26 replies to this topic

#1 Burnie

Burnie

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:31 PM

Okay - here's the situation:

My landlord has just had the garden redone. This involved stripping out the weeds, laying a new weedproof mat on top of the existing gravel and then shovelling on a new load of pea-gravel (3 tonnes of the stuff)

Unfurtunately the local feline population have decided that my garden is now a huge kitty-litter tray. I am finding 3 or 4 'specimen' of fox and cat mess in the gravel every day.

Does anyone have any (free/cheap) suggestions as to how to stop this. We didn't have a problem until the garden was re-done.

#2 Paradox

Paradox

PS.com Logical Absurdity

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 8,124 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:34 PM

You can get a motion activated sprinkler. You connect them to a hose, turn them on at night time or whenever you want to use them, and they spray the garden with water whenever an animal walks by. Plus I believe they are pretty cheap.

Just remember to turn it off before you go outside. My friend has made that mistake several times. :)

#3 Rocket

Rocket

PoliceSpecials.COM Staff

• Moderators
  • 12,520 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:56 PM

Pee on your path and garden to mark your territory.

I have chickens, and peeing around their coup and run keeps the foxes away.

#4 Burnie

Burnie

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:02 PM

Pee on your path and garden to mark your territory.

I have chickens, and peeing around their coup and run keeps the foxes away.

Oooo-kay....

Not going to be my first option mind you as though I have no doubt it will work (scent marking of territory and all that) it'll take a lot of pee to do (as we have wire fences down both sides of the garden) and I'll have to convince the other housemates to along with it.

Cheers for the suggestions though - I'll bear it in mind and put the suggestion to the landlord.

with regards to the motion activated sprinkler - again, I'll look into costs and put the suggestion to the landlord

#5 Paradox

Paradox

PS.com Logical Absurdity

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 8,124 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:04 PM

Also I think you can get motion activated sonic alarms. It's an alarm that runs on batteries and emits a noise above the range of human hearing whenever something moves in the garden. Foxes, cats, dogs hate the noise apparently.

Also cheap.

#6 Burnie

Burnie

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:08 PM

Ah-ha

Next door has one - I know because I can hear the tone and it drives me up the wall everytime I walk past their front garden!

Oh - pre-emptive strike. I'm struggling to think of solutions myself at the moment as I'm incredibly drowsy thanks to a good ol' case of man-flu

#7 Merlin820

Merlin820

PS.com All Woman

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:13 PM

What Rocket said or see if you can borrow someone's dog to pee on your garden.

I have a water pistol so fire that at the cats that seem to think they live at my house and therefore can rubbish in my garden! :) There's all sorts of tips you can find on the net though, just try them all and see what works.

#8 Damsel

Damsel

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 6,727 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:55 PM

Oh - pre-emptive strike. I'm struggling to think of solutions myself at the moment as I'm incredibly drowsy thanks to a good ol' case of man-flu

Pre-emptive strike huh. ok, it's not free or cheap, but it'll be loads of fun.

Posted Image

No 4 shot, and a 1/4 choke.

Sorted. Posted Image

Edit: And before anyone get's any daft ideas, I meant for the foxes. (I'd use No 2 shot for cats)

Edited by Damsel, 15 September 2010 - 07:58 PM.

#9 Paradox

Paradox

PS.com Logical Absurdity

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 8,124 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:03 PM

Pre-emptive strike huh. ok, it's not free or cheap, but it'll be loads of fun.

No 4 shot, and a 1/4 choke.

Sorted. Posted Image

Edit: And before anyone get's any daft ideas, I meant for the foxes. (I'd use No 2 shot for cats)

Well, if you're going to go an inch you might as well go the mile:
Attached File  Landmine.jpg   142.42KB   9 downloads

#10 Doghandler2009

Doghandler2009

Die Hard

• New Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:09 PM

human hair will keep foxes away so i have heard put ito tights

pepper is supposed to work for cats or plant catnip

#11 Paradox

Paradox

PS.com Logical Absurdity

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 8,124 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:10 PM

...or plant catnip

Cats love catnip!

