Photo
- - - - -

Buying an untaxed vehicle/Taxation classes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 GaryW

GaryW

Trooper

• Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:26 PM

First of all I understand that this isn't legal advice which is fine as I'm just trying to get a clearer understanding of the law around vehicle taxation and taxation classes.

My wife is in the process of buying a car and one she looked at was registered with the DVLA as a disabled persons vehicle and had no tax on it. The dealer hinted that she would be fine driving it away with no tax and going to the local post office to get it taxed.

So, my questions :aok:

Driving a car with no road tax is illegal so the best thing to do is getting the car taxed then driving it away - no problem there but are there any exemptions from driving untaxed if you are driving to the post office to get tax? I know there are for MOTs but generally it isn't advisable.

Second question - the car is listed with the DVLA as a disabled persons car so that would have to be changed. as I understand it, this isn't a five minute over the phone job and if it isn't done then the wrong class of tax disc would be issued?

I really have no clue about the taxation classes so it's that area that I'm after a bit more info on about how it all works.

Thanks very much.

#2 Hyde

Hyde

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

It was my belief that you are allowed to drive it to the Tax office to buy Tax, but anywhere else and you aren't covered. However, not sure how this applies to a disabled-registered vehicle

#3 TallGuy

TallGuy

Supreme Poster

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:33 PM

Driving to a Post Office or DLO in order to obtain a Vehicle Excise Licence is not permitted.

If you have a local DLO (click here) then they are the best place to go and get the vehicle taxation class changed and new VEL issued.

#4 daviesn

daviesn

L Plates

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:39 PM

when i recently bought a car that had a disabled tax classifiaction i had to go to my local dvla office, had to fill out a form, to change the tax classification and to get issued with a new tax disc, but at the time travelling to the dvla office the car was classed as having tax but no tax disc as the previous owner had removed it to send back to claim back the tax on. only problem was that the local dvla office wasn't so local about 15 miles away lol.

#5 jobo

jobo

Settling In

• Excluded
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 05:15 PM

give the dealer the money and tell him to get it taxed

tax exemptions are the same as mot exemptions,,on the way to/ back from a mot centre ect etc

#6 Damsel

Damsel

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:42 PM

tax exemptions are the same as mot exemptions,,on the way to/ back from a mot centre ect etc

Afraid that's not quite correct. There are no exemptions which allow anyone to drive an untaxed vehicle on the road, unless it is one of the very few exemptions that are allowed for MOT & VIC checks. Or the driver has, and is using, trade plates.

You would be unable to (legally) pick up an untaxed vehicle from a dealer and then drive it to a post office or DVLA local office, as to do so would render you liable for prosecution for two offences. Using a vehicle on the public road which is untaxed, and/or failing to display a valid VEL.

The best way to accomplish what you need to do is... Go to the dealer and pay for the vehicle. Pick up the V5C, which will show the vehicle in the 'Disabled' taxation class. Drive to the DVLA local office, fill in the necessary bits of the V5C, and you'll also need to complete a form V10, they're available online if you wanted to fill it in beforehand to save a bit of time.

Once the forms are filled in, you'll be able to pay the DVLA their blood money, and they'll issue you with a VEL in the correct taxation class for your vehicle. They'll also take care of the re-registration of the vehicle on the V5C, and the change in taxation class on the V5C, which you'll get back through the post after about 4 weeks.

Then, armed with your (expensive) VEL, you drive back to the dealers, pop it i the window of your new wheels, and providing you've got insurance, you can drive your nice new (to you) vehicle home.

Obviously, this only works if you have 2 people, or your trading in the vehicle that you're going to go to the DVLA in. :p

#7 GaryW

GaryW

Trooper

• Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:50 PM

Lovely answer Damsel, Thank you very much for that.

#8 gordon

gordon

Supreme Poster

• Members
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:01 PM

I didn't think dealers were allowed to sell untaxed vehicles anymore?

#9 jobo

jobo

Settling In

• Excluded
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:18 PM

how is that NOT quite right ?
I say the only exemptions are as per MOT exemptions and you correct me and say NO is only the same as MOT exemptions ,,, please explain

Afraid that's not quite correct. There are no exemptions which allow anyone to drive an untaxed vehicle on the road, unless it is one of the very few exemptions that are allowed for MOT & VIC checks. Or the driver has, and is using, trade plates.

#10 GaryW

GaryW

Trooper

• Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:56 PM

I didn't think dealers were allowed to sell untaxed vehicles anymore?

Apparently it's a common practice although a dealer I spoke to this afternoon said they would arrange tax during the purchas. I just think my wife picked a particularly bad dealer who thought he has an easy sale until I had a few words.

#11 Damsel

Damsel

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:39 PM

how is that NOT quite right ?
I say the only exemptions are as per MOT exemptions and you correct me and say NO is only the same as MOT exemptions ,,, please explain

OK, the question was "can I drive a car from a dealer, untaxed, to a post office/DVLA local office to tax it?" To which the answer is no.

You cannot utilise an exemption to VEL which are allowed under the law only as regards to taking a vehicle for an MOT or VIC check, as that's not why the vehicle would be on the road at the time.

While you were 'technically' correct, the exemptions that you mentioned have nothing to do with the question that was asked.

#12 jobo

jobo

Settling In

• Excluded
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:05 PM

OK, the question was "can I drive a car from a dealer, untaxed, to a post office/DVLA local office to tax it?" To which the answer is no.

You cannot utilise an exemption to VEL which are allowed under the law only as regards to taking a vehicle for an MOT or VIC check, as that's not why the vehicle would be on the road at the time.

While you were 'technically' correct, the exemptions that you mentioned have nothing to do with the question that was asked.

??????????????????????????

I didnt sat it was,, I told him the ONLY exemption that existed was for MOTs as you then repeated after me whilst telling me I was wrong

He could of course Book an MOT test conveniently near the dvla office and then forget to attend

#13 GaryW

GaryW

Trooper

• Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:15 AM

He could of course Book an MOT test conveniently near the dvla office and then forget to attend

Which would be quite daft. If I did that and got pulled I'd assume the fact that the car was just bought and had a full, existing MOT would be enough for the police to get a little bit suspicious and thus put a serious dent in my plan to join the specials.

No thanks. I'll do it the proper way.

As an update my wife told the car dealer where to go as she didn't like his attitude and she is off to a different car dealer later on today. One who said that the cars they have are untaxed but they can sort out the tax and 7 days insurance all at the time of purchase.