Photo
- - - - -

Tow Rope

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 LosingGrip

LosingGrip

Trooper

• Power Users
  • 932 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:52 PM

I've just picked up a tow rope from work for 25p, might come in handy one day...however heard that its now illegal for use a rope for towing...is this correct? I've had a quick google and can't see anything that stands out.

Thanks.

#2 rick_preston

rick_preston

Starting Out

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:21 PM

I work in a garage and we cant use a tow rope, we have to use a towing bar. We got told is is now illegal to use a rope but i'm unsure how true this is. i've got to admit it feels a dam lot safer on the end of a bar!

#3 LosingGrip

LosingGrip

Trooper

• Power Users
  • 932 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:58 PM

Heh...no wonder they where only 25p xD. I hated using the bar...let alone with a rope!

#4 Law_Grad

Law_Grad

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:04 PM

I have nothing to support it, but it’s worth bearing in mind that what you can do and with what materials & equipment, can vary depending upon whether you are at home or in the workplace.

If I was a gambling man, then I would be tempted to wager that whilst tow ropes might not be considered good form in the workplace, that doesn’t stop an average Joe from using one privately.

#5 brand b

brand b

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:53 AM

I'd go with the LawGrad response. What you use at work wll vary enormously form what you may use at home. As the principle of a tow rope is no different from a tow chain, and they are still used, can't see how they would have been 'banned'
As for a rope for 25p. You have to ask what is its condition?

#6 oddbod

oddbod

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:21 AM

Thats money for old rope.

#7 Rocket

Rocket

PoliceSpecials.COM Staff

• Moderators
  • 12,200 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:29 AM

I've just picked up a tow rope from work for 25p, might come in handy one day...however heard that its now illegal for use a rope for towing...is this correct? I've had a quick google and can't see anything that stands out.

Thanks.

25p for a tow rope? I am getting a whiff of profit there and think you should flog it! :prone:

I haven't seen any new laws regarding their use. Towing a car on a rope is OK as long as the person behind you keeps the rope tight to stop the snatch at junctions, that's not so easy to do if the towed car looses it's brakes!

#8 Mattylad36

Mattylad36

I'm new!

• Junior Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:45 AM

Last week I was in Sussex, and near Shoreham I saw a vehicle broken down on A main road, on the inside lane, 2 Response car's fending the breakdown off, and there was a car in front of the broken down car with a tow rope from the back leading to the front of the car. If this is illegal, how can the police be allowing it? 2 Police vehicles agreeing that they can use a tow rope which could be illegal. Alright, it was in a dangerous position i'll give you that. Your thoughts anyone? :prone:

Edited by Mattylad36, 31 August 2010 - 09:46 AM.

#9 LosingGrip

LosingGrip

Trooper

• Power Users
  • 932 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:42 AM

I'd go with the LawGrad response. What you use at work wll vary enormously form what you may use at home. As the principle of a tow rope is no different from a tow chain, and they are still used, can't see how they would have been 'banned'

I believe its http://shop.theaa.co...r/tow-rope]this one[/url], work seem to sell things cheaply sometimes...had car bulbs going for 6p not long ago!

25p for a tow rope? I am getting a whiff of profit there and think you should flog it! :(

I haven't seen any new laws regarding their use. Towing a car on a rope is OK as long as the person behind you keeps the rope tight to stop the snatch at junctions, that's not so easy to do if the towed car looses it's brakes!

haha...but with the postage...the profit wont be as high xD.

I have to say, I wouldn't like to use it, I got towed by the AA before with a metal bar and hated it! But you never know when it could come in handy.

#10 Obsidian_Eclipse

Obsidian_Eclipse

Supreme Poster

• Members
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:50 PM

I think in part this is due to a combination of two documents.

Reg100(3) (construction and use regs -1986)

"No motor vehicle or trailer shall be used for any purpose for which it is so unsuitable as to cause or be likely to cause danger or nuisance to any person in or on the vehicle or trailer or on a road."

and the highway code:

"In the event of a breakdown, be aware that towing a vehicle on a tow rope is potentially dangerous. You should consider professional recovery."

Although the highway code isnt law as such, it could give an officer reason to believe that a danger may be posed by use of a 'tow rope' - particularly if this way coupled with other evidence (poor braking in the towed vehicle and suchlike). Given no mention is made of a tow bar being potentially dangerous it could be viewed as a much safer alternative and less likely to make the driver subject to scrutiny.

#11 Bart S

Bart S

Veteran

• Excluded
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:22 PM

We use a nylon strap but then again, the car has usually been stuffed into the central reservation barrier, rendering it immobile. It gets dragged unceremoniously to the hard shoulder in front of everyone.

. :aok:

#12 rower

rower

Settling In

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:27 PM

Are you sure it isn't a case of advising that a tow rope isn't for long journeys? I used one a few years ago when I came across a stranded car in the outside lane of a roundabout, got the passenger to warn traffic behind that I was about to move the car.
RAC use a tow bar when recovering you.

#13 TallGuy

TallGuy

Supreme Poster

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:37 PM

It's is all to do with risk management. Nowhere have I found it is illegal, (prohibited in law), but I have found that various organisations advise against the use and prohibit their employees from using them through risk of injury or damage.

I got close to holding the record for the fastest towed vehicle around the Nurburg Ring after blowing a radiator hose. Coupled up to the back of Audi RS driven by a German Saloon car championship driver his method of keeping the rope tight was to accelerate. It all went well until we got to a tight right-hander and having no servo assist I over took him around the outside and thankfully the rope burnt through under his rear wheel. We then carried on with the two ends of the rope tied together and only 6 feet between us. I crossed the finish line with all four brakes on fire. Posted Image

It was all captured on film from the rear facing camera on the Audi. Apparently my signs for slow down were mistaken for speed up. Posted Image

#14 Damsel

Damsel

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 6,703 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:47 PM

<snip>
It was all captured on film from the rear facing camera on the Audi. Apparently my signs for slow down were mistaken for speed up. Posted Image

ok, I actually laughed out loud to that, though I'm sure it wasn't that funny at the time. :w00t:

:huh: :aok:

#15 brand b

brand b

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:57 AM

Last week I was in Sussex, and near Shoreham I saw a vehicle broken down on A main road, on the inside lane, 2 Response car's fending the breakdown off, and there was a car in front of the broken down car with a tow rope from the back leading to the front of the car. If this is illegal, how can the police be allowing it? 2 Police vehicles agreeing that they can use a tow rope which could be illegal. Alright, it was in a dangerous position i'll give you that. Your thoughts anyone? :p

No one has as yet said it is/was illegal so not a problem with what you saw. The legislation quoted (Dang condition) would need a fair bit more than just saying they were using a tow rope to prove the offence. As for the Highway Code. Towing has its own inherrant risks so the comments are about right. If both drivers know how to tow/be towed safely then it sems to have worked well for many years with very few headline incidents.