53 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nics

nics

Student

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:48 PM

Hi All,
Could anybody please give me a definitive list of kit you get supplied as a Staffs Special Constable. I'm starting to put a 'few-quid' to one side to buy a few goodies if needed. I'd really appreciate some feedback, so I know what to budget for..

Cheers,

Nics.. :eek:

#2 OFFLINE   andrew1979

andrew1979

Training

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

Personal Issue:

1x 3/4 length hi vis police jacket (with detachable lining) - has 2 klick fast docks
1x long sleeved hi vis vest
1x pair of water proof trousers (very fashionable)
1x national police uniform fleece - 2 klick fast docks
2x black wicking short sleeved police tops
1x dark navy police trousers
1x Custodian helmet :eek:
1x tunic
1x black scratchy wool trousers
1x short sleeved white shirt
1x long sleeved white shirt
1x black clip on tie
1x nylon kit belt
1x leather handcuff holder
1x CS holder (Peter Jones type)
1x leather baton holder
1x set of fast straps (with holder)
1x first aid kit (with holder)
1x leather carbinara (key holder thing)
1x pair of rigid handcuffs (with key!)
1x ASP baton
1x leather warrant card holder (with badge)
1x leather PNB holder
1x leather FPN holder
4x pairs of embroidered sliders with SC and your collar number
2x pairs of epaulettes
2x sets of metal numbers (one set for tunic, other one is for epaulettes)
1x chemical card
1x earpiece (although you tend to get this at your station, not from Stores)

Pool Issue

Stab Vest (although most stations seem to be giving them out personal issue now, ours are)
Radio + Battery

Phew! Did I miss anything? :D

As a guide, the only things I'd spend money on are boots (get a comfy pair, don't need to be pricey - mine cost £40!), a good LED based torch with rechargeable batteries (essential if you're out at night), belt keepers (stops your kit belt falling down - very embarrassing) and a decent handcuff key (the supplied one is rubbish). The only bit of "tackleberry" kit I got was the Niton klick fast torch holder - I can write out forms without having to stick my torch in my mouth.... :D

Hi All,
Could anybody please give me a definitive list of kit you get supplied as a Staffs Special Constable. I'm starting to put a 'few-quid' to one side to buy a few goodies if needed. I'd really appreciate some feedback, so I know what to budget for..

Cheers,

Nics.. :D

Edited by andrew1979, 25 January 2010 - 08:25 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   -AJ

-AJ

Highly Experienced

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:37 PM

Well - I think you got everything!! Only bits I'd take issue with are:

1x leather baton holder - They are nylon! :eek:

4x pairs of embroidered sliders with SC and your collar number - These you will get during training not issued with your uniform :D

2x pairs of epaulettes
- We only get one pair. lol. Or our intake did anyway!

As for buying your own kit - Be aware that you can't buy your own PPE eg. baton holders batons, cuffs cuff holders etc otherwise you are not insured and you may be putting yourself or others at risk!

As Andrew has said, you need to get yourself some really comfy boots! When you're trying them on try and imagine 8 hours walking around town with only a half an hour sit down..and you'll get the idea of the level of comfort you need!

Other bits and bobs I've bought are a big pouch for carrying ticket books etc in - Otherwise you end up looking like the Michelin man! And then I bought a decent torch! That is all. You will not be required to buy anything more, and as I've also said replacing issued kit is a big no no

Edited by -AJ, 25 January 2010 - 08:40 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   andrew1979

andrew1979

Training

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:59 PM

Well - I think you got everything!! Only bits I'd take issue with are:

1x leather baton holder - They are nylon! :eek:

4x pairs of embroidered sliders with SC and your collar number - These you will get during training not issued with your uniform :D

2x pairs of epaulettes
- We only get one pair. lol. Or our intake did anyway!

As for buying your own kit - Be aware that you can't buy your own PPE eg. baton holders batons, cuffs cuff holders etc otherwise you are not insured and you may be putting yourself or others at risk!

