• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#26 Eggnog

Eggnog

Regular User

• Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:07 PM

Vaguely interesting that they have stilitoe tartan on their caps, as far as I know the PSNI have plain, "bottle green" caps with no tartan on. Only vaguely interesting.

#27 Forlorn Hope

Forlorn Hope

Old Timer

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

Vaguely interesting that they have stilitoe tartan on their caps, as far as I know the PSNI have plain, "bottle green" caps with no tartan on. Only vaguely interesting.

The airport police also have it, the RUC/PSNI don't with the exception of their baseball caps

#28 Eggnog

Eggnog

Regular User

• Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

The airport police also have it, the RUC/PSNI don't with the exception of their baseball caps

You learn something new everyday!

#29 Forlorn Hope

Forlorn Hope

Old Timer

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

I do wonder if it wasn't a conscious choice- mark them as something different from the RUC in an effort to lessen targeted attacks

Attached File  BIA.JPG   35.96KB   14 downloads

#30 Eggnog

Eggnog

Regular User

• Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

I do wonder if it wasn't a conscious choice- mark them as something different from the RUC in an effort to lessen targeted attacks

attachicon.gifBIA.JPG

Very possibly and that would seem like a quite a good choice to make. Alongside that these chaps are wearing black and white as opposed to dark green and white, another possible attempt to make clear that they aren't PSNI/RUC? I assume as with the docks police these people are armed too? On a side note that is quite a grand cap badge!

#31 Forlorn Hope

Forlorn Hope

Old Timer

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

I'm not sure if they're armed, they were at one point but I have read that they disarmed them a few ears back so I'm not 100%

worth noting when talking about the Belfast Harbour Police

http://www.policerol...arbour_roll.htm

Edward Ferguson Constable

Died 18 June 1978, aged 35

While off duty drinking in an unlicensed club on the Shankhill Road, Belfast, he was recognised as a member of the security forces by a Loyalist gunman who shot him in the back and killed him.

Edward was a prison officer before joining the Harbour Police and was recognised by one of his former inmates.

Edited by Isolated Incident, 08 January 2014 - 05:22 PM.

#32 Eggnog

Eggnog

Regular User

• Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

Ouch, I can't even begin to think how dangerous it is to be a Bobby over there. I've heard that if people find out where you live the PSNI will buy your house off of you immediately at market price so you can move ASAP. I'm not sure if that's true but I really wouldn't be surprised. Scary

#33 Forlorn Hope

Forlorn Hope

Old Timer

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

Ouch, I can't even begin to think how dangerous it is to be a Bobby over there. I've heard that if people find out where you live the PSNI will buy your house off of you immediately at market price so you can move ASAP. I'm not sure if that's true but I really wouldn't be surprised. Scary

it is I can't remember the name of the scheme but it wasn't uncommon for officers to have to move in the middle of the night

#34 MRF@1972

MRF@1972

On My Way

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

As far as I know they only have about 15 Constables. They are a very small force. Also very busy dealing with thefts etc.
They do rely on the PSNI for assistance. I also know the PSNI patrols the Odyssey entertainment complex in the Harbour estate.

I will see what else I can find out about BHC, a friend of mine works in the estate and use to know one of the Sergeants so I will ask him.

#35 Timetravel

Timetravel

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

Has anyone on here applied? I'm currently going through the process.

#36 I'm still here

I'm still here

On My Way

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:08 PM

it is I can't remember the name of the scheme but it wasn't uncommon for officers to have to move in the middle of the night

We still have the scheme, its called SPED, secure purchase of evacuated dwellings, or some such thing. The PSNI do not buy your house, the Northern Ireland Housing executive do. More than 50 officers a year are availing of this service, despite what mainstream press will tell you, we are being targetted, every single day, both on and off duty. They haven't gone away.

#37 MRF@1972

MRF@1972

On My Way

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

Is it mainly Republican groups forcing the officers to move?

#38 I'm still here

I'm still here

On My Way

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:43 PM

Is it mainly Republican groups forcing the officers to move?

Yes, but not always.

#39 dredd1981

dredd1981

Always Here

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:36 PM

I do like the BHP and BIA uniforms, the PSNI uniform is (to me) very bland, and the badge....ewww. A classic example of design by committee. I remember BHP recruiting a few years back but I was put off by the lack of pension they very generously offer potential recruits, not to mention the idea of paying for your training should you have the nerve to leave before you've done 4 years. Belfast international airport police would appeal but considering they are the only remaining private airport force left in the UK it is a safe assumption that you wouldn't get your 30..sorry...35 years out of it.

#40 Jeebs

Jeebs

Very Experienced

• Members
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:01 AM

The successful applicants of the Belfast Harbour Police campaign last year are going through GV with PSNI cops as we speak. They stick out like sore thumbs in their distinctly "English" uniforms.

#41 Radman

Radman

Forum Fixture

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:39 PM

The successful applicants of the Belfast Harbour Police campaign last year are going through GV with PSNI cops as we speak. They stick out like sore thumbs in their distinctly "English" uniforms.

If anything its the PSNI that stick out, Wales, England and Scotland all have very similar if not the same uniforms.

PSNI badge is one of the worst I've ever seen, it really is truly awful.

#42 Jeebs

Jeebs

Very Experienced

• Members
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:12 PM

If anything its the PSNI that stick out, Wales, England and Scotland all have very similar if not the same uniforms.

PSNI badge is one of the worst I've ever seen, it really is truly awful.

It's a badged designe to appease what can only be described as a divided society. It's has to represent two opposing cultures if you will, which is why it is how it is. The lack of a St. Edward Crown over it takes some getting used too.

BHP and BIAP are pretty distinctive in NI because of the Stiltoe Tartan. Police uniform in NI has always been green, the RUC wore dark green as did the RIC before that, it would be more of a shock for the PSNI to wear blue or black.

Edited by Jeebs, 25 September 2014 - 11:13 PM.

#43 dredd1981

dredd1981

Always Here

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:59 PM

It's a badged designe to appease what can only be described as a divided society. It's has to represent two opposing cultures if you will, which is why it is how it is. The lack of a St. Edward Crown over it takes some getting used too.

BHP and BIAP are pretty distinctive in NI because of the Stiltoe Tartan. Police uniform in NI has always been green, the RUC wore dark green as did the RIC before that, it would be more of a shock for the PSNI to wear blue or black.

Larne harbour police cruelly overlooked again. I've only ever seen one chap from LHP, seems to be the same uniform as BHP & BIAP except minus a gun. I remember reading some blurb about them in the constabulary gazette and I think there literally are only about 3-4 of them.

Larne_Harbour_Police__70218.JPG

#44 Radman

Radman

Forum Fixture

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:05 AM

Seems the idea behind the appeasing only went one way though in case of the PSNI, but that's another debate.

#45 dredd1981

dredd1981

Always Here

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:16 PM

I remember at the time the brief was that the badge should be completely neutral so about half a dozen designs were churned out (seemingly by infants given the design of them), here is  what was on offer. While the PSNI badge is bad, the alternatives were worse!  The original article plus some blurb is at    http://news.bbc.co.u...and/1664681.stm

_1664681_ruc_logos_300.gif

#46 I'm still here

I'm still here

On My Way

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:33 PM

It wouldn't matter what we had as a cap badge, People still throw stones at us :new_doh2: :new_doh2: :new_doh2:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: northern ireland, regulars

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users