8 replies to this topic

#1 Vince J

Vince J

Starting Out

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:34 AM

A little bit about me:

As you can see, I joined this forum back in 2005 when I was considering joining regulars, I had requested an application pack filled it out but had never bitten the bullet in getting it sent! I know, I know, what's that about? Well at the time there was a part of me that wanted to be part of something that I have always respected but I personally I didn't feel ready to take on something so potentially life changing, my confidence was knocked for 6 and I felt had I sent the application I wouldn't given to give 100% of myself.

So off I went, I changed my current job, met some nice people, got involved in charity fundrasing, started regularly running with a running club and went traveling for a little while.

The one thing I felt I let myself down on was not going to University, I had a place at Dundee to Study Law but sometime things happen in life where you have to change your plans, so I never went this was back in 2002, fast forward to 2006 when i decided to make the decision to change my career and course in life, I contacted the Open University and applyed for the Criminology and Psychological Studies Degree, so far so good! I'm currently studying on a part time basis so far so good, it's challenging, interesting and I love the people that I have met, I feel like a wee swot!

But something was still missing, I felt suffocated by my current job and I felt I wasn't getting the best out of my personality,I work in a very small office (I prefer to work with lots of people), I work at a desk all day (I prefer to be all over the place never knowing what's going to happen) Everyday is pretty much predictable (I like to do things pretty off the cuff). I basically like a bit of a challange and like to be kept interested.

Hang on a minute! Did I not want to join the police? Yes indeed! I do have a huge interest in law and order, and i felt what better than to join specials, I have an interest, I have the time, I want to do something worthy and character building.

So once again I requested an application form and this time I was hell bent on getting it sent in!

I'll see this application through this time! :whistle:

Edited by Vince J, 13 July 2007 - 11:35 AM.

#2 Vince J

Vince J

Starting Out

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:02 PM

12th June 2007

Called Lothian and Borders police or request an application form, I was told I would receive the form in a week. That's the first step taken!

22nd June 2007

I haven't received the application pack yet, so I call again and ask where it is, I'm told the recruitment team will be send me out another. The next few days is eagerly awaiting its arrival.

3rd July 2007

Appication is received! I take the form to work to photocopy so I can practice, best do this on the quite as I don't want my colleagues knowing that I'm applying just yet.

Being more of a typist it soon become apparent that my handwritting isn't what it used to be, I best take the ol' pen and paper and get practcing.

9th July 2007

Best get a move on, closing date for Specials is 20th of July!

I'm happy with the application now (I'm a bit of a perfectionist) and have sent everything off today, I have a nice little file made up with photocopies of my application and additional information sheet. I thought a little sweet covering letter would't do me any harm.... I guess my present line of work has taught me some good habits.

I call my dad today to let him know that I have finally sent it off, he wished me the best of luck and said that he was really proud of the choice that I have made, that made me smile big time for the rest of the day. Only my family know of my application, they have been SO supportive. :whistle:

13th July 2007

I'm officially on holiday or a fortnight as off today, so much to be done! New flat mate to me found, essay to be taken care off and preperation for the up and coming stages of the application process.

I know it's only 4 days since I sent the form, so I call the recruitment department to ask if my application would be considered for the September intake even though the cut off date is 20th July, turns out it is! The next serveral weeks are going to be intense! I can't wait.

#3 Vince J

Vince J

Starting Out

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:32 PM

17th July 2007

This holiday malarky is quite nice, I could get used to this quite easily... yeah.

Anyway, woke up this... um... afternoon *cough* to find that I have a letter advising of the next assessment day and familiarisation evening which is on 1st August. Not that long to go! yikes!

Since I tried to apply for regulars back in late 2005, I still have a lot of the books that I had used to revise for the assessments, like the verbal and numeric tests and a police recruitment book. I dug those out the cupboard and gave them a good old dusting off, I figured if I do a test a night that should fairly get me through the books and brush up my skills.

On Sunday I went to the Lothian and Borders Police Information centre on the High Street, I thought it would be a good place to source out some information. It wasn't exactly overflowing with info but that's OK, I managed to pick up a copy of the Chief Constable Annual Report which was published in June and I managed to have an interesting chat with a gentleman at the help desk which I have to say I found very useful. The one thing I didn't do was take the guys name :whistle: Silly me, anyway, like I said I picked up some very good info and i'm very grateful for that.

All is going well, and I'm taking each day as it comes, I'm crossing all fingers, toes and limbs in the hope that the application process is a speedy one and more importantly I do the best that I can at each stage.

Edited by Vince J, 18 July 2007 - 06:36 PM.

#4 Vince J

Vince J

Starting Out

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:24 PM

25th July 2007

My holiday has been cut short as I have been asked by a colleauge to cover her whist she takes leave because her gradfather passed away. It's a good thing that I did go away isn't?

So here I am at work, it's quite to day. I have the SET in 7 days and I have been practicing all afternoon. Maths and info handing skills are pretty damn good but I have to say I'm really concerned about the language side of the assessnt, which is kind of ironic because I'm a PA! :whistle: I guess I have a little more time to check over things while I'm at work.....the only thing I can do is keep practicing *sigh*

On top of that I have a Uni essay to do, because of my holiday I was going to pace myself through this week and have it done by tomorrow to send on Saturday, but that's not to be, my evenings are spent getting on with my essay and I feel like I've only just started it. :saint:

I can't wait until after next Wednesday!

