• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Nelson

Nelson

Vice Admiral of the White

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:23 AM

Have to say the cops are pretty good! I'm also pinching the cops line at 9.48 for my own use.

Whats the difference between a Scottish Sovereign and a freeman?

Edited by Nelson, 18 November 2013 - 03:26 AM.

#2 beez28

beez28

Learning the Ropes

• Power Users
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

I'd never heard of these 'Scottish Sovereigns' until now, let alone been unlucky enough to meet one! 

Found out a wee bit more about them here - http://www.getoutofd...hp?f=53&t=57353 - where they appear to have a Billy Connolly lookalike telling us what they're all about. 

From what I can tell, their issue appears to be with the Scottish Courts/legal system in general, which they think is run by some sort of secret society. They've linked to a freeman video on that page, and from what I gather the Sovereigns are really just the equivalent of freemen but with a weird Scottish slant. I'm not 100% clued up on what it is exactly that freemen are about, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Never know, if their movement picks up pace, some of us could be appearing on their page! The cops in that video were fantastic. 

#3 E29NP

E29NP

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 8,266 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

I

Found out a wee bit more about them here - http://www.getoutofd...hp?f=53&t=57353 - where they appear to have a Billy Connolly lookalike telling us what they're all about. 

Does that page come with Google Translate?

#4 richr

richr

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

Obligatory rationalwiki link.

The 're-present' and law society spiel is classic FMOTL. 

#5 CmdKeen

CmdKeen

Conservative MP for Google

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

I have several friends who work for the Law Society - I'll have to let them know they control the Scottish legal system...

The main difference between them and Freemen is presumably the lack of reliance on common law given there is plenty of that in Scotland still!

#6 Stratos

Stratos

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

The main difference between them and Freemen is presumably the lack of reliance on common law given there is plenty of that in Scotland still!

That's the thing with Freemen. They'll apply their beliefs to entirely different legal systems, and then just change them to fit, removing bits that've become inconvenient and adding in entirely new bits. It all started in America and has moved around and been changed on a whim whenever necessary to suit changes in the law/location. It's all about how they can change reality to allow them to get out of paying for things (insurance, mortgages etc). Of course they'd never admit to just making it up as they go along, though, but that's what they do. And all for financial gain, usually.

It seems to me that there are too many people out there who think that all opinions are valid and to be respected. As one of the youtube comments says, "its great to see the viewing numbers and all the comments regardless if I agree with them or not". Unfortunately though facts have no regard for people's daft opinions, and you can't just spout any old nonsense and expect people to respect it. I once had a rant on Facebook about "alternative medicines" being available on the NHS, and happened to use astrology (as an example of another nonsense belief) to illustrate a point. Someone then butted in to say "Just because you don't believe in something doesn't mean it isn't true". I don't know if it's the education system that allows this rubbish thinking, but we're going wrong somewhere.  :new_doh2:

#7 richr

richr

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:36 PM

Ah, you're making the mistake of assuming the FOTL are talking about the same common law that we're talking about. What they refer to as common law is some sort of 'natural justice' with a smattering of legal terms.

#8 AmIObligedtoAnswerThat

AmIObligedtoAnswerThat

Starting Out

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:31 PM

Even alex jones has described fmotl as "imaginary quackery "

#9 Isolated Incident

Isolated Incident

Supreme Poster

• Members
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:32 PM

I want to see a Spanish or French maybe even a Caribbean nation video of freemen, because I think it'd last about 3 seconds I once saw a Caribbean police officer slap a tourist who was giving him lip, the guy informed the police officer he couldn't do it and received a second slap for his trouble

The officers in the video were great, I'm not great with Scottish law (or thick accents) but was he saying he was the procurator for an area of Scotland?

#10 Nelson

Nelson

Vice Admiral of the White

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:46 PM

I've never heard of what he said he was. No doubt some more legalese mumbo jumbo gibberish.

#11 Stratos

Stratos

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:10 PM

I didn't bother to watch the video, as it'd just annoy me and I know enough about these nutjobs already, but if he said he was a "procurator" I'd assume he meant to was a procurator fiscal, who are the public prosecutors in Scotland and their equivalent of the CPS.

If he did say that then it's an extraordinary claim, but no doubt just another small part of the rather complicated fantasies Freemen have. No doubt with some mental acrobatics involved to convince themselves that they actually do hold that position.

#12 themechanic

themechanic

Forum Convert

• Power Users
  • 457 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:27 PM

They took that rather well I thought!

#13 Shogy1

Shogy1

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

I didn't bother to watch the video, as it'd just annoy me and I know enough about these nutjobs already, but if he said he was a "procurator" I'd assume he meant to was a procurator fiscal, who are the public prosecutors in Scotland and their equivalent of the CPS.

If he did say that then it's an extraordinary claim, but no doubt just another small part of the rather complicated fantasies Freemen have. No doubt with some mental acrobatics involved to convince themselves that they actually do hold that position.

or he could have been joking with them of course..

#14 Stratos

Stratos

Die Hard

• Members
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:40 PM

or he could have been joking with them of course..

Might have been. Like I said I didn't bother watching the video, but what I said would be typical behaviour of your average Freeman.

#15 Isolated Incident

Isolated Incident

Supreme Poster

• Members
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

I might have misheard I will re-watch and put the time frame up

#16 FPO

FPO

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 478 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:03 PM

Great Bantur.

#17 matador

matador

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

The officers in the video were great, I'm not great with Scottish law (or thick accents) but was he saying he was the procurator for an area of Scotland?

He said he was "procurator in rem suam" and "party litigant". Basically saying he represents himself in court although I'm not sure the first term strictly means that.

#18 Isolated Incident

Isolated Incident

Supreme Poster

• Members
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

Thank you I just heard him say procurator and couldn't make out the rest

#19 TangoBravoVimto

TangoBravoVimto

Forum Obsessed!

• Members
  • 8,715 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:14 PM

I want to see a Spanish or French maybe even a Caribbean nation video of freemen, because I think it'd last about 3 seconds I once saw a Caribbean police officer slap a tourist who was giving him lip, the guy informed the police officer he couldn't do it and received a second slap for his trouble

I refer the honourable gentleman to an episode of "Costa Del street Crime" where a drunken aggrieved UK tourist made the mistake of telling a Spanish police officer that "Police in Britain wouldn't do that" to which the reply was "You are in Spain now" followed by Thwack!!

We may lack in some areas but we excel at international idiocy and moaning about our rights.

I still haven't come across one of these freemen/sovereign etc. Is there a particular hotbed of it anywhere?

Edited by TangoBravoVimto, 27 February 2014 - 02:16 PM.

2 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users