• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   panda plodder

panda plodder

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 07:25 PM

I came across a reference to Greater Manchester Port Police on Police Oracle the other day. Obviously I suspect that they are long gone but does anyone know anything about this Force?

Edited by panda plodder, 08 August 2005 - 07:26 PM.

#2 OFFLINE   Spartacus

Spartacus

Forum Fixture

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 07:28 PM

EH!? Manchester is land locked!

#3 OFFLINE   panda plodder

panda plodder

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 07:51 PM

EH!? Manchester is land locked!

View Post

Trust a southerner! <Tut/>

SHIP CANAL (Runs from the otherside of Runcorn to Salford Quays) the Quays may now be part of Manchester Yuppie life but the ship canal is still used.

Manchester Ship Canal Company

Upper Reaches (Salford)
(Including Wigg Wharf, Partington Basin, Irlam Wharf, Irwelll Park Wharf, Weaste, Cerestar Wharf and other berths.

Wigg Wharf

Is available to handle vessels with maximum dimensions of length 100.57m beam 12.20m and draught 5.49m. (f.w)

Partington South

Has three berths fully equipped for the discharge and loading of bulk chemicals, LPG and products for Shell Chemicals, Montell and Nova Chemicals maximum dimensions of vessels using berths 2, 4 and 6 are length 161.54m beam 19.35m and draught 7.31m. (f.w.)

Partington North

Has a berth suitable for handling petroleum products and approved chemicals. Maximum dimension of vessels are the same as Partington South.

Irlam Wharf

Is suitable for all types of dry bulk, semi bulk and other general cargo. There is land available adjacent to the Wharf for development. Maximum size of vessel that can be accommodated is the same as Partington South.

Irwell Park Wharf

Is a berth which is operated under a non exclusive licence. It is equipped with mobile cranes for the loading/discharging of scrap metals and handling other bulk cargoes. The length of the berth is 335m long and can accommodate vessels up to 161.54m long 19.35m beam and 7.31m draught. (f.w.)

Cerestar Wharf

Is a privately owned berth and is used by Cerestar for the import of maize which goes straight into their mill. The length of the berth is 213m and can accommodate vessels up to 161.54m long 19.35m beam and 7.31m draught (f.w.).

Weaste Wharf

Is operated by Blue Circle Cement for the distribution of their cement products by road/water. The site is rail connected to bring the basic material to a purpose built warehousing and delivery facility. Vessels max dimensions are similar to the other berths in the area. There is other development land adjacent to Weaste Wharf.

Other Berths

There are other berths available at Manchester. One of these is No.3 dry dock where barges discharge grain for RHM. In view of the limited operations at Manchester it is advisable to contact the Port Director in the first instance.

Edited by panda plodder, 08 August 2005 - 07:53 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Spartacus

Spartacus

Forum Fixture

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:43 PM

:whistle:

I'm from Scotland... :lol: so you don't get more northern than that... but thanks for the info.

#5 OFFLINE   SC 8***

SC 8***

Student

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:41 PM

Many years ago I saw a Police van marked up as Manchester Ship Canal Company Port Police in the Runcorn area of Cheshire. This force is now long gone as a large portion of ship canal land was sold to build The Trafford Centre. A small amount of freight is still moved along the canal but not enough to justify a dedicated Police force.

#6 OFFLINE   panda plodder

panda plodder

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 09:13 PM

One thing I am curious about is if they still exsisted would they have any responsibility for the Salford Quays area? bearing in mind a Harbour Consatble has a mile and a half juristiction from Port Area (As the ship canal is rather long and would involve quite a few towns where it passes (Ellesmere Port/Runcorn/ Warrington/Irlam/Partington/Urmston/Trafford Park/ Salford Quays) they would have Police power).

#7 OFFLINE   panda plodder

panda plodder

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:55 AM

Simply put, I don't know.

However GMP do hold jurisdiction for that area, and to the best of my working knowledge, when the trustees of the Manchester Ship Canal Co. sold all the old docklands to create the Salford Quays area there was no longer a requirement for a separate force dedicated to Canal property.

Have a check in the police alamanac to see if they are listed.

The building where they were based is still there and used by the trustees of the canal.

View Post

I didn't think Peel Estates sold anything? (trying to buy land of them is like trying to get the ring off Smeagol!) I thought the Salford Quays land was sold leasehold?

#8 OFFLINE   1241

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:18 PM

I didn't think Peel Estates sold anything? (trying to buy land of them is like trying to get the ring off Smeagol!) I thought the Salford Quays land was sold leasehold?

Hi, I know I'm 7 years late on this thread! Manchester Ship Canal Constabulary was disbanded in 1982, I believe they had authority up to 1 mile from all Ship Canal property but don't know whether they had any responsibility for patrooling in land. The regeneration of Salford didn't really get going till the mid 80's and years after the disbanding so think not. Just outof interest Manchester Airport also had it's own police force which amalgamated into GMP in 1978.

#9 OFFLINE   Radman

Radman

Forum Fixture

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:45 PM

Hi, I know I'm 7 years late on this thread! Manchester Ship Canal Constabulary was disbanded in 1982, I believe they had authority up to 1 mile from all Ship Canal property but don't know whether they had any responsibility for patrooling in land. The regeneration of Salford didn't really get going till the mid 80's and years after the disbanding so think not. Just outof interest Manchester Airport also had it's own police force which amalgamated into GMP in 1978.

Alot of the airports did at one point or another... Or so i'm led to believe (Belfast still has an airport police.)

Would be an interesting job if you ask me, i'd love to be an airport bobby (for some odd reason. :D )

#10 OFFLINE   wanabe

wanabe

Experienced

• Members
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:48 PM

Wow is this some sort if record? A 7 year old post getting a bump!

Edited by wanabe, 28 March 2011 - 08:49 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   Radman

Radman

Forum Fixture

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

Wow is this some sort if record? A 7 year old post getting a bump!

Super necro!

2005 was the year I joined the website... Scary...

#12 OFFLINE   ninetyone

ninetyone

Experienced

• Members
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:57 PM

http://en.wikipedia....ip_Canal_Police
http://en.wikipedia...._Airport_Police
:aok:
Interested to hear 1982 as the disbandment date - where did you get this from out of interest?

All major airports had constabularies until the introduction of armed policing, at which point they were absorbed by the territorial forces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users