Photo
- - - - -

Joining the police, should I just give up?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 L-M.A.B_90

L-M.A.B_90

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:19 PM

Hi everyone,

It was always my dream to have a career in the police, but no matter what I do and try to do to make myself a more attractive candidate I ALWAYS fail at the first hurdle.
I have logged two previous Special Constable applications with S.W.P, and I failed both -
It's the competency based questions that get me every single time, and I can't help but think I will never be successful.
In the first attempt I was given D's for both 'Community and Customer Focus' and 'Resilience' -
In my second application, I was given a D (again!) in 'Community and Customer Focus'; but a B in 'Resilience'.

The application form contains four questions, are the four questions assessed and graded?
Or are only the two more comprehensive questions assessed?
Because the feedback sheet (given to failed candidates such as myself) only provides grades for 'Community and Customer Focus' and 'Resilience'.

I feel I have done a LOT to improve myself, for my third application -
I have involved myself more with people and I have taken up front line customer focused retail part-time employment, in the attempt to gain more experience in dealing with the public.

If I fail the paper-sift application question one more time, I am seriously considering moving on to something else in life.

After all, I imagine it is very rare for someone to fail and fall -
Twice on these questions, if I cannot even get past the first stage -
What hope do I ever have of passing the interview or assessment days?

I need help, a lot of help and a LOT of advice!
Because evidently I don't have a clue what I should be doing.

(Thanks to all in advance that reply)

#2 Loudand

Loudand

Settling In

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:02 PM

Hi everyone,

It was always my dream to have a career in the police, but no matter what I do and try to do to make myself a more attractive candidate I ALWAYS fail at the first hurdle.
I have logged two previous Special Constable applications with S.W.P, and I failed both -
It's the competency based questions that get me every single time, and I can't help but think I will never be successful.
In the first attempt I was given D's for both 'Community and Customer Focus' and 'Resilience' -
In my second application, I was given a D (again!) in 'Community and Customer Focus'; but a B in 'Resilience'.

The application form contains four questions, are the four questions assessed and graded?
Or are only the two more comprehensive questions assessed?
Because the feedback sheet (given to failed candidates such as myself) only provides grades for 'Community and Customer Focus' and 'Resilience'.

I feel I have done a LOT to improve myself, for my third application -
I have involved myself more with people and I have taken up front line customer focused retail part-time employment, in the attempt to gain more experience in dealing with the public.

If I fail the paper-sift application question one more time, I am seriously considering moving on to something else in life.

After all, I imagine it is very rare for someone to fail and fall -
Twice on these questions, if I cannot even get past the first stage -
What hope do I ever have of passing the interview or assessment days?

I need help, a lot of help and a LOT of advice!
Because evidently I don't have a clue what I should be doing.

(Thanks to all in advance that reply)

Firstly dont even think about giving up because thats half way to failing again.

I've been told that first and foremost all applications are grammer checked before anything else so keep that in mind and can be thrown out even before any other part of the application is studied.

I'm no application form assessor but i would say there most likely plenty of people out there that fail more than once.

What you need to figure out in your own mind is what the question wants you to say, go over and over in your mind what its asking.

Have you tried calling a local station and asking for help?

#3 Melissajane83

Melissajane83

L Plates

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:12 PM

As mentioned above dont think about giving up, if its something you want then you need to keep trying over and over... As soon as you start to give up then you might aswell just not apply.

I first applied to GMP when I was 18 and failed at first stage, applied again a year later, again failed, left it a couple of years, applied again when i was 22, failed again.... I just continued to work Full Time for a while and applied again 2 years ago, failed again..... All of this at papersift.

Applied again this year for BTP as a special and I have my medical this week.

Believe me, if its something you want you will get there eventually, I could have got here earlier if I didnt take huge gaps between applying. You will get there, just believe in yourself.

I know it can be a pain filling out the same form over and over but you have to stick with it if its what you really want.

Hope this helps and sorry if I went on with myself. Hope it works for you this time round :rolleyes: .... Good Luck

#4 Otto

Otto

Learning the Ropes

• Power Users
  • 160 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:26 PM

If Its what you really want to do don't give up you'll get there in the end.....