As Andrew has said, you need to get yourself some really comfy boots! When you're trying them on try and imagine 8 hours walking around town with only a half an hour sit down..and you'll get the idea of the level of comfort you need!

Other bits and bobs I've bought are a big pouch for carrying ticket books etc in - Otherwise you end up looking like the Michelin man! And then I bought a decent torch! That is all. You will not be required to buy anything more, and as I've also said replacing issued kit is a big no no

Actually yes, the baton holder is cheap nylon (apart from the clip at the top) and has a bit of a dodgy clasp at the bottom which pops open when you start running. Nothing a bit of duck tape won't fix :D - at least everything else is pretty decent! I also forgot to mention the leather gloves you get, 1x pair of black leather slash resistant gloves. And you get 4 sliders and 2 epaulettes, not a pair of each - it's been a long day!

As -AJ mentioned, a pouch for your belt is useful to keep stuff in.

Edited by andrew1979, 25 January 2010 - 09:01 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   HALL OF STAFFS

HALL OF STAFFS

Student

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:59 PM

Hi there

Very informative thread. Thanks Nics for starting.

Where would you purchase the pouch, belt keepers, decent handcuff key and the torch clip from that you recommended? Or will we get a list of suppliers when we start training.

Cheers

Edited by HALL OF STAFFS, 26 January 2010 - 05:10 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   -AJ

-AJ

Highly Experienced

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:28 PM

Hi there

Where would you purchase the pouch, belt keepers, decent handcuff key and the torch clip from that you recommended? Or will we get a list of suppliers when we start training.

Cheers

Hi I use www.patrolstore.com and www.onestopcopshop.co.uk. I bought my torch from an online company called Torch Direct as they were by far the cheapest I could find.

#7 OFFLINE   andrew1979

andrew1979

Training

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:21 PM

Hi there

Cheers

I use Gladstones Boots for some kit (http://www.gladstoneboots.com/) and also use Niton (http://www.niton999.co.uk/) - bit pricey at times but good kit and they're always quick getting stuff to you and excellent customer service.

#8 OFFLINE   Burnsy2023

Burnsy2023

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:49 PM

It really does worry me that some forces are still doing pool stabbies.

#9 OFFLINE   nics

nics

Student

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:22 PM

Folks,

Thanks very much for the feedback now I know what to budget for. This site/forum is genius..

Also, to add to the joy I got an E-Mail today confirming I passed the interview :eek: What a result, I'm buzzing now!!!!

Thanks Again,

Nics

#10 OFFLINE   mitch1985

mitch1985

Student

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:19 PM

Folks,

Thanks very much for the feedback now I know what to budget for. This site/forum is genius..

Also, to add to the joy I got an E-Mail today confirming I passed the interview :eek: What a result, I'm buzzing now!!!!

Thanks Again,

Nics

Hey Nics...jus to let you know. IVE PASSED TOO!!! went on tuesday and got result friday (very quick) SO HAPPY!!! :D

#11 OFFLINE   andrew1979

andrew1979

Training

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:33 AM

Just looking at this thread, I realised I didn't mention what the women get. It's essentially the same kit but instead of the tie and custodian you get a cravate and a bowler hat. Technically female PCs should be wearing the custodian during public order situations (e.g. football etc), and I believe that the female regular officers get issued with one, but the specials don't (as far as I know!).

#12 OFFLINE   leachc2

leachc2

Learning Curve

• Members
  • 141 posts
Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:44 PM

pool vests- dont now how it is up north but in chase we get personal issue now, even though it the olb black stuff still

#13 OFFLINE   PFantasmes

PFantasmes

Student

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:49 AM

I understand that the Tunics are not being issued any more

#14 OFFLINE   Luke5

Luke5

Learning Curve

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:38 PM

Flat caps still issued with the custodian or not?

