulsion, loose tools and loose equipment.

As much as I would love to agree with you, the "excepted articles" are not relevant to a motor vehicle seizure under s165.