Photo
- - - - -

parking where double white lines are in the middle of the road

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 cpcnick

cpcnick

I'm new!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:52 PM

just a quick question

if there is no road markings on the road except a solid white line in the middle of the road on the opposite side and on your side a broken (short) white lines on your side is it illegal to park !, going by what i have read it would be illegal if i was parked on the solid white line side but not on the broken white line side, could some one who knows please answer the above question.....oh i have about 20 days left to either pay this fine (if i am in the wrong then i have no problem in paying) but thats what i need to know !, the ticket was given by a police officer which was stuck on my car front window.

The ticket reads illegally parked on double white lines (please remember my side is broken white lines)

thanks.....cpcnick

#2 Cuddles

Cuddles

Mischievous Northern monkey

• Moderators
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:02 PM

Our standard disclaimer: This forum is not intended as a legal advice drop-in centre. PoliceSpecials.com disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, operability or availability of information or material on this site, including - but not limited to - the documents available in the 'Reference Library' and 'Downloads' areas.

Please note that comments and advice given here with the best of intentions by the host, moderators or other users of the forum may not be correct, and that any advice given, in particular advice on the law and its application, is no substitute for personal legal advice from a solicitor.

#3 Chewie

Chewie

PS.com Staff & Wookiee

• Moderators
  • 10,065 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:25 PM

The ticket reads illegally parked on double white lines (please remember my side is broken white lines)

It doesn't matter - you cannot park on a road marked with double white lines (broken or otherwise) except to pick up or set down passengers. I'll try and dig out the relevant legislation if you like.

++EDIT++

It falls under the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002, S26.

Edited by Chewie, 26 July 2011 - 10:33 PM.

#4 brand b

brand b

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:12 PM

It doesn't matter - you cannot park on a road marked with double white lines (broken or otherwise) except to pick up or set down passengers. I'll try and dig out the relevant legislation if you like.
It falls under the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002, S26.

Alas the link doesn't work.
As a the broken white line does was on the side of the OP, then there would be no reason why they could not have a) overtaken and /or parked. The solid white line conveys that message. The parking may well be an obstruction or dangerous position due to the hazard for which the solid is there for, but parking to the broken line side would not seem to be an offence under that part of the regs. The exceptin shown to alit/pick up passengers is not shown either as that would mean following vehicles would have to eiher wait !!! or overtake (offence).

#5 Damsel

Damsel

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:45 PM

As a the broken white line does was on the side of the OP, then there would be no reason why they could not have a) overtaken and /or parked. The solid white line conveys that message. The parking may well be an obstruction or dangerous position due to the hazard for which the solid is there for, but parking to the broken line side would not seem to be an offence under that part of the regs. The exceptin shown to alit/pick up passengers is not shown either as that would mean following vehicles would have to eiher wait !!! or overtake (offence).

It is not an offence to overtake a stationary, or slow (<10mph/<16kph) moving vehicle while on a carriageway with an unbroken white line.

On the face of it, I can't find anything (on a quick search at least) that says you can/can't park on a road with standard road markings, although to do so *might* be causing an unnecessary obstruction to the carriageway, which is an offence. And if the carriageway has an unbroken white line to the left, it's also an offence to stop/park there, unless it's an emergency or you've brown down etc I believe.

#6 Ewokop

Ewokop

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:08 PM

It is not an offence to overtake a stationary, or slow (<10mph/<16kph) moving vehicle while on a carriageway with an unbroken white line.

Forgive me Damsel, but you are not 100% accurate with your point...

HW Code
Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
[Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26]

As for the parking. After a quick search I neither can find specific regulations to restriction on parking on the same side as a solid white line - with exception to it causing an obstruction...

EDIT -

After more searching I did find;

HW Code[/font]
[font="verdana, arial, sans-serif"]240;[/font]
[font="verdana, arial, sans-serif"]You MUST NOT stop or park on:

• the carriageway or the hard shoulder of a motorway except in an emergency (see Rule 270)
  • a pedestrian crossing, including the area marked by the zig-zag lines (see Rule 191)
  • a clearway (see 'Traffic signs')
  • taxi bays as indicated by upright signs and markings
  • an urban clearway within its hours of operation, even when a broken white line is on your side of the road, except to pick up or set down passengers (see 'Traffic signs')
  • a road marked with double white lines, except to pick up or set down passengers
  • a tram or cycle lane during its period of operation
  • a cycle track
  • red lines, in the case of specially designated ‘red routes’, unless otherwise indicated by signs
Any vehicle may enter a bus lane to stop, load or unload where this is not prohibited (see Rule 141).
[/font][font="verdana, arial, sans-serif"][Laws MT(E&W)R regs 7 & 9, MT(S)R regs 6 & 8, ZPPPCRGD regs 18 & 20, RTRA sects 5, 6 & 8, TSRGD regs 10, 26 & 27, RTA 1988 sects 21(1) & 36][/font]

You'll note that it doesn't actually specify which sort of white lines, but any double white line in the centre of the road regardless...

In conclusion, I would pay the ticket.

Edited by Ewokop, 27 July 2011 - 03:20 PM.

#7 Damsel

Damsel

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:14 PM

Forgive me Damsel, but you are not 100% accurate with your point...

Fair enough, I thought it was any (slow moving) vehicle. Learn something new everyday Posted Image

#8 Hotlush

Hotlush

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 8,398 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:18 PM

It looks like Chewie is right, although I'm struggling to get an image of the diagrams referred to they apparently include a variety of broken/un-broken markings.

Even Pepipoo agreees (http://forums.pepipo...php/t45796.html)

#9 Chewie

Chewie

PS.com Staff & Wookiee

• Moderators
  • 10,065 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:45 PM

As a the broken white line does was on the side of the OP, then there would be no reason why they could not have a) overtaken and /or parked.

It doesn't matter if the line is unbroken or not - the important point is that there are double lines in the centre of the road. Broken or unbroken, you cannot park there.