#15 OFFLINE   andrew1979

andrew1979

Training

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:40 PM

Flat caps only issued to regulars, not specials (unless you are S/Insp or more senior I believe)

Flat caps still issued with the custodian or not?

#16 OFFLINE   cooperman74

cooperman74

Learning Curve

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 06:34 PM

Like most people waiting training, I'm starting to look at what kit will be a valuable 'investment' once posted. So that I have a handle as to how many pennies I should accrue, comments on the following (especially from serving Officers) would be greatly appreciated.

Before I publish my provisional additional kit list, I just want to state that I'm not going to turn up at my first shift looking like Robocop / Tackleberry / 'all the gear - no idea'. I'd much rather do a few shifts with issue kit to see what's really neccessary!

1) Boots - Obviously need to buy. I'm looking at some cheap Magnums.
2) Better handcuff key - Is the issue one really that bad?
3) Handcuff key holder - will the issue one do the job if I get a larger swivel key?
4) Torch - do we get issued one at our station or should we get our own?
5) Torch belt holder & klick fast holder (to assist with night time literature).
6) Belt keepers.
7) Extra general purpose utility pouch for belt.
8) ASP end cap (with little finger recess to aid retention) - do Staffs ASP's get issued with this? Is it useful? Would we need permission to fix this to our issue ASP?
9) Tac vest - Would we need force permission to use one of these?
10) Kit bag - I believe all issued kit comes in a big brown box (not including a kit bag). I therefore assume we'll need to provide our own?
11) Radio ear piece - are the issue ones fit for purpose or is it simply down to personal preference?
12) A-Z guide of posted area?
13) Finally & being pedantic........ What colour ink should we use in our PNB's?

Edited by cooperman74, 12 February 2011 - 06:34 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   andrew1979

andrew1979

Training

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:57 PM

Like most people waiting training, I'm starting to look at what kit will be a valuable 'investment' once posted. So that I have a handle as to how many pennies I should accrue, comments on the following (especially from serving Officers) would be greatly appreciated.

Before I publish my provisional additional kit list, I just want to state that I'm not going to turn up at my first shift looking like Robocop / Tackleberry / 'all the gear - no idea'. I'd much rather do a few shifts with issue kit to see what's really neccessary!

1) Boots - Obviously need to buy. I'm looking at some cheap Magnums.
2) Better handcuff key - Is the issue one really that bad?
3) Handcuff key holder - will the issue one do the job if I get a larger swivel key?
4) Torch - do we get issued one at our station or should we get our own?
5) Torch belt holder & klick fast holder (to assist with night time literature).
6) Belt keepers.
7) Extra general purpose utility pouch for belt.
8) ASP end cap (with little finger recess to aid retention) - do Staffs ASP's get issued with this? Is it useful? Would we need permission to fix this to our issue ASP?
9) Tac vest - Would we need force permission to use one of these?
10) Kit bag - I believe all issued kit comes in a big brown box (not including a kit bag). I therefore assume we'll need to provide our own?
11) Radio ear piece - are the issue ones fit for purpose or is it simply down to personal preference?
12) A-Z guide of posted area?
13) Finally & being pedantic........ What colour ink should we use in our PNB's?

