14 replies to this topic

#1 abz2010

abz2010

I'm new!

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:40 PM

Hay every oneee

I new to the form, i have just rechived a letter inviting me to an interview for the the south yorkshire police cadets. And i wondring if you could answer me some questions :unsure:

Do south yorkshire police cadets get to wear PVC ?

Do they get radios ?

and do they go on patrole eg local events ?

Thanks

abz2010

PS- SORRY FGOR SPELLING MISTAKE'S

#2 Hyde

Hyde

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:00 PM

Why do you want to wear PVC? :unsure:

Posted Image

#3 abz2010

abz2010

I'm new!

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:27 PM

what to feel how heavy it is

Why do you want to wear PVC? :unsure:

Posted Image

#4 Hyde

Hyde

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:37 PM

Straight over the head.

I hope you find the answer to your question.

#5 French-A

French-A

Forum Fixture

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:54 PM

Straight over the head.

I hope you find the answer to your question.

Are you thinking like i'm thinking that maybe it should have been PPE and not PVC

although the wipe clean surface may come in handy sometimes

#6 Hyde

Hyde

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:30 PM

Are you thinking like i'm thinking that maybe it should have been PPE and not PVC

although the wipe clean surface may come in handy sometimes

For when they dribble milk down themselves, saves washing machine space :unsure:
Or maybe just trainers with weird pleasures..

I DID consider PPE, but then i thought it was too obvious and i thought a joke was (questionably) more appropriate.

In relation to the original question - I am 99.999r% certain that Cadets do not carry a baton, pava and handcuffs. For local events you may get a radio but judging from a post by another cadet, they had to shout for their superior as they didn't get one.

#7 MindTheGap

MindTheGap

GLEE Rocks

• Power Users
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 04:48 PM

Well I'm guessing No, no PPE (ASP, PAVA/CS, Cuffs/Stabbie) - Why would you need it? . I'm also guessing, No radios [excluding at events], and no, they don't patrol, they aren't PCSOs / PCs.

#8 Radman

Radman

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 5,347 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:06 PM

Well I'm guessing No, no PPE (ASP, PAVA/CS, Cuffs/Stabbie) - Why would you need it? . I'm also guessing, No radios [excluding at events], and no, they don't patrol, they aren't PCSOs / PCs.

I was a former SYP Cadet back in 2005 to 2007...

SYP Cadets back then had access to pool sets of body armour we also received SOME Airwave training and utilised the Pool ''Special'' airwave terminals, now things may well have changed by now.

The SYP Cadet scheme is one of, if not the best in England when it comes to the opportunities and experience it offers to young cadets, I wish you the best of luck as the two years I spent with them really did help me into eventually becoming a regular PC.

#9 12342hagsg

12342hagsg

L Plates

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:12 PM

I highly doubt you get any of that ! I am a cadet with MerPol and the only time we get to use the radios are when we are working on the front desk of the Police Station, and then when we do events we don't get Stabbies nor do we get Radios, unless you have organised it yourself and the Sgnt or Officer you have organized experience with finds a pool radio in the station for you to use. MerPol cadet scheme is rubbish and they aren't running it next year but i believe that SYP have a great scheme!

#10 Jon!

Jon!

Die Hard

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:20 PM

I highly doubt you get any of that ! I am a cadet with MerPol and the only time we get to use the radios are when we are working on the front desk of the Police Station, and then when we do events we don't get Stabbies nor do we get Radios, unless you have organised it yourself and the Sgnt or Officer you have organized experience with finds a pool radio in the station for you to use. MerPol cadet scheme is rubbish and they aren't running it next year but i believe that SYP have a great scheme!

The Cadet scheme will be running next year, although it may be changing (ie it may be centralised into one group). And please remember cadets from BCU to BCU differ so what you have experienced may be completely different to others who have been involved with lots of events etc.

#11 merpolcadetc3

merpolcadetc3

Settling In

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:58 PM

unless you have been trained you will not get radios for events or for any reason as theres not many just lying round the station.

#12 okeeg001

okeeg001

Forum Regular

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:24 AM

We in Sussex do have Cadet radios, not airwave.

#13 dlhw

dlhw

Starting Out

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:10 PM

according to the syp website uniform you get issued with is:

The Cadets are provided with a full uniform which comprises of:

• Black trousers
  • White shirt
  • Polo shirt
  • Tie
  • Hat
  • Fleece
  • Hi Viz coat
and will need to provide there own footwear.

You are trained on using radios according to the scheme information so you will have some access to radios, i would think that this will be a pool radio as specials have only just been issued there own.

#14 Owen

Owen

PS.com puppy dog

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:21 PM

I don't see a reason for cadets to have airwaves.. Maybe they could have there own, as George said with maybe a PC or Sgt having one of the radios so (s)he knows if they need help?

#15 okeeg001

okeeg001

Forum Regular

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:52 PM

Yeah, that's normally how things work. Cadets have a radio, call sign etc and who ever the OIC is has one. But normally a Cadet Sgt will be in charge of us. It's worked well like that for the 3 years I've been a cadet. There is no need for Cadets to have airwaves, the only example I can think of is an event where we're the only "police" cover.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users