• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lee_HP1

Lee_HP1

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 02:55 PM

I've read quite a few of the diaries here and thought I would give it a go myself.

Ok the story so far.............

I first became interested in the police around the age of 14. I was about to pick my GCSE courses so obviously you start thinking about careers in the future. When I turned 15 I discovered this site and therefore discovered the special constabluary, I had no idea what it was before! On here I met a forum member from Humberside Police specials, after some talking I was invited to go down to my local policing team and have a look around and a chat etc. At this point I decided the police was for me, it all seemed so exciting and I just wanted to be involved.

For the next year my only real involvement with the police was through this site. I then discovered an organisation called the Humberside Association of Neighbourhood Watch Groups who had begun a program to train volunteers to work in police stations. I had finished my GCSEs and began my A levels and was now 17 and a bit more mature and realised that the police wasnt just about driving round on blues chasing cars!

I applied for the course and was accepted, it was 8 weeks long but I gained an NVQ by the end of it. :lol: I did my observations at a local police station and was then plonked on the front desk of a local policing team at 17 having not much idea what to do to be quite honest! I was 17 fairly shy and not that confident and sometimes I was the only person in the station when members of the public came in!!!

I had to learn really fast and grow up alot as well, this was my first real experience in the working world and I had alot of challenges to cope with, some of them from people within the organisation.

However Im still there a year and a half later and I know loads more, have grown in confidence so much and learnt loads of skills. A few months ago I sent away for an application for the specials and filled it in.

Basically to cut a long story short I passed the papershift followed by a written competency based test and finally heard last week that I passed the interview! My medical questionnaire is now in with my GP waiting for his signature.

Hopefully I will get my training dates after that, sorry for the long post, I will keep you updated when I find out more. I have all my A2 exams next week so I have to sit in and revise! :whistle:

#2 goldie

goldie

Settling In

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:07 PM

I've read quite a few of the diaries here and thought I would give it a go myself.

Ok the story so far.............

I first became interested in the police around the age of 14. I was about to pick my GCSE courses so obviously you start thinking about careers in the future. When I turned 15 I discovered this site and therefore discovered the special constabluary, I had no idea what it was before! On here I met a forum member from Humberside Police specials, after some talking I was invited to go down to my local policing team and have a look around and a chat etc. At this point I decided the police was for me, it all seemed so exciting and I just wanted to be involved.

For the next year my only real involvement with the police was through this site. I then discovered an organisation called the Humberside Association of Neighbourhood Watch Groups who had begun a program to train volunteers to work in police stations. I had finished my GCSEs and began my A levels and was now 17 and a bit more mature and realised that the police wasnt just about driving round on blues chasing cars!

I applied for the course and was accepted, it was 8 weeks long but I gained an NVQ by the end of it. :lol: I did my observations at a local police station and was then plonked on the front desk of a local policing team at 17 having not much idea what to do to be quite honest! I was 17 fairly shy and not that confident and sometimes I was the only person in the station when members of the public came in!!!

I had to learn really fast and grow up alot as well, this was my first real experience in the working world and I had alot of challenges to cope with, some of them from people within the organisation.

However Im still there a year and a half later and I know loads more, have grown in confidence so much and learnt loads of skills. A few months ago I sent away for an application for the specials and filled it in.

Basically to cut a long story short I passed the papershift followed by a written competency based test and finally heard last week that I passed the interview! My medical questionnaire is now in with my GP waiting for his signature.

Hopefully I will get my training dates after that, sorry for the long post, I will keep you updated when I find out more. I have all my A2 exams next week so I have to sit in and revise! :whistle:

Just wondered why you weren't applying for the regs?

#3 Lee_HP1

Lee_HP1

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:30 PM

Although I believe Ive learnt alot in the past year my gut instinct is that if I applied for the regs I wouldnt get it, alot of people have asked me the same thing but I want to give the specials ago. I'm applying for a support staff job with Humberside also.

#4 Lee_HP1

Lee_HP1

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:04 PM

Nothing much has happened just a quick update that my GP has signed my medical questionnaire all OK :whistle: and I've sent it in. I know one of my referee's has sent in my reference so hopefully things will begin to move faster.

#5 Lee_HP1

Lee_HP1

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 12:50 PM

Again not much of an update! :whistle:

I received a letter this morning to say that I have a medical appointment with the the Nurse on the 29th. The letter doesnt really say much other than I will be asked to provide a urine sample for drug analysis.

I know that my referee's have sent my references off so they should have them now, therefore Im hoping as long as everything is ok in the medical my training dates will follow fairly quickly.

I have also got 2 applications in for support staff jobs with Humberside now but havent heard from them yet.

Does anyone from Humberside know when they will start asking where I would prefer to be based and what the medical involves?? (I dont mind people posting in my diary)

Edited by Mastereo007, 23 June 2007 - 12:50 PM.

#6 Lee_HP1

Lee_HP1

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:58 AM

Had my medical appointment today at Occupational Health. I found the hearing test a slightly weird experience the beeps were so quiet!!

Anyway they told me that they would let recruitment know they are happy with everything so hopefully things will get moving again! :whistle:

#7 Lee_HP1

Lee_HP1

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:51 PM

Just a quick update, I have a temporary job with Humberside for a month as a clerical assistant, still awaiting news from my full time applications as well as the specials! I have learnt to be patient with the police now :whistle:

Edited by Mastereo007, 05 July 2007 - 03:52 PM.

#8 Lee_HP1

Lee_HP1

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:24 PM

Well Im 2 weeks into my temp role as a Clerical Asst with Humberside, left college now, A level results next month! The temp job is ok, most people in the office are fantastic, good people to work with, the work is very easy but extremely boring so.....

Anyway I have received some news that Im just going through the vetting for my specials application, hopefully everything will be ready for the September intake! :whistle:

Also news on my full time support staff applications! I have being invited for interview for enquiry officer and also divisional intelligence assistant! Bit nervous about them!

Anyway I will be off on hols in August so hopefully I will have my specials training to look forward to on my return!

Anyone involved with Humberside that I dont know already on here, ie applying etc please PM me!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users