1 - Boots - Yep, Magnums are good, or any decent boot - steel toe-caps are optional, it's up to you if you can deal with the extra weight
2 - Handcuff Key - Yes it is pretty bad (imho), good to keep as a backup though
3 - Key holder - Key holder is basically a clip, so any keys with a keyring will attach happily to it
4 - Torch - You have to buy your own torch, I'd get a modern small LED based torch
5 - Torch Klick Fast holder - I suspect you saw this in an earlier post, I have one so I can attach it to my stabbie/fleece (very Tackleberry!), some officers have Pelibrite torches instead, useful for writing out tickets in the dark
6 - Belt Keepers - very useful, stops your belt falling down and keeps your kit in roughly the right place
7 - Extra pouch - also nicknamed a "proby pouch", can be useful for carrying documents, up to you
8 - Hindi cap - I'm assuming this is what you mean, all Staffs autolock batons have Hindi caps fitted - don't add anything to your baton that is non issue though
9 - Tac vests - not allowed to be worn by officers (regular or special) unless you have been assessed by occupational health as requiring one
10 - Kit bag - again up to you, a big holdall does the job and is cheaper. Besides you'll normally have a locker.
11 - Radio earpiece - you'll get one at your station, issued ones are good so no need to buy your own
12 - A-Z - very useful!
13 - Black ink only and remember your ELBOWS - no Erasures, no Leaves torn out, no Blank spaces, no Overwriting, no Writing between lines, all Statements in direct speech (you'll be introduced to your elbows during training!)

#18 OFFLINE   cooperman74

cooperman74

Learning Curve

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:34 AM

1 - Boots - Yep, Magnums are good, or any decent boot - steel toe-caps are optional, it's up to you if you can deal with the extra weight
2 - Handcuff Key - Yes it is pretty bad (imho), good to keep as a backup though
3 - Key holder - Key holder is basically a clip, so any keys with a keyring will attach happily to it
4 - Torch - You have to buy your own torch, I'd get a modern small LED based torch
5 - Torch Klick Fast holder - I suspect you saw this in an earlier post, I have one so I can attach it to my stabbie/fleece (very Tackleberry!), some officers have Pelibrite torches instead, useful for writing out tickets in the dark
6 - Belt Keepers - very useful, stops your belt falling down and keeps your kit in roughly the right place
7 - Extra pouch - also nicknamed a "proby pouch", can be useful for carrying documents, up to you
8 - Hindi cap - I'm assuming this is what you mean, all Staffs autolock batons have Hindi caps fitted - don't add anything to your baton that is non issue though
9 - Tac vests - not allowed to be worn by officers (regular or special) unless you have been assessed by occupational health as requiring one
10 - Kit bag - again up to you, a big holdall does the job and is cheaper. Besides you'll normally have a locker.
11 - Radio earpiece - you'll get one at your station, issued ones are good so no need to buy your own
12 - A-Z - very useful!
13 - Black ink only and remember your ELBOWS - no Erasures, no Leaves torn out, no Blank spaces, no Overwriting, no Writing between lines, all Statements in direct speech (you'll be introduced to your elbows during training!)

Cheers for feedback, that's great.
I think you've noticed I've been keeping an eye on previous useful kit recommendations. I'm just collating a list of bits of kit that will be a useful functional enhancement in addition to our issued kit. I'd best get some black pens bought then!

8) Hindi cap, yeah it was an end cap along the lines of a Hindi. I assume the one & only function of the Hindi is to keep the baton in your hand? It's good Staffs' issue us a baton with this cap. The one I'd seen (Patrolstore) had the same function as the Hindi but also had a little finger recess to aid with greater leverage / greater take down power. Looked a good bit of kit. My Dad only drew his 'truncheon' to properly strike someone once in 28 years, so I'm hoping i'm not going to have to use the baton much. The old truncheon was a bit of a chocolate fireguard though...

Yeah, ELBOWS & all the other flipping mneumonics that I'm trying to remember, I sincerely hope we don't have to remember them all!!! I see the logic & how they can help though.

#19 OFFLINE   Shikari

Shikari

Very Experienced

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

Hey,

Hopefully i'll be getting my uniform in a month or so, so I can provide an updated list then, seing as it's been a year since the last update.

I'm a student, and i'm trying to minimise my expenditure, to try to prevent debt, so essentially i'm poor. I need to work out what I equipment I need to buy and therefore how much I need to save up. So a couple of questions-

Will I need to take a holdall with me? I've seen a large, cheap one which will do me, but i'd rather save the money for as long as possible. Are we still given a box to store/carry our gear in?

