• 11,968 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 07:44 PM

PIR Test Yes
Home Visit No
Fitness Test No
Medical Yes
Assessment Centre No
Eyesight Requirement National Standards
Training An 8 week course, 2 days (evenings) a week and every single weekend for 8 weeks (with one weekend off). Then 10 weeks with tutor constable. Uniform at 10th week of training and attest at end of initial 12 weeks.

Other information

Specials uniform identical to regulars but with small SC+crown on epaulettes. Specials collar numbers start with a 6. Same kit (ASP, Kwik Cuffs, CS, etc.)

#2 Andy1973

Andy1973

Training

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 11:11 AM

Having just commenced training, thought it might be of interest to others thinking of joining to post a brief outline of the training process (no guarantees that it will be identical for everyone!)

Stage 1

2 Day Induction weekend.

Stage 2

1 Evening a week for 12 weeks covering:-

Radios
Crime Scenes
Powers of Arrest
S1 PACE
Statements
Public Order / Breach of the Peace
Harassment / Disposal of Alcohol
RTO's / FPN
Drink Driving
Theft / Criminal Damage
Drugs
PDP's / Warrant Cards

In addition during the Stage 2 process you will complete 3 Full days (Weekends) Officer Safety Training (For our intake this will be the Sundays of weeks 6, 8 and 11). Also 1 days training (the Saturday of week 11) on Airwave. The uniform is issued the Sunday of week 10.

Stage 3

Stage 3 comprises a 2 day full weekend role play assessment during which it is decided if you are suitable to progression to stage 4. Assuming you are you then have your attestation after that.

Stage 4

10 weeks accompanied patrol with tutor constable(s), minimum 40 hours.

Stage 5

Further 1 day role play assessment and review of PDP record, at which point you will be assessed for suitability for independent patrol. They can extend your stage 4 training at this stage.

You are eligible for the 'bounty' on completion of Stage 5.

In terms of medical, I only had to complete a form, didn't need to have it signed by a doctor or attend a medical, probably would have been different if I had revealed anything of interest.

In terms of kit issue, personal issue body armour and airwave.

Although it sounds quite restrictive they make it clear that the course is modular and will accommodate people where possible (there seem to be courses starting every month or two so the suggestion is you could always pick up the module next time).

Edited by Andy1973, 21 July 2004 - 04:10 PM.

#3 Andy1973

Andy1973

Training

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 04:10 PM

As a follow up to the last post, and as a word of warning to anyone about to start training, the powers that be are funny about you doing the three days OST training in stage 2 out of order. It may be necessary to delay that training until the next intake, which would have a knock on effect on start dates.

#4 Rich-Allen

Rich-Allen

Old Sweat

• Excluded
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:19 PM

Sounds good, shame I can't get over to Humberside from Sheffield, I'd really like to work in Grimsby having spent 2 years in the Town years ago as a student.

#5 shortman

shortman

Training

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:10 PM

Application form. Application form. with deadline, recive medical form at same time, do not send of until required.
Asessment centre. 1 hour writen exam, prceded with 20-30 minute senario based questions.
Vetting. Refernces, counter terrorism form (online form)
Medical form. to be compleated and signed by doctor, with deadline, humberside pay for medical form sign fee.
medical examinaton. Peak flow test, blood pressure, urine drugs test, eye test , hearing test (less than 1 hour duration)
next availible training space. (after vetting is finished) To be continued.

hope this helps anyone. i found it hard to find the humberside process online.

Edited by shortman, 26 November 2010 - 07:11 PM.

#6 shortman

shortman

Training

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:02 PM

Training: 15 week training period. intensive weekend once every two weeks. and two evenings every week.

This information is for the year 2011. it may change on yearly basis.

#7 Kewstu

Kewstu

Training

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:31 PM

Application form. Application form. with deadline, recive medical form at same time, do not send of until required.
Asessment centre. 1 hour writen exam, prceded with 20-30 minute senario based questions.
Vetting. Refernces, counter terrorism form (online form)
Medical form. to be compleated and signed by doctor, with deadline, humberside pay for medical form sign fee.
medical examinaton. Peak flow test, blood pressure, urine drugs test, eye test , hearing test (less than 1 hour duration)
next availible training space. (after vetting is finished) To be continued.

hope this helps anyone. i found it hard to find the humberside process online.

Is this still the process in 2011?

Cheers

#8 Prae

Prae

Always Here

• Power Users
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:55 PM

Everything is still the same except as of April 2011 the assessment centre is now the NPIA Specials Recruitment Assessment which consists of:-
  • A written exercise lasting 20 minutes
  • A situational judgment test lasting 75 minutes
  • A competency-based structured interview with 4 questions lasting 20 minutes in total.
To pass you need to score 55% or more overall.

You'll get full details of the assessment in the post before the assessment day.

Hope this helps. :aok:

Edited by Prae, 27 June 2011 - 08:59 PM.

#9 Andy-Burstwick

Andy-Burstwick

Training

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:32 PM

Everything is still the same except as of April 2011 the assessment centre is now the NPIA Specials Recruitment Assessment which consists of:-

• A competency-based structured interview with 4 questions lasting 20 minutes in total.

You'll get full details of the assessment in the post before the assessment day.

Hope this helps. :)

One slight edit. The time for the SJT is 65 minutes and not 75 as posted by Prae. :)

Edited by Andy-Burstwick, 28 June 2011 - 09:32 PM.

#10 Prae

Prae

Always Here

• Power Users
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:54 PM

One slight edit. The time for the SJT is 65 minutes and not 75 as posted by Prae. :)

You're right, but I copy & pasted that from the NPIA website. They've failed on effective communication!

