• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 hertsguy1989

hertsguy1989

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:05 PM

Just tested myself on the bleep test. Managed to get to level 6, bloody tired out though. Its level 5.4 we need to reach right? I'm glad i can manage level 6 without much training. I'm going to keep going running everyday though as i'd love to be able to reach maybe level 9. I'm thinking my issue is going to be the strength test! Should i just do press up once every other day ?

Will

#2 Paradox

Paradox

PS.com Logical Absurdity

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 8,124 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:07 PM

Yep, 5.4 is what you're after!

Press ups are a good way to go, also weight training if you have any around.

#3 plodder

plodder

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:08 PM

There is a great thread(somewhere!) about the push pull tests. Rowing machine or a seated row will be great for the pull. An explosive press up ie: with a good push at the top so your hands leave the floor would be a good training for the push

Edit for spelling

Edited by plodder, 28 August 2010 - 06:09 PM.

#4 hertsguy1989

hertsguy1989

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:10 PM

Well i have weights here but i think i only have 5kg ones. Not exactly heavy. Maybe a mix of the both and an increase of good protein. I think i may have been able to go further really on the bleep test. I have a bit of a chest infection coming on so my chest got rather sore at level 6. I honestly thought i wouldn't even reach level 4! I quit smoking a few weeks back so i was really worried at my VO2 max.

Edited by Bedsguy, 28 August 2010 - 06:11 PM.

#5 plodder

plodder

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:13 PM

Good news on the smoking lol. If your not currently training then any weights will be an advancement mate

#6 bedssgt

bedssgt

I'm new!

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:16 PM

The strength test really isn't that bad, you do not need a hugh amount of strength to do it. When I did my initial tests one female recruit did fail it, but everyone else sailed through. I can't remember the figures now, but you need to be able to push and pull, I think i'm right in saying pushups will only help with the push. Also with the bleep test. I actually found the warm up before it more difficult than the actual test. Incidently the bleeptest is different to the one used by most organisations as the distance is shorter, therefore the time between bleeps is also reduced.

Just tested myself on the bleep test. Managed to get to level 6, bloody tired out though. Its level 5.4 we need to reach right? I'm glad i can manage level 6 without much training. I'm going to keep going running everyday though as i'd love to be able to reach maybe level 9. I'm thinking my issue is going to be the strength test! Should i just do press up once every other day ?

Will

#7 hertsguy1989

hertsguy1989

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:26 PM

Thanks. Its been even harder for me as my whole family smokes and so do the majority of my friends. I knew though that i was not going to reach the required fitness level without quitting smoking first, commitment eh? I was planning on starting proper training on monday. A good session with the weights once every other day for a good 30 mins or so, shall increase my protein intake as well. I'll join the gym when i get back to university (We have a amazing gym! Used by 2012 athletes :huh: ) Thanks for the advice on which machines to use.

Well the bleep test sound track i downloaded was for 15m, so i'm guessing that it was right?

#8 plodder

plodder

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:41 PM

Oh... If you've access to a gym just bench press(free weights) try individual side bench presses too and if you've got a pec deck that can only help. Use the seated row which can be done on any cable machine. Sit on a gym ball to make it a bit harder and you'll Sailthrough lol. And liking the no smoking commitment with all that temptation lol

#9 Shaz26

Shaz26

L Plates

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:39 PM

Oh... If you've access to a gym just bench press(free weights) try individual side bench presses too and if you've got a pec deck that can only help. Use the seated row which can be done on any cable machine. Sit on a gym ball to make it a bit harder and you'll Sailthrough lol. And liking the no smoking commitment with all that temptation lol

Yep, it's the 15m test. When you reach 5.4 they'll run you all off the end of the track and move onto the next session so don't worry about trying to get up to 9 you won't get the chance - too much to fit in!!

#10 hertsguy1989

hertsguy1989

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:10 AM

Oh i didn't realise they run you all off after 5.4 - i was kinda hoping they'd let us go for as long as we could. Even so, i'm going to aim to get to level 10 in the next 3 months - i don't think thats too hard of a target. I just wish they'd hurry up and get my interview date sorted!!

#11 Paradox

Paradox

PS.com Logical Absurdity

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 8,124 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

Oh i didn't realise they run you all off after 5.4 - i was kinda hoping they'd let us go for as long as we could. Even so, i'm going to aim to get to level 10 in the next 3 months - i don't think thats too hard of a target. I just wish they'd hurry up and get my interview date sorted!!

They let us (over the border) carry on as far as we can go. I think I got to 9.7 before calling it quits.

#12 hertsguy1989

hertsguy1989

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:21 AM

Well at the moment i will be in no shape to get to level 9.7 hahaha - i get to level 6 easy enough but i still feel like death. Though, i called recruitment today to ask if i'll be given at least two weeks notice before my interview (i work at weekends so need to book time off) and got told that i wont be given one till at least october haha so i've got a fair few months left to train!!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users