#5 Vince J

Vince J

Starting Out

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:35 PM

30th July 2007

Two days to go!

2 days from now I should be at the assessment centre and writting away. I'm looking forward to it but my nerves are starting to appear! :whistle:

I've been practicing like a demon, i have a range of books to use and the How To Become CD-ROM which has proven very useful. I attempted the SET sample tests that were sent to me by Lothian and Borders and I have to say I found them OK.... I just have to read the question properly! I wish I could do a lot better at the language section but that will come in time with practice, I'm just glad I can make a pass for now.

I won't be back here until after Wednesday night, I have an work to get on with that's due in tomorrow!

Ciao!

Edited by Vince J, 30 July 2007 - 05:36 PM.

#6 Vince J

Vince J

Starting Out

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:20 PM

1st August 2007

Oh. My. Goodness!

I'm not quite sure about how I feel about the tests. I mean, I studied hard and did practice questions. I thought I would find the language section a little bit difficult but it turned out ok. I also thought the maths would be alright, in a geeky little way I actually enjoyed maths but um, I can't say I enjoyed that test at all. *shakes head* in fact I REALLY didn't like it.

I'm not sure I did as well as I could have, it wasn't what I expected. Its now kind of made me doubt myself a little. :whistle:

I really, really, hope and pray that I have passed but I'm feeling doubful. I'm convinced that I haven't now. I'll find out results tomorrow by phoning the recruitment department between 2 pm-4pm, failing that I can try on Friday.

One good thing though, there's a resit in September. January in take though.... tough as I'll be in the middle of a Pychology modual and staring a law modual in January. We'll see.

The familiarisation part was really informative and I enjoyed listening to the role and duty of a Special Constable. Very admirable indeed.

Should I pass the SET *crosses fingers* I need to call up about some additional information, I have a new flat mate and there was also an incident that happened several years ago, it involved me and a friend being suspected of taking money for a safe a work which quite a few people had access to. I never had any involvement, but I was questioned, I really can't remeber what else happened but I remember it being a horrible experince which resulted in me returning back to the police station to give a statement about my friend stealling money out the still...not once but on several occassions as well as stealing from the stock room, :saint: Dreadful, the whole situation was horrible. I never added it on the form but during the familiarisation it was clear that type information was needed. I was advised to send an email with all the details. I should be OK, I'm more concerned now that I didn't add it in the first place and it'l make me look bad than the actual story its self!

I'm heading off to bed now, it's been a long couple of days and I have an even longer one tomorrow, I have an evening tutorial to attend.

If I call recruitment tomorrow I'll be back here to say what the result is.

G'night!

#7 Vince J

Vince J

Starting Out

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:21 PM

2nd August 2007

:whistle:

I knew it, deep down I knew it. I did really well in Language getting (37/40) HUGE suprise there! Information handling was 20/24 which is good considering that I felt I mucked up section 3. Maths however was my big let down. I'm not even going to discuss what I got because I'm embarrased...... I'm just stunned I didn't pass it as I thought I would be OK, but some of the questions were over whelming and I panicked! Why?!?!?!

I'm gutted.

Apparently I'm one of eight who have failed :saint: I'm trying to tell myself I've done great in Language and Info handling but it's not making me feel any better. I feel like such a numpty. :lol:

I'm going to resit it though, it's in October not September as I was told. I'll get there eventually.

So now I'm sat a work with a face on and I can't tell anyone why because they don't know about my application. I can't wait to go home.

#8 Vince J

Vince J

Starting Out

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:29 PM

3rd August 2007

It's the day after the SET results. I was in the office all by myself today which gave me a little more time to think about things. I can't deny that I'm dissapointed with myself but at least I can take comfort in knowing that I did well in the other two sections of the course, especially language which I though was my weakest point. I'm not incapabile in doing these assesments, I had a blip which in retrospective could have been fixed prior to the examination, I felt a little bit to brave to take precautions. I'll know this before the next assessment. At least the second time I'll know the drill. :whistle:

From hereon I'm going to practice extra hard, and when October comes by I'm going to go in and kick some serious butt. This is just a minor set-back, it only highlights how keen I am to proceed with the application. May be it's a blessing? Towards the end of the year is going to be extremely hecktic, by January everything should be more settled and I can be more focused on Specials as opposed to uni which I expected to be a little bit more demanding come November.

So there you go. I know I have another chance, it's not like I have to wait 6 months to re-apply. Better to have a blip now than later. :saint:

#9 Vince J

Vince J

Starting Out

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:26 AM

6th August 2007

I called the Recruiting Officer today with regards to my new flat mate and her occupation. My flat mate is a co-licence holder of a bar but that doesn't concern me at all which is good but I still need to forward information since she moved in after I sent the application form.

I also advised the officer of the incident which I talked about in my entry on 1st August , I was told that security checks were being carried out and I should include my info ASAP, but I was confused as my understanding was that I have to do the re-sit in october and therefore (should I pass) the security checks would be done thereafter... as soon as I said my full name the recruitment officer knew me and mentioned the re-sit. Perhaps they're saving time and getting it done now in anticipation? *bites nails*

I will email the recruting Officer tommorrow.

Edited by Vince J, 07 August 2007 - 01:29 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users