• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Londonbased

Londonbased

My Life

• Members
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:01 PM

Can anyone please tell me the legality of the old style driving licence? (i.e. the ones without photo ID)
Are they still legit or was there a cut off period whereby drivers were expected to exchange them for a photo ID driving licence within a certain period of time?

The reason I ask is that there is a (rather pedantic) work colleague of mine who still has the old style licence and refuses to exchange it for a photo ID.
This old licence is registered at his mum's address (not his own) which I've pointed out is illegal for a start but notwithstanding this, is the old licence still valid?

#2 Terry K

Terry K

Learning Curve

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:08 PM

Can anyone please tell me the legality of the old style driving licence? (i.e. the ones without photo ID)
Are they still legit or was there a cut off period whereby drivers were expected to exchange them for a photo ID driving licence within a certain period of time?

The reason I ask is that there is a (rather pedantic) work colleague of mine who still has the old style licence and refuses to exchange it for a photo ID.
This old licence is registered at his mum's address (not his own) which I've pointed out is illegal for a start but notwithstanding this, is the old licence still valid?

Iy is valid untill the expiry date noted on the licence, and aslong as all the details are correct.
If he refuses to change it, then either report him or leave it. The decision is yours.

#3 Londonbased

Londonbased

My Life

• Members
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:13 PM

Iy is valid untill the expiry date noted on the licence, and aslong as all the details are correct.
If he refuses to change it, then either report him or leave it. The decision is yours.

Oh, I wouldn't report him. The man's an idiot but I wouldn't want hassle at work.
Regarding the point about the licence being valid until the expiry date.
Does having the wrong address on a licence invalidate it in any way?
I'm aware that it is a legal requirement to inform DVLA of a change of address but what statute / regulation has been breached by failing to do so?

#4 David

David

Ninja Pussycat :)

• Moderators
  • 31,540 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:19 PM

Oh, I wouldn't report him. The man's an idiot but I wouldn't want hassle at work.

Excuse me? Would you like to explain why? I have a paper-only style licence and I am an idiot because of it?

#5 Londonbased

Londonbased

My Life

• Members
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:21 PM

Excuse me? Would you like to explain why? I have a paper-only style licence and I am an idiot because of it?

It was a general sweeping statement.
The man IS an idiot. (It's got nothing to do with his driving licence.)
By rights he should exchange it because he does not reside at the address shown but he refuses to do so because he doesn't want the new photo ID licence he would be issued with.
That's an idiotic reason to keep the old licence.

Edited by Londonbased, 24 January 2010 - 04:47 PM.

#6 Aequitas

Aequitas

Getting There

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:24 PM

Regarding the point about the licence being valid until the expiry date.
I'm aware that it is a legal requirement to inform DVLA of a change of address but what statute / regulation has been breached by failing to do so?

Incorrect address doesn't invalidate your licence. Not sure where in law it falls under, however, it can be up to a £1000 pound fine. I believe Police typically instigate proceedings for it and not so much the DVLA, in METPOL we have a section in some of our FPN books to alert the DVLA.

Reread his post, he wasn't calling the chap an idiot because of that.

#7 David

David

Ninja Pussycat :)

• Moderators
  • 31,540 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:55 PM

Ah ok sorry, I misunderstood - thanks :eek:

#8 HazRat

HazRat

I'm clueless

• Members
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:20 PM

But he is in breach of MPS policy as your licence must show your registered address.

#9 Londonbased

Londonbased

My Life

• Members
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:50 PM

But he is in breach of MPS policy as your licence must show your registered address.

He is not a member of the MPS. I am a Special Constable and he is a work colleague from my day job but thank you for your comment. I was unaware of the MPS policy on this.

#10 JH99

JH99

I'm clueless

• Members
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:02 PM

my dad has the old paper licence and he IS an idiot

#11 5460

I Need A Life !!!

• Members
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:29 AM

Ah ok sorry, I misunderstood - thanks :eek:

We can call you an idiot if you need to vent though? It's a free service.... :D

Slightly back on topic, apparently if the log book address isn't your current address but is somewhere that you can be contactable (e.g. 'rents house) then that's not an offence.... Hmmmmm

#12 Paradox

Paradox

PS.com Logical Absurdity

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 8,124 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:38 PM

Ah ok sorry, I misunderstood - thanks :D

It just shows you're old. :eek:

#13 Bubba

Bubba

Policespecials.com Staff

• Moderators
  • 6,962 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:02 PM

The Licence is fine, as long as he can be contacted at that address, then no issues. If he tries to change the address, they will insist on a Photocard licence, which I believe he will have to pay a fee for.

#14 Frogman

Frogman

Old Sweat

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:58 PM

Why report him?...and for what?

It is a legal requirement to notify the DVLA of a change of address. This is usually followed by laws attained with the police force. Bob doesn't change his address on driving licence/V5, speeding fine comes in and letter is sent to old address which bob doesn't get for many months...failure to disclose driver of vehicle yadda yadda....

I believe Police typically instigate proceedings for it and not so much the DVLA, in METPOL we have a section in some of our FPN books to alert the DVLA.

Yep :eek:

MPS policy? What's that?

The Licence is fine, as long as he can be contacted at that address, then no issues. If he tries to change the address, they will insist on a Photocard licence, which I believe he will have to pay a fee for.

There is no fee for a change of address (that's including paper licence holders). You send your paper licence in with a change of address and you will have an invite to apply for a photocard (no fee). DVLA dont issue full paper licences anymore.

Let's face it, some people hate the new Photocard and prefer to keep their paper original. Fine by me. After all, having a photocard costs you £20 (current tarrif) to renew every 10 years. I personally wish i was never on the pilot scheme when these licences came out as a £20 demand has come my way already!

#15 gordon

gordon

I'm clueless

• Members
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:03 AM

My only complaint with the plastic driving licence is that they didn't go all the way and make it a valid photo ID for travel purposes when they first set them up. The whole of Europe has some form of photo ID that they can use instead of a passport for travel within the EU.

But the UK gave us a driving licence that must be renewed every 10 years and then brings out an ID Card that also must be renewed every 10 years, both of which we are required to pay for.

I have no problem with the ID Card itself but it should incorporate the Driving Licence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users