Secondly, and this is more out of curiosity- how come the speedcuff holder is leather (smart) but the baton holder is nylon? Is it because of costs?

Anyway, I hope to be able to publish a new definitive list in a few weeks.

#20 OFFLINE   Nicked

Nicked

On My Way

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

Hey,

Hopefully i'll be getting my uniform in a month or so, so I can provide an updated list then, seing as it's been a year since the last update.

I'm a student, and i'm trying to minimise my expenditure, to try to prevent debt, so essentially i'm poor. I need to work out what I equipment I need to buy and therefore how much I need to save up. So a couple of questions-

Will I need to take a holdall with me? I've seen a large, cheap one which will do me, but i'd rather save the money for as long as possible. Are we still given a box to store/carry our gear in?

Secondly, and this is more out of curiosity- how come the speedcuff holder is leather (smart) but the baton holder is nylon? Is it because of costs?

It's exactly the same as it used to be except new specials no longer get issued tunics and we get a Monadnock baton not an ASP.
All you really need to buy is boots and a torch but the longer cuff keys are handy. I would't worry about a holdall yet unless you can't get a locker.
I was issued a leather one but most have nylon now, don't know why to be honest.

Posted Image

#21 OFFLINE   -AJ

-AJ

Highly Experienced

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:58 AM

Hey,

Worthwhile thing to buy is an elastic band. Put it around your baton under the loop on the pouch. Stops it sliding out when you run - Not that i speak from experience or anything :whistle:

#22 OFFLINE   -AJ

-AJ

Highly Experienced

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:58 AM

Hey,

Worthwhile thing to buy is an elastic band. Put it around your baton under the loop on the pouch. Stops it sliding out when you run - Not that i speak from experience or anything :whistle:

#23 OFFLINE   Shikari

Shikari

Very Experienced

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

Hey, just checking- are we given a boot allowance, and if so how much?

Thanks,

#24 OFFLINE   -AJ

-AJ

Highly Experienced

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

£30 avery 12 months I think? Don't quote me on it though/

#25 OFFLINE   Kilo Sierra

Kilo Sierra

Regular User

• Members
  • 956 posts
Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

£30 avery 12 months I think? Don't quote me on it though/

Really? i wasn't aware of this...next time in the station i'm going to check that out.

A labtop style bag is perfect for all your writting needs, as easy to carry around and also fits nicely in the carriers etc and if like i do, you keep your paper work in it, looks better when dealing with IPs. Some stations have these laying around, but sometimes you have to get more creative and buy one.

Given that SCs can be traffic one day, IMU the next and NPU a day after, our load out does change (why would you really want the FULL traffic paperwork packs for a NPU duty?), but if ever in doubt, as you will 90% be with a mate (100% if non-IPS and even then... :p ), share the load out. You take the S.27+Stop/search, they takes the VDRN/TPO etc...or get a light bag.

Many stations have the stabby NSA bags lying around, these are ideal for carrying your gear around, though if you are issued a locker :new_shhh: then that will be rare you need to move it, other than alittle mutual support/washing.

The reason i would have a seperate writing bag to gear bag is it is unlikely you need both and just makes it heavier, have 2 bags and can be more flexible and less cluttered.

The elastic band ideal does work and also serves as identification when in ref/locker rooms etc i don't have mind banded, but i do have a stupidly slack belt (now i lost some weight), so need so belt retainers-each to their own little issues eh.

A good use of elastic bands is to keep your pages in your PNB however, and if you have the PNB cover, helps keep your current pen with your PNB. This si also good for sticking any general order sheets etc or DL cards etc. to save you dropping it when getting the details down.

The hindi cap also allows the baton to roll around in circles, rather than just away from you. Given that it is a decent amount of metal, it is also great for window strikes or hammering nails in...probably :(

Enjoy,
J

Edited by -AJ, 23 March 2012 - 11:58 PM.
Removed tactical info...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users