Photo
- - - - -

Lamping

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   OfficerMcBain

OfficerMcBain

Learning Curve

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

I'm been encountering a lot of individuals going "lamping" recently. For those who don't know, "lamping" is the use of a high powered lamp to shine into a rabbits eyes to cause it to freeze, so that a dog can be set upon it.

Strangely, I work in a inner city. I've never caught anyone at it, just found people late at night, carrying high powered lamps, and walking lurcher type dogs, sometimes wearing camouflage clothing. Often, when asked they simply admit that's what they intend to do.

So, here's the question : Any offences ? I've read the Night Poaching Acts, which don't appear to apply to these circumstances.

Anyone have any insight ?

#2 OFFLINE   Jordan694

Jordan694

Learning Curve

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

From what I can see, the hunting act 2004 governs hunting in the UK and was designed to outlaw things like fox hunting using dogs etc but has been subject to a lot of judicial interpretation and critique by MPs.

Schedule 1 details the exemptions which specifically mentions:

Rabbits

4The hunting of rabbits is exempt if it takes place on land—
(a)which belongs to the hunter, or

(b)which he has been given permission to use for the purpose by the occupier or, in the case of unoccupied land, by a person to whom it belongs.

So hunting on crown land/public spaces etc would be illegal!

~Jordan

Edited by Jordan694, 05 July 2012 - 12:44 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Burnsy2023

Burnsy2023

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

I'm been encountering a lot of individuals going "lamping" recently. For those who don't know, "lamping" is the use of a high powered lamp to shine into a rabbits eyes to cause it to freeze, so that a dog can be set upon it.

Lamping very often isn't related to dogs. I've used a high powered lamp and an air rifle before (with permission on a farmer's land of course), just FYI.

#4 OFFLINE   Rocket

Rocket

-

• Banned
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

Could be lampers, but if they have lurchers with slip-leads they could well be night coursers going after hares. We have had incidents of night coursers in our area lately.