16 replies to this topic

#1 LY49

LY49

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:25 PM

Hi All,

As I have posted in some of my other messages, I have had a bit of a past working within the police service, so lets get up to date...

Roll back to the year 2000, a naive young prospective PC fails the group activity section of Northamptonshire Police's recruitment tests (I'm told that it is no longer in the recruitment process)

Feedback gives the old chestnut "Not enough life experience" However, they are more than happy to take me on as a Special...

After training and a brief spell based in Northampton, I get posted to Towcester.

Towcester was a fantastic place to work- large rural area, a bit of community policing, aspects of roads policing, a bit of public order. Made some fantastic friends, did my basic driving course, covered events like the British Grand Prix and Northampton Balloon Festival.

In the mean time, my paid job was going no-where fast. So mid 2003 I thought "stuff this, lets go join the regs" at the time Northants were not recruiting, so I applied to Thames Valley, where I lived.

And Waited

And Waited

Finally, about November 2003 I get dates through for interviews

Spend much of January and February 2004 driving up and down to Sulhampsted, where all the interviews/test were held.

Did some more waiting.

May 2004 get confirmation I am in! Get start date through as October 2004

October fly's round all too fast, off to Ryton I go.

3 months at Ryton was more of an experience than something I enjoyed- it was a case of get the job done, go home.

February 2005. Out of Ryton, one damp Friday morning no passing out parade, no certificate, just "clear your room by 10"

Thanks...

Onwards to Milton Keynes.

10 weeks of being tutored by a fantastic bobby- it would be inappropriate for me to name him on the forum, but if I see him again, I will buy him a pint (If he hasn't gone to Oz yet...) still policing in the "rural model" very laid back.

Then away to Sulhampsted to do stage 5. lots of charging about in PSU kit, followed by allot of really unnecessary theory, which bored most people.

Back to area.

Than the problems started...

Its a funny thing, looking back it was clear what was happening, however, when you are in the situation, you can't see it-

I was being bullied.

Again I can't go into details, as it would be wrong to do so, but various people on my shift decided I didn't fit in, and made my life difficult.

May 2005 I have a breakdown and have 3 weeks off with stress.

I go back, having tried to clear the air with people, Occupational Health and Welfare were fantastic, thanks guys

When I get back nothing has changed, if anything it has got worse.

People nicking paperwork out of my tray then me getting the blame for loosening it.

Kit going missing,

Complaints going in about my standard of dress.

October 2005 final straw- I get threatened with disciplinary for something that wasn't my fault- no one would tell me the likely outcome, the Fed were next to useless. I go home in hysterics, write my resignation the next day.

Don't get me wrong, I had some awesome times- I don't regret joining the regs- I am just sad how it ended.

Now, March 2006- happy in my paid job, I am missing policing.
I miss the community aspect, I miss the problem solving, I miss the interaction.
I DON'T miss the paperwork!!!

So now I look to rejoin the Specials.

With one issue...

I am Transgender- something which I had hidden for a years- you have to be happy with yourself before you can show that self to the world.

March 2006
Speak to Northants about rejoining, the chappie a speak to on the phone says he will send the bumph out to me, next thing I know is they are sending me a letter stating they are not processing my application further.
Waiting for feedback on this... Watch this space

Send email to Bedfordshire Police, explaining the situation, they are really helpful, and I have an information evening to go to in a fortnight or so.

Same Email to BTP- response similar to BedsPol, slightly more guarded though, would have to apply under my male name. (not a problem)

Well thats where I am now, who knows about the future- as soon as I do, I will let you know :whistle:

Susan

Edited by WPC_wannabe, 03 April 2006 - 03:31 PM.

#2 LY49

LY49

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:55 PM

Just a quick update, Northants HR are stating they are waiting for a email back from the County Commandant, about why they don't want me back... my only concern is whether it is somthingTHEY have a problem with, or a issue which will prevent me from joining any force...

on the up side, going to a Bedspol info evening on 27th April

Susan

#3 LY49

LY49

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:40 PM

Spoke to HR at Northants today, looks like i upset somone bigstyle, as they don't want me back full stop. On the up side, its nothing thats on my file so should not bar me from applying to BTP and Bedspol.

Now getting nervous about Thursday, as it will be the first time I have presented myself to a prospective employer as Susan, and not my male persona.

What to wear?!?!

