• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 AJB

AJB

Student

• Power Users
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:07 AM

I rang Employee Resourcing the other day after not hearing anything from them after passing Medical and Fitness and was told that for reasons unknown Intake in September was cancelled. I thought I would post here and see if anyone knew anything about this in more detail. If this is true I am really gutted as If I had known this I could have applied to my Local force Gwent a month later and possibly been joining the specials by now. As well as this I really don't understand why they have bothered to get people through most of the stages to then just leave us hanging without telling us anything, because no doubt if I had not rang they would not have told me. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Alex

#2 mph

mph

Regular User

• Members
  • 623 posts
Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:06 AM

I rang Employee Resourcing the other day after not hearing anything from them after passing Medical and Fitness and was told that for reasons unknown Intake in September was cancelled. I thought I would post here and see if anyone knew anything about this in more detail. If this is true I am really gutted as If I had known this I could have applied to my Local force Gwent a month later and possibly been joining the specials by now. As well as this I really don't understand why they have bothered to get people through most of the stages to then just leave us hanging without telling us anything, because no doubt if I had not rang they would not have told me. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Alex

Did they say it was cancelled full stop or that they cant get you in during september and will be a later date?

#3 AJB

AJB

Student

• Power Users
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:13 AM

Did they say it was cancelled full stop or that they cant get you in during september and will be a later date?

The lady on the phone said it was cancelled full stop, and that there will be no more intakes any time soon unless the chief officers decide to run one again. 

#4 SCJake

SCJake

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:05 PM

The lady on the phone said it was cancelled full stop, and that there will be no more intakes any time soon unless the chief officers decide to run one again.

From what I have heard from the trainers they seem to be preparing for new intakes in September. One course in Swansea and then another one in Bridgend. SWP need to recruit 300 SC's in the next 2 years. I am not sayng I am more informed that the lady you spoke to but from what the trainers were saying last week it seems to all be going ahead.

#5 surf_the_waves

surf_the_waves

Student

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:11 PM

I hope this isn't true Posted Image

#6 AJB

AJB

Student

• Power Users
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:23 PM

Well to be honest Jake that is what I thought as that was the whole reason for doing the last recruitment drive as both Gwent and South Wales were in dire need of new specials. But I rang the Specials Recruitment Number and spoke to a Lady (Not going to mention names) but she is the lady who we were told to contact throughout each stage of the recruitment process if we had problems, so I assume she is some sort of manager or similar position. So would you suggest I get in contact with the recruitment team again and see if I can get a proper answer or just wait until someone who knows a bit more about this subject to post in these forums. 

Thanks Alex

#7 Frogman

Frogman

Experienced

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:37 PM

Bear with the staff at HQ guys.

There is a regular intake about to start and even some candidates on this intake have been bumped to a later date. It is happening throughout the force here for all constables and there is also uncertainty in many other forces.

Quite rightly your frustration is high on the whole scenario but rest asured that staff in HQ are just as probably just as anxious to get you all started. As you are aware, all forces are due a heavy budget cut in October and until information comes through on what to forcast for next years finance plan, SWP are very likely to be extremely cautious on what aspects of policing they are investing in until things become a little clearer on how much they are likely to lose out of their budget.

I know this doesn't help but i'm sure they wouldn't keep you hanging on for the sake of it. Chins up and hope you get some news soon :w00t:

#8 Hannah11

Hannah11

Student

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:51 AM

I hope this isn't true Posted Image

Me too :-(

#9 Ryback

Ryback

Learning Curve

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:57 AM

Bit of info:

just phoned recruitment... Western area still has an intake planned for september (my area which i asked about) there is a list of people split between training in swansea and bridgend

i believe they are making the western a priority because they are short on specials... It is only fair byt obviously
other areas are going to feel left out :blu:

so any luck people in my area are still on the planned intake.

I do apologise for my lack of grammer/spelling...typing this on an iphone is not easy :(

#10 timjinks

timjinks

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:06 PM

Any one got any more info on this? I spoke to recruitment earlier this week, the lad I spoke to wouldn't tell me anything other than 'we will keep you fully up to date on the situation via the post'

:D

#11 BingBing

BingBing

Getting There

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:46 PM

Nothing here. This won't bode well for my sanity if its true.

