5 replies to this topic

#1 Radman

Radman

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:13 AM

Hey all.

First let me introduce myself, im 18 years old and work as a shop assistant in a small, family run news agents (not related to the family but considered a friend.) i've worked there ever since I left School at the age of 16. In that time i've done a fair few things, one of them was enrolling on a BTEC National Diploma course at one of my local colleges, which I now refer to (academically) as a mistake. The positives I got out of college was my friends and a huge boost to my social life, the negative being the lack of enthusiasm I had for the subject (Media...)

Previous to that however, just before leaving school I signed up to become a South Yorkshire Police Cadet, was accepted and since then have spent two and half years doing various volunteer duties around Rotherham and Sheffield, I thoroughly enjoyed my time as a Cadet and knew it was something I wanted to progress in. I applied to be a PCSO with South Yorkshire however I received a letter stating that due to a huge backlog of applicants it was unlikely mine would even be looked at.

A little gutted I spent some time researching other forces within my local area, I stumbled across the British Transport Police, gave the local lot a ring and organised a couple of 'observational' duties with them. Not much happened but I enjoyed the shifts and they offered me alot of good advise. if it wasn’t for them I’d probably wouldn’t be where I am today and gone to the next step.

I sent off an application form to be a PCSO in Leeds, didnt hear anything for months, that is until I recieved a letter stating I had passed the initial application shift and I was to attend an interview. Nervous I went down in a new suite, getting their I found out I was one of the youngest applicants, which didnt help with my nerves one bit hehe. I past all of the written tests they had set out and proceeded onto the interview.

This is where I thought i'd messed up... My usual confident self had (in my opinion) turned into mush... I left feeling a little disheartened and waited for the bad news...

It never came.. I received a phone call on friday the 13th stating i'd scored really well on the interview and im now progressing onto the next stages.

1. Medical
2. Fitness

So i've decided to write a diary of the coming weeks and (hopefully) my training down in Surrey (pending I pass the next stages.) My dream of working in the Police force is coming true, its no longer on the horizon, its at an arms leangth away...

Lets see what the coming weeks will bring..

#2 Radman

Radman

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:55 AM

My medical forms just came through the post this morning, a little worried because as a kid I used to suffer from various chest conditions, however I havant had any symptoms for years and was discharged.

Going to ring my Doctor and arrange a time for him to go over the various paperwork he has to sign. The actual Medical examination is now next Monday in Leeds.

#3 Radman

Radman

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:49 PM

Hello all,

Been awhile since i've updated my diary but I have two pieces of good news.

1. I passed the BTP medical fine.

2. I just got back from my fitness test in York, passed that fine with no problems.

What does this mean?

Well it looks like im in the running for the job, I cant wait... There was only a very small group of us today (4 in total) all great people and if we all pass and get the job it should be fun training and working with them.

Short update for now but i'll keep you all informed on what happens.

Cheers.

-Rad.

Edited by Radman, 10 August 2007 - 07:51 AM.

#4 Radman

Radman

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:31 AM

Well this is it...

Got a phone call this morning from BTP recruitment offering me a date of the 30th of september to start training down in Tadworth. Im really excited cant wait. Got to go for my uniform fitting on the 4th of September down in London, everything should be coming through the post within the next couple of days.

I cant believe its happening... Im so excited!

Edited by Radman, 23 August 2007 - 11:28 AM.

#5 Radman

Radman

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 11:40 AM

Quick update,

Contract and all the other bits and bobs came through the post yesterday morning, i've got ALOT to fill in hehe. I cant wait to get started but i've got around five weeks to go before I go down to Tadworth.

Went out with a few mates last night clubbing, had a great time. :whistle:

Looking forward to my training.

#6 Radman

Radman

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:51 PM

Just went down for my uniform fitting today, the guys I met seemed really friendly and im looking forward to my training (looked fat on my ID card photo though :whistle: )

It was an early morning, got into town then caught the 7:30 train to London, got there surprisingly quickly to be honest, had a nice stroll to Camden from the station and found the place relatively easily, really enjoyed the journey and experience.

One thing to say about London though... Its one big building site...

Edited by Radman, 04 September 2007 - 05:03 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users