I had wanted to be a police officer from being a child, when I was 19 I failed to get into Cheshire police, I was so despondent, I gave up completely and now I bitterly regret it, If I could go back and give my 19 year old self a good talking to his ears would be burning for a month, now I'm 47 in a job I don't enjoy much, but loving my 'Specialing'

Don't give up!

#5 Loudand

Loudand

Settling In

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:36 PM

If Its what you really want to do don't give up you'll get there in the end.....

I had wanted to be a police officer from being a child, when I was 19 I failed to get into Cheshire police, I was so despondent, I gave up completely and now I bitterly regret it, If I could go back and give my 19 year old self a good talking to his ears would be burning for a month, now I'm 47 in a job I don't enjoy much, but loving my 'Specialing'

Don't give up!

It's not too late Otto....

#6 L-M.A.B_90

L-M.A.B_90

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:43 PM

Firstly dont even think about giving up because thats half way to failing again.

I've been told that first and foremost all applications are grammer checked before anything else so keep that in mind and can be thrown out even before any other part of the application is studied.

I'm no application form assessor but i would say there most likely plenty of people out there that fail more than once.

What you need to figure out in your own mind is what the question wants you to say, go over and over in your mind what its asking.

Have you tried calling a local station and asking for help?

Thank you for the words of advice.
As I understand it to be - Application paper-sifting is apparently carried out by an external psychologist that looks for the positives and negatives, grading accordingly.
I believe the problem with external grading and assessing of C.B.Qs is what one individual considers to be poor, below average and menial; another may view as a strong performance.
It is purely based on luck and the opinions of an individual assessor.
Sometimes you can strike lucky, other times you will fail.
It's all rather hit and miss and this is why I am against the whole concept of C.B.Qs in the application form, I am pleased to read that many forces are now scrapping these questions in their application forms.

As mentioned above dont think about giving up, if its something you want then you need to keep trying over and over... As soon as you start to give up then you might aswell just not apply.

I first applied to GMP when I was 18 and failed at first stage, applied again a year later, again failed, left it a couple of years, applied again when i was 22, failed again.... I just continued to work Full Time for a while and applied again 2 years ago, failed again..... All of this at papersift.

Applied again this year for BTP as a special and I have my medical this week.

Believe me, if its something you want you will get there eventually, I could have got here earlier if I didnt take huge gaps between applying. You will get there, just believe in yourself.

I know it can be a pain filling out the same form over and over but you have to stick with it if its what you really want.

Hope this helps and sorry if I went on with myself. Hope it works for you this time round :) .... Good Luck

Well done on your success, it is an inspiring story -
I will keep posted here on my progress; but brace yourself for it might be quite a wait... :rolleyes:

#7 KPR-58

KPR-58

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:43 PM

Firstly, I'm sorry to read about your recent bad luck.

Not exactly the same, but similar: I'm considering joining the Army as an officer, and have done both stages of Army Officer Selection Board. The first I got a reasonable Pass at, but the final stage I failed - because I couldn't do enough Press-ups. I felt absolutely awful at the time, and the Board C.O. gave me a real, well...telling-off is the polite term. I felt as though it was pointless to carry on with this idea and to find something else because I wasn't good enough. But...

...the Board want me to go back and try again. The other candidates I was there with were incredibly kind and made a point of saying goodbye, shaking hands, and 'We'll see you at Sandhurst!'. I was very touched by their kindness: they didn't see me for as much of a failure as I saw myself. They also told me some interesting stories; several of them were on their second attempt, and several knew people who had defied the system and proved it wrong, and went on to Sandhurst and got a Commission. One of those is a friend of mine: she failed twice, passed third time, and is now a Major!

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say from this slightly rambling anecdote is - don't give up! You must feel pretty rotten at the moment, but keep at it: we look forward to reading your post when you pass!

Furthermore, for the written stuff for the Specials exam at Hendon I found it really useful to go through it all in the week leading up to it with one of my housemates: we colonised a corner of the local Starbucks and, over coffee, he talked through it all with me, pretended to be my interviewer, etc. It helped so much - and I hope it may help you too. :rolleyes:

#8 L-M.A.B_90

L-M.A.B_90

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:46 PM

Firstly, I'm sorry to read about your recent bad luck.

