Photo
- - - - -

Disclosure Scotland

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 stephen2008

stephen2008

I'm new!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:19 PM

Hello,

Sorry if this is the wrong place website to post this but I am having huge trouble finding an answer.

Over 6 months ago I was questioned by the police (I attended the station of my own free will) regarding a Child Protection issue (I am a teacher). The interviewing officer said at the end of the interview that she didn't see anything in the case, but she had to investigate. Needless to say that there was nothing in the case - a very minor error on my part and a very twisted mother (it turns out I ignored her in a pub one night...). Nothing at all to do with child safety being compromised.

When I was interviewed I signed a sheet (I can't remember what it was called). The officer put down Breach of the Peace as the potential charge. I was never formally charged and the police dismissed the case the same day. There were many blatant untruths that were easily proven to be such.

I am trying to apply for jobs away from teaching as the whole thing has left me in such a mess. A few jobs will require disclosures of various types as I will be in the proximity of children and vulnerably adults. I want to know if this will turn up on the Enhanced Disclosure as 'breach of the peace' of a 'Child protection investigation'. Thanks to anybody that can help.

#2 Andrew999

Andrew999

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:03 PM

My disclaimer: I am not an expert and my advice or statement may be completely wrong so do not rely on it!

The Disclosure Scotland website (here) describes what shows up.

Everything appears on an enhanced disclosure but from what you said, it wasn't a even a caution, so it may only appear in the last category (Other relevant information held by police forces) when they run a search. I also think that if something does show up, they will decide on an case by case basis whether to include it on the form.

If the facts are as you have stated, I doubt they would include it.

Edited to remove accidental copy & paste!

Edited by andrew999, 14 January 2011 - 09:05 PM.

#3 Lucozade

Lucozade

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,449 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:22 PM

When I was interviewed I signed a sheet (I can't remember what it was called). The officer put down Breach of the Peace as the potential charge

That would have been a voluntary attendance declaration. The enquiry officer fills in your details and the crime they're investigating - then ask you to sign acknowledging you are at the police office voluntarily and understand you can leave at any time.

I'd strongly recommend you contact either the police force that dealt with you and ask to speak to their disclosure department for guidance or contact disclosure scotland direct.

#4 Nelson

Nelson

Vice Admiral of the White

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:59 PM

You could also look up your forces version of the 'Subject Access' requests. See here for Lothian and Borders -

http://www.lbp.polic...-protection.asp

I would imagine since you were only asked questions under caution, and not even detained or arrested that nothing would appear. Perhaps getting a Disclosure Scotland check done yourself would answer your question (if that's possible, I'm not sure how it works exactly).

#5 Andrew999

Andrew999

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:21 PM

Perhaps getting a Disclosure Scotland check done yourself would answer your question (if that's possible, I'm not sure how it works exactly).

You'd have to pay £20 for it but I think it would show anything up.

You are sent a copy as well when you apply through a charity etc anyway.

#6 Damsel

Damsel

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 6,718 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:06 PM

Our standard disclaimer: This forum is not intended as a legal advice drop-in centre. PoliceSpecials.com disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, operability or availability of information or material on this site, including - but not limited to - the documents available in the 'Reference Library' and 'Downloads' areas.

Please note that comments and advice given here with the best of intentions by the host, moderators or other users of the forum may not be correct, and that any advice given, in particular advice on the law and its application, is no substitute for personal legal advice from a solicitor.