Photo
- - - - -

Non payment of fines

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   randombobby

randombobby

Regular User

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:42 PM

Can anyone give a brief summary of what happens when you don't pay a court fine?

I've heard of people getting arrested for non-payment of fines over the radio but never dealth with personally.

What fines do these include? Can you get arrested for non-payment of a FPN?

Thanks

#2 OFFLINE   Random~name

Random~name

Experienced

• Members
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:19 AM

The answer in short is yes. Usually bench warrants are issued whereby you'd just take the arrested person to the next available court. Or they pay the fine. We once had one fromscotland where his father came in and paid his outstanding fine to us after contacting the Scottish force and them agreeing

#3 OFFLINE   pompeylad999

pompeylad999

Always Here

• Members
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:19 PM

As stated, a non payment of fine warrant will usually have a power of arrest attached, in order the person can be bought back before the court to work out how the fine is going to be paid back (or not as the case may be!)

#4 OFFLINE   Paradox

Paradox

PS.com Logical Absurdity

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 8,124 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:40 PM

We have just started up a warrant arrest team at my station in which we take the names/addresses etc. off of the system for all wanted people in our area and start doing door knocks for them. Most of them thus far have been for non-payment of fines.

We turn up, confirm their identity and arrest them for non-payment of fines. They are then taken to custody where they can pay off the fine in total if they so wish, then they are free to go. If they don't pay the fine then they are held in custody until the following day when they will appear in court for the offence.

#5 OFFLINE   Malik

Malik

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:35 AM

Hi,

I am due to complete a duty with the Revenue Protection Officers to deal with non-payment of fines and subsequent arrests.

I haven't done this type of duty before, so can someone please give me a summary of what "powers" I have by giving reference to specific Acts and sections?

This is so that I can give the suspects the reasons for arrest (although obvious to me but may not be to them) and also explain to the custody sgt about my reasons.

Thanks,

Malik

#6 OFFLINE   SkinSte

SkinSte

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 6,682 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:24 AM

The reason for arrest is that a warrant has been issued for their arrest. You don't need to worry about necessity criteria or explaining to the custody Sgt the reason for the arrest. Just make sure tha warrant is valid and the person you have is the person for whom the warrant has been issued!

#7 OFFLINE   Stumblebum

Stumblebum

Experienced

• Members
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:46 PM

The reason for arrest is that a warrant has been issued for their arrest. You don't need to worry about necessity criteria or explaining to the custody Sgt the reason for the arrest. Just make sure tha warrant is valid and the person you have is the person for whom the warrant has been issued!

This - and also to make sure that you endorse the back of the warrant after it has been executed.

#8 OFFLINE   Andrew IOM

Andrew IOM

Zero-ist

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 483 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:07 AM

As an aside to this, Warrants are an excellent "operation" for Specials to do. Find out your local top outstanding warrants and then a team of Specials can go out and try and find/arrest them.

#9 OFFLINE   Londonbased

Londonbased

Experienced

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:37 AM

Can anyone give a brief summary of what happens when you don't pay a court fine?

I've heard of people getting arrested for non-payment of fines over the radio but never dealth with personally.

What fines do these include? Can you get arrested for non-payment of a FPN?

Thanks

From my limited experience of non-payment of fines, I believe it's up to the court to set the ball rolling in these particular cases.
If a person fails to pay a fine then the court passes it on to their own enforcement team and a warrant for non payment of fines is eventually issued. The court may try contacting the non payer first and visit the last known address to see if they still live there.
The warrant may not always be an arrest warrant - sometimes the court just want police to ascertain the person's current address without arresting them so a further court date may be arranged. Otherwise it's a night in police custody and an appearance before the court the next day.
Warrants for non-payment of fines are often held at the court rather than the police station so may not be available for an officer to check.
This can cause problems when the court is closed as a custody sergeant would rightly consider giving bail in case the information held is out of date and the warrant may not exist anymore.
If a person fails to pay an FPN then the FPN is cancelled and a court summons is issued for the original offence whereby the person will face trial.

#10 OFFLINE   oddbod

oddbod

Very Experienced

• Members
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:14 PM

Your force should have a warrants database which you should have access to.
It will list all of the active warrants; some will be arrestable, some will require 'doorstep bail' usually back to the magistrates court that issued the warrant on a specific date.
For the ones arrested it's minimal paperwork.