Not exactly the same, but similar: I'm considering joining the Army as an officer, and have done both stages of Army Officer Selection Board. The first I got a reasonable Pass at, but the final stage I failed - because I couldn't do enough Press-ups. I felt absolutely awful at the time, and the Board C.O. gave me a real, well...telling-off is the polite term. I felt as though it was pointless to carry on with this idea and to find something else because I wasn't good enough. But...

...the Board want me to go back and try again. The other candidates I was there with were incredibly kind and made a point of saying goodbye, shaking hands, and 'We'll see you at Sandhurst!'. I was very touched by their kindness: they didn't see me for as much of a failure as I saw myself. They also told me some interesting stories; several of them were on their second attempt, and several knew people who had defied the system and proved it wrong, and went on to Sandhurst and got a Commission. One of those is a friend of mine: she failed twice, passed third time, and is now a Major!

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say from this slightly rambling anecdote is - don't give up! You must feel pretty rotten at the moment, but keep at it: we look forward to reading your post when you pass!

Furthermore, for the written stuff for the Specials exam at Hendon I found it really useful to go through it all in the week leading up to it with one of my housemates: we colonised a corner of the local Starbucks and, over coffee, he talked through it all with me, pretended to be my interviewer, etc. It helped so much - and I hope it may help you too. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your kind words, I suppose nothing that is worth having in life ever comes easy -
It's just a waiting game, a frustrating one -
But one that's unavoidable -
Perhaps it will be third time lucky, I will have to wait and see

#9 Prae

Prae

Forum Fixture

• Power Users
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:04 PM

When I'm filling out CBQ's I get the list of competencies that is available on this site and look at the one pertaining to the question I'm answering, I then choose a situation that ticks all the positive indicators and none of the negative indicators. You can't fail with a little life experience and this method.

I failed the papersift twice when I was younger but now I've passed it twice for different forces doing this.

Edit: Just to add NEVER give up, resilience is one of the core competencies! :rolleyes:

Edited by Prae, 05 July 2011 - 05:05 PM.

#10 L-M.A.B_90

L-M.A.B_90

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:36 AM

When I'm filling out CBQ's I get the list of competencies that is available on this site and look at the one pertaining to the question I'm answering, I then choose a situation that ticks all the positive indicators and none of the negative indicators. You can't fail with a little life experience and this method.

I failed the papersift twice when I was younger but now I've passed it twice for different forces doing this.

Edit: Just to add NEVER give up, resilience is one of the core competencies! :strop:

Many thanks!
I have looked at the ICF (Integrated Competency Framework) before; and I thought my answers were very strong.
Passed my Resilience, so I will use the same example next time -
Just need to work on Community and Customer Focus and find something that will be deemed suitable, as I have said I've made what I consider to be improvements -
On the next attempt there will be a traceable employment history; which I hope will add weight and go in my favour and allow the assesor to see I have gained the life experience.
Sometimes however, I feel I am swimming against the water - But it is the same with everything in life, I suppose we just have to get up and try again.
Thanks again for your advice, appreciated.

#11 EvoChris

EvoChris

Forum Regular

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:42 PM

Maybe try making yourself known to your local sarge, he may have the time to go through with you one of your applications and give his views to assist you.

I have wanted to do the same and be 2 things since I was a kid 1) a car salesman & 2) a policeman. I am lucky now to have done numero 1 and doing numero 2 now.

there are thousands of people in your position and wanting the same thing. You just have to learn from any mistakes that you can and progress for next time.

I was in the same boat and had 1 previous application rejected and was annoyed so much I didnt think I would apply again. 1 year later im with the BTP. keep going and you will get there.

Ive been wanting this since I was 4 years old. 1 motorbike accident later I never thought I would be able to join due to damage suffered (broken shin in 3 places) but after having it rested and treat properly 7years later I have joined.

Good luck to you, keep your head up and use it as motivation for your next application, dont be dishearteaned.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users