#12 Damsel

Damsel

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 6,727 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:19 PM

Well, if you're going to go an inch you might as well go the mile:
Attached File  Landmine.jpg   142.42KB   9 downloads

Well, it'd work but it's going to take a hell of a lot of explaining when the guy comes to read your meter and ends up splattered all over the daffodils Posted Image

#13 Paradox

Paradox

PS.com Logical Absurdity

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 8,124 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:21 PM

Well, it'd work but it's going to take a hell of a lot of explaining when the guy comes to read your meter and ends up splattered all over the daffodils Posted Image

Nah! Just replace it with a new one, problem solved! :w00t:

#14 Doghandler2009

Doghandler2009

Die Hard

• New Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:24 PM

meter, guy or dafadils ?

#15 Paradox

Paradox

PS.com Logical Absurdity

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 8,124 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:25 PM

meter, guy or dafadils ?

Landmine. :w00t:

#16 Damsel

Damsel

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 6,727 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:25 PM

meter, guy or dafadils ?

Sooner or later E On are going to run out of people that are willing to read your meter Posted Image

#17 Paradox

Paradox

PS.com Logical Absurdity

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 8,124 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:27 PM

Sooner or later E On are going to run out of people that are willing to read your meter Posted Image

That's okay. My meter estimates tend to be much kinder than their readings anyway. :w00t:

#18 2KE

2KE

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:48 PM

The mine's no fun, no participation involved...

Noo, this is what you need: Posted Image

Yup, maybe pop into work for a bit as well :w00t:

Muhahaha,

Regards,
2KE

#19 SkinSte

SkinSte

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:56 PM

Posted Image

#20 French-A

French-A

Forum Fixture

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:26 PM

Take a leaf out of the vietcongs arsenal

Get a lot (depending on the size of the garden and the cat / foxes point of entry and exit) of cocktail sticks or wooden (environmentally friendly) kebab skewers and place them in the ground so they protrude approximately 3/4 to 1inch place them in a criss cross pattern so their isn't enough space for the cats to put their paws betweenthe stakes and they will not try to get into your garden as they cannot pick their way through them.

This doesnt actually hurt the cats as when they are walking they place their paws quite softly so hit the first stake and they back off.

#21 Burnie

Burnie

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:30 PM

Get a lot (depending on the size of the garden and the cat / foxes point of entry and exit) of cocktail sticks or wooden (environmentally friendly) kebab skewers and place them in the ground so they protrude approximately 3/4 to 1inch place them in a criss cross pattern so their isn't enough space for the cats to put their paws betweenthe stakes and they will not try to get into your garden as they cannot pick their way through them.

This doesnt actually hurt the cats as when they are walking they place their paws quite softly so hit the first stake and they back off.

Hmmm mini pungee pits...

#22 French-A

French-A

Forum Fixture

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:34 PM

no need to smear them with feaces either like the vietnamese did you dont intend to kill the cats through TSS

Plus when the cat stands o nthem they usually do that for you Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 Merlin820

Merlin820

PS.com All Woman

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:24 PM

Still having major issues with this, and the smell in this heat is awful and continually picking up cat mess so that we don't either stick a trowel in it while weeding or have to clean it out of the lawnmower! :confused:

We've tried human urine (not mine), worked for a while but worse now and also pepper powder. Next door had their grandson's dog living with them for a while which worked for them but now the dog's gone home the cats are back. A bit drastic getting a dog just for that so..................anyone tried anything that actually works? Did you solve the issue Burnie?

#24 Rocket

Rocket

PoliceSpecials.COM Staff

• Moderators
  • 12,520 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:30 PM

Sounds like the situation is desperate, so...

Posted Image

#25 Merlin820

Merlin820

PS.com All Woman

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:36 PM

Sounds like the situation is desperate, so...

Posted Image

I daren't 'say what I see' as I don't wish to upset the cat lovers amongst us but yep, getting that way I'm so brassed off with them!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users