• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DanielS

DanielS

TeaBoy (Retired with Distinction)

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:58 AM

A JUDGE was told to “shut up” by a man who walked into a court room.

Terence Howarth, aged 22, interrupted Judge Steven Everett as he was passing sentence on a case at Bolton Crown Court.

He went into the court room while the judge was speaking and sat in the wrong place, looking at his mobile phone.

When Judge Everett asked him to leave, Howarth asked if he was joking.

The judge said he did not joke and Howarth replied: “Oh shut up”.

Judge Everett ordered police to keep him in a side room and he was later taken down to the court’s cells and sought legal advice.

Howarth was brought back before Judge Everett later in the day, when he was warned he could face two years in jail for contempt of court.

He said to the judge: “I didn’t appreciate the way you spoke to me. I didn’t know it wasn’t a public gallery. You asked me to leave when I hadn’t done anything wrong. I apologise to you and the court.”

Judge Everett said: “Whether you like it or not, what I ask you to do, you must do. There is no back-chat here and you shouldn’t tell the judge to shut up. I am prepared to accept that in the heat of the moment, you said something you didn’t mean.”

Howarth was allowed to leave the court after the judge

Source: The Bolton News

Posted Image

#2 Cuddles

Cuddles

Mischievous Northern monkey

• Moderators
  • 5,853 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:06 PM

Haha, berk.

Here's another fairly local one. Noel O'Brien is a former councillor who has a bit of a temper to say the least and he has been in trouble quite a lot in recent years. In fact, if you put his name into the Lancashire Telegraph website you get plenty of stories about him. My favourite, however is this one where he has knocked on his backside at court by a solicitor.

#3 Headset57

Headset57

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:04 PM

i don't agree with judges being able to cart blanche do what they like,

Judge Everett said: “Whether you like it or not, what I ask you to do, you must do.

contempt of court, a be all and catcl 'offence', yeh like he'll get 6 yeras, more likely 6 days, or even hours
still he 'appologised' after receiving free legal advice:evil:

#4 David

David

Ninja Pussycat :)

• Moderators
  • 31,526 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:58 PM

Why not? Perhaps if a few more did so we'd see a lot less repeat offenders or those sticking two fingers up at the law. In any event he was very likely working within his own jurisdiction anyway and therefore quite able to do what he did.

Of course it would have to all be within reason, let's get that clear.

#5 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 9,897 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:38 PM

It's not though, it's just authority to ensure that anything that happens in their court is orderly and respectful.

#6 gordon

gordon

Supreme Poster

• Members
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:32 AM

The guy was stupid to have a go at the judge, but if this guy sat in the wrong place perhaps there is a problem with the layout of the court that the public gallery isn't obvious to a non-repeat visitor.

#7 JS

JS

Supreme Poster

• Members
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:35 AM

As others have said, why not ?

If Judges don't have the freedom to control the behaviour within the court (with sanction) then the business of the court can't properly proceed. Given that the Judge is "in charge" of the courtroom, it would seem to me that the decision as to what happens should rest there, if you are convicted of contempt of court there is an appeals process ...

James

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users