#4 LY49

LY49

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 05:49 PM

quite a long time since I have posted- didn't mean to be this long... since I last wrote not much has happened. Never made it to Bedspol open day, have had a lot of problems with depression, and then to top it all off, I was told my job was under risk and Monday I am being re-interviewed for my own job...
On the up side- my long term partner has got a job as a PCSO - ironic realy...

#5 LY49

LY49

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:19 AM

Wow, 7 months since I last updated this...

Basicaly, because nothing much police related happened.

I kept my job, then got promoted and moved depot...

My better half has excelled as a PCSO, and become a bit of a media darling (Local TV, Paper, Radio)

I was recently contacted by BTP basicaly asking "are you still interested?"

I mailed them back as I had never realy had a satisfactory answer about how they would deal with my issues, and got this email back:

Hello Susan,

This is just to confirm the details I gave you via phone.

When you are applying as a Special we will need you to complete the form using your male details as you do not have a Gender Recognition Certificate. This is a legal requirement.

If successful in your application you can be known by your female name, present yourself as a woman and we will ensure that you are uniformed and equipped as a woman.

When you fill in your application form could you cc it to my colleague ********. This is so that she can follow it and ensure that no confusion arises from what may appear to be a conflict of details.

If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you

Diversity Trainer
Learning and Development

so, as soon as they tell me how they want the form returned, I'm putting in an aplication!

#6 LY49

LY49

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:58 AM

I have done it- Application form was emailed off 5 minutes ago- now we wait...

#7 LY49

LY49

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:49 AM

And the wait paid off- Email from BTP this morning, they are now processing my application!

#8 LY49

LY49

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:06 AM

16th June- Interview!

Yipeee!!!

#9 LY49

LY49

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:30 PM

Got all the extra paperwork for medical (wow that took some explaining!) and security checks

Got a new suit, new shoes.

Roll on a week Friday!!!!

#10 LY49

LY49

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 03:03 PM

Well, I did it!

This will be the third time I have gone through the interview process for the Police- so why was I so absolutely terrified?

Lots of the standard questions, if I said I would challenge inappropreate behaviour once, i said it a hundred times!

couple of good questions that made me really think;

What is your greatest achievement to date and why?

In one sentance, tell me why you want to join BTP?

And now we wait (again)!

#11 LY49

LY49

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:39 PM

Quick update-

I PASSED!!!

I'm not one for big outbursts of emotion, but;

WOO HOO!!!!

:whistle:

#12 LY49

LY49

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 05:41 PM

Had a phonecall from occupational health yesterday- Had a quick chat about my gender issues, however were more concerned that I have an old back injury from my TVP days- looks like I may have to go down to London to see them face to face. Slightly strange, as I expalined the issue and the provision of a tac vest or shoulder harness would sort it- I guess its standard procedure to see me though...

Hope it doesn't put me off the next intake (August/September)

Watch this space (again!)

#13 LY49

LY49

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:48 PM

Just a quick update;
Had medical on Friday (short notice as they only told me Wednesday!)
Standard things, Blood presure, sight and colour vison test- quick exam of back, got me to bend town, twist etc...
Apparantly I am fit and healthy- no problems!
Medical release form has gone back to OH, haven't heard anything back yet. spoken to my GP who has no issues with me being a special.

At this rate I may actualy do it!

#14 LY49

LY49

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:10 PM

Just when it was looking like everything was going to plan...

Had an appointment with my Consultant, and to cut a long story short, he is basicaly saying that even though I have gender identity issues, I am not transgender and they are not offering any further support/treatment.

This in itself isn't a huge problem, but I'm not sure how it places me with my application. :whistle:

#15 LY49

LY49

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:03 PM

It would appear that all the gender issues were a false alarm- shouldn't effect the application at all.

Passed the fitness test today, not as well as i had hoped, but its still a pass.

#16 LY49

LY49

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 04:37 PM

Vetting now cleared- all systems go!

#17 LY49

LY49

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:39 PM

well,
I should be being fitted for uniform today (now in fact).
Clearly I'm not there.

I had a real crisis this week. Looks like the day job is either going to be 45 miles north, or not there at all.

So the Special thing is on hold.

Also, I realised I can't do it as her. Perhaps I'm not strong enough, perhaps its not the right thing to do, I don't know.

So BTP aplication is withdrawn.

HOWEVER!
TVP application going in shortly. having spoken to various people, I will be made quite welcome there.

I have said it before and will say it again

"Watch this space folks!"

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users