#12 Ryback

Ryback

Learning Curve

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:18 AM

what area are you located near? west? central?

#13 timjinks

timjinks

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:58 AM

Rhondda Valley.

Northern division.

#14 BingBing

BingBing

Getting There

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:30 PM

I don't understand why SWP would still be recruiting if this was true :rolleyes:

#15 Ryback

Ryback

Learning Curve

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:45 PM

If you look on their website its only west division still recruiting :)

#16 mph

mph

Regular User

• Members
  • 623 posts
Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:56 PM

If you look on their website its only west division still recruiting :)

Its probably not what you want to hear but i'd say its more a case that the intake has been pushed back instead of out right cancelled.
I'm sure its not nice but HR will be in touch soon enough with a plan/action

#17 Hannah11

Hannah11

Student

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:05 PM

Its probably not what you want to hear but i'd say its more a case that the intake has been pushed back instead of out right cancelled.
I'm sure its not nice but HR will be in touch soon enough with a plan/action

Lets hope so! Im sure we'll all get to train (at some point!!) and being a special is worth the wait (hopefully!!)

The way I look at it, our applications were accepted and processed a lot quicker than some other peoples on past intakes! Judging by other peoples waiting times, we should still be waiting to hear back from the paper sift, so at least now we're waiting knowing that we've done all the hard application-type stuff! Only drugs testing to go!! Yay!

#18 mph

mph

Regular User

• Members
  • 623 posts
Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:00 AM

Lets hope so! Im sure we'll all get to train (at some point!!) and being a special is worth the wait (hopefully!!)

The way I look at it, our applications were accepted and processed a lot quicker than some other peoples on past intakes! Judging by other peoples waiting times

mine went in about october 2008 and i started this year

#19 timjinks

timjinks

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:13 AM

Just spoke to a lady in recruitment who told me my intake was cancelled until they receive further info from the powers that be. Thought it was all too good to be true being rushed through the stages!!

#20 Frogman

Frogman

Experienced

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:11 PM

mine went in about october 2008 and i started this year

MPH, i notie on your sign off that you started in March and are being attested in November. Just out of interest, have they introduced more indepth training or have they just based your training over a long period of time which involves more midweek sessions?

#21 mph

mph

Regular User

• Members
  • 623 posts
Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:06 AM

MPH, i notie on your sign off that you started in March and are being attested in November. Just out of interest, have they introduced more indepth training or have they just based your training over a long period of time which involves more midweek sessions?

I can only base this on what I've heard about how training used to be but I think we get more. There's a lot of self study now as well where rather than turning up on a week night and having the trainers deliver to us we have to deliver to them and the rest of the class giving us a better understanding. A lot of the learning is put on us this way and having all the books i.e. Blackstone, PACE etc we can read through it all and expand/learn more than is expected. We also have our weekend training which we're expected to read about but have more of a group study where subjects can get complicated or messy i.e. assault, burglary etc

hope this answer you question

#22 Frogman

Frogman

Experienced

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:44 PM

Yes thanks mph, answered well. hings hav changed since my training but all good though. I'm all for home learning, i always found it interesting to read the pre-reads and you can go into class with a much better definition and clear up any small uncertainties you may have.

#23 Ryback

Ryback

Learning Curve

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:37 PM

But to sum up...

Basically intake isn't cancelled...

They did have drug test plans for august 12 but it might be later..for example my vetting has cleared fine but still waiting on one last reference!

Like i said tho i think it depends on the area in which you are placed!

Keep your heads up tho... Still way ahead of most which i thank the south wales recruiting team for!

#24 Eveleleigh

Eveleleigh

Student

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:23 PM

Keep your heads up tho... Still way ahead of most which i thank the south wales recruiting team for!

I second that!

Very surprised of how fast we all went through, just gotta wait Posted Image

#25 Hannah11

Hannah11

Student

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:00 PM

I got a letter over the weekend confirming whats been said on this topic over the last few weeks - that there is an intake for the west of the force thats fully subscribed for september, but my application will be kept on file!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users