#11 Kewstu

Kewstu

Training

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:24 AM

You're right, but I copy & pasted that from the NPIA website. They've failed on effective communication!

Is the SJT the PIRT test with a different name?

Sorry for all the questions :aok:

#12 Prae

Prae

Always Here

• Power Users
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:56 AM

No, the SJT is not the PIRT. It's basically a common sense test.

All info about the whole assessment can be found here: NPIA Specials Assessment - Information for candidates

:aok:

Edited by Prae, 29 June 2011 - 09:01 AM.

#13 clint_degrey

clint_degrey

Learning Curve

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:40 PM

Hey!

I have just sent an application in to be a Special at Humberside, as far as i know it has been recieved. Just wondering if anyone knows when I can expect a decision? whether its a yes or very firm no! (Just rough timescales)

Clint

Edited by clint_degrey, 23 August 2011 - 03:42 PM.

#14 Kewstu

Kewstu

Training

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:34 PM

Hey!

I have just sent an application in to be a Special at Humberside, as far as i know it has been recieved. Just wondering if anyone knows when I can expect a decision? whether its a yes or very firm no! (Just rough timescales)

Clint

Have a look at my signature for an idea of how long it takes.

#15 Mike.T

Mike.T

Student

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:02 PM

Hiya

55% seems quite a low pass mark, I thought it would be higher than this? I wonder what % of people pass at assessment centre stage?

Do you know if your spelling, grammar etc is marked in the written exercise or are they purely looking at the content?

Hope this helps. :whistle:

#16 Prae

Prae

Always Here

• Power Users
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:42 PM

55% is about average, it's between 50-60% for regular officers too, although there is more to their assessment centre like role plays. That's nationally. I've heard in the past 65% of candidates pass assessment centres but that's also for regular officers so I'd suggest that the figure for specials will be even higher because there's less to the assessment.

Spelling and grammar are marked on everything you write during the day except the rough paper you get to use during the written exercise.

;)

Edited by Prae, 31 October 2011 - 09:52 PM.

#17 Mike.T

Mike.T

Student

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:59 PM

Just goes to show how the tough the assessment centres must be if around half fail.

Hope it is ok to ask this - With regards to the written exercise how are you briefed? Do you watch a video, or get given a scenario to read, does someone verbally tell you the situation and can you make notes? Overall how tricky would you say this bit of the assessment was?

I really hope I can keep myself together on the day and not let my nerves effect me too much - really want to give it my best shot!

55% is about average, it's between 50-60% for regular officers too, although there is more to their assessment centre like role plays. That's nationally. I've heard in the past 65% of candidates pass assessment centres but that's also for regular officers so I'd suggest that the figure for specials will be even higher because there's less to the assessment.

Spelling and grammar are marked on everything you write during the day except the rough paper you get to use during the written exercise.

:pc:

#18 Dean Horton

Dean Horton

Training

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:14 PM

Hi,

Have you not received your information for candidates booklet?

I recieved mine with my letter stating what time I should get to the assessment centre. It states the written exercise will last for 20 minutes. We will get a briefing before the exercise. The exercise will consist us of writing up a proposal of some sort.

Cheers,
Dean.

#19 Mike.T

Mike.T

Student

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:53 PM

Hiya Dean

Yes I received the book, but I was trying to find out in what format (written, verbally, via video etc) we are briefed. I wasn't asking if we were briefed as I know we are.

How is your interview prep going mate?

Hi,

Have you not received your information for candidates booklet?

I recieved mine with my letter stating what time I should get to the assessment centre. It states the written exercise will last for 20 minutes. We will get a briefing before the exercise. The exercise will consist us of writing up a proposal of some sort.

Cheers,
Dean.

#20 Dean Horton

Dean Horton

Training

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:56 PM

Ah I see.

My prep I going ok I think.. :/

There's quite a lot to revise to be honest, it's easy saying be yourself and stay calm, but I think it's natural that everyone on the day will be nervous.

I've just been trying to practice some writing and my scenarios for the interview.

How are you finding your prep?

Cheers,
Dean. :pc:

Oh and I presume we have to read information, in relation to the scenario. :w00t:

#21 Dean Horton

Dean Horton

Training

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:19 PM

Hi,

Would you fail the assessment if you didn't finish the written exercise? I mean, are they looking for how much detail you can write in a short amount of time or is it purley write what you can in the time, and your grammar and punctuation is marked on what you have written?

Cheers.

#22 Prae

Prae

Always Here

• Power Users
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:29 PM

Hi,

Would you fail the assessment if you didn't finish the written exercise? I mean, are they looking for how much detail you can write in a short amount of time or is it purley write what you can in the time, and your grammar and punctuation is marked on what you have written?

Cheers.

You wouldn't fail purely for not completing the written exercise because you could make up those lost marks on other elements, remember you only need to score 55% overall.

The briefing for the written exercise is in written format, don't worry about it there's really no need to.

#23 Dean Horton

Dean Horton

Training

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:41 PM

You wouldn't fail purely for not completing the written exercise because you could make up those lost marks on other elements, remember you only need to score 55% overall.

The briefing for the written exercise is in written format, don't worry about it there's really no need to.

Thanks, I was just curious. I suppose the interview is the main element to focus on.

I'll just need to keep focused on the day, and hope for the best.

How's your training going, enjoying it? :unsure:

#24 Prae

Prae

Always Here

• Power Users
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:11 AM

It's very enjoyable, we're over halfway now.

#25 Dean Horton

Dean Horton

Training

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:09 PM

It's very enjoyable, we're over halfway now.

I'm glad your enjoying it, good luck with your police career. I may see you sometime soon if I pass the assessment centre, medical, and vetting.. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users