Photo
- - - - -

Temporary Traffic lights stuck on Red.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   One

One

Getting There

• Power User
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:25 AM

Your travelling down a country lane when you come across some road works with temporary traffic lights. The traffic light has been on red for over 10 minutes. What do you do?

#2 OFFLINE   brnam

brnam

Very Experienced

• Members
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:56 AM

Make sure it's ok to proceed, make sure lights on if it's dark, proceed slowly and carefully. It's all about common sense.

#3 OFFLINE   Burnie

Burnie

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:32 AM

Temp lights normally have a contact number on them. As well as the above I'd let the traffic management company responsible know that the lights seem to be faulty

Edited by Burnie, 17 June 2012 - 06:33 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   wanabe

wanabe

Experienced

• Members
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:10 AM

Chances are if yours are on red then they have detected some sort of fault and the other light is also on red. As has been said above, proceed with caution.

#5 OFFLINE   TallGuy

TallGuy

Highly Experienced

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

As said, there should be a contact number on the control unit (big yellow box at base of signal) which if possible call before proceeding through as it is the safest place to do so. If you are job, then they might give you instructions on how to reset them. When it is clearly evident that the lights are not working then treat as 'caution' and be prepared to stop if anyone has the same idea coming the other way. If you have a torch, shine it at the top of the light unit as some appear to be light sensitive.

#6 OFFLINE   Derf

Derf

Experienced

• Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

while stuck on arm waving duty at a very busy cross roads in the rain for 2 hours once as the temp lights had failed and were waiting for the engineer to come out, on arrival he kindly showed us how to reset them next time it happened.
He got a nice 'on-call' fee, plus several hours of overtime, simply to press a reset button on the primary set of lights.

#7 OFFLINE   SimpleTater

SimpleTater

Getting There

• Banned
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

Your travelling down a country lane when you come across some road works with temporary traffic lights. The traffic light has been on red for over 10 minutes. What do you do?

Do you mean as a police officer or as a member of the public ? going through a temporary traffic light, stuck, or not is an offence for either the public or the police who are not rushing to a job

Edited by SimpleTater, 17 June 2012 - 10:21 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   Burnie

Burnie

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

Do you mean as a police officer or as a member of the public ? going through a temporary traffic light, stuck, or not is an offence for either the public or the police who are not rushing to a job

unles those lights are reasonably believed to be malfunctioning

#9 OFFLINE   SimpleTater

SimpleTater

Getting There

• Banned
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

unles those lights are reasonably believed to be malfunctioning

Is that a quote from the ROAD Traffic Act ? Or your interpretation

Edited by SimpleTater, 17 June 2012 - 10:30 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   wanabe

wanabe

Experienced

• Members
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:37 AM

So is it reasonable to be expected to sit at a red light for 2-3hrs and wait for it to be fixed??

#11 OFFLINE   SimpleTater

SimpleTater

Getting There

• Banned
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:44 AM

So is it reasonable to be expected to sit at a red light for 2-3hrs and wait for it to be fixed??

No of course not, But I was asking about the legal situation not reasonableness, the two are commonly not the same. The last time I looked into this I came to the conclusion that it was an offence, abet one with a possible defence. But of course I may well be wrong hence why I asked what the law said on the matter

#12 OFFLINE   TallGuy

TallGuy

Highly Experienced

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

No of course not, But I was asking about the legal situation not reasonableness, the two are commonly not the same. The last time I looked into this I came to the conclusion that it was an offence, abet one with a possible defence. But of course I may well be wrong hence why I asked what the law said on the matter

I am with you in that it is an RTA s.36 offence, full stop.

However in the public interest it would be unjust to proceed with any punitive action where a reasonable person would determine that the lights are not working and that in negotiating the obstruction to free passage that has been created, all reasonable steps had been taken to avoid risk to any party.

So Mr Sensible who phones the traffic light operator and then proceeds through the light slowly would not be processed for the offence, however Mr 'arry' Grant who sails through as if the light wasn't there, would.

#13 OFFLINE   Derf

Derf

Experienced

• Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:31 AM

I worry sometimes about people on here who seem to want to apply the letter of the law without applying common sense!

Why on earth are we ever afforded the option of using discretion??

#14 OFFLINE   * V *

* V *

• Banned
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:47 AM

If it's a Bank Holiday, just pray you've brought a good book or two with you... ;)

So Mr Sensible who phones the traffic light operator and then proceeds through the light slowly would not be processed for the offence...

Of course, if Mr Sensible has left the engine running whilst exiting the vehicle to check the lights for a phone number to call, he's also committed an offence - and if he then calls with the engine running, you can nab him again - cha-ching!! ;)

I feel sorry for the poor old codger that has no mobile - he can't proceed if he can't make a call according to some posters!

(For those forumites who have no sense of humour or irony, my tongue was planted firmly in my cheek when I wrote this)

Edited by Chewie, 17 June 2012 - 11:49 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   SimpleTater

SimpleTater

Getting There

• Banned
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:51 AM

I worry sometimes about people on here who seem to want to apply the letter of the law without applying common sense!

Why on earth are we ever afforded the option of using discretion??

I wasn't suggesting that they should be prosecuted, rather that if Mr sensible runs in to PC KEEN, instead of PC Reasonable then they could get an FPN and a '' tell it to the judge''

#16 OFFLINE   Tom72

Tom72

On My Way

• Members
  • 407 posts
Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

I wasn't suggesting that they should be prosecuted, rather that if Mr sensible runs in to PC KEEN, instead of PC Reasonable then they could get an FPN and a '' tell it to the judge''

And the Judge would probably laugh at PC Keen straight away

Edited by boodeny, 18 June 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   SimpleTater

SimpleTater

Getting There

• Banned
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:17 PM

And the Judge would probably laugh at PC Keen straight away

and on what point of law would PC keen be wrong in his issusing of a fpn

#18 OFFLINE   wanabe

wanabe

Experienced

• Members
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:20 PM

The law of common sense.

#19 OFFLINE   SimpleTater

SimpleTater

Getting There

• Banned
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

The law of common sense.

We seem to have gone full circle , is there a defence to a charge of contravening S36 RTA, based on the lights being defective ? Its a simple question

#20 OFFLINE   wanabe

wanabe

Experienced

• Members
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

Ok then do you think PC keen would sit at the lights for hours on end if he wasn't on a grade 1 waiting for them to change? If you are after a yes or no answer to the question is it an offence to drive through it then the answer is YES

#21 OFFLINE   brnam

brnam

Very Experienced

• Members
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

Ok then do you think PC keen would sit at the lights for hours on end if he wasn't on a grade 1 waiting for them to change? If you are after a yes or no answer to the question is it an offence to drive through it then the answer is YES

Police have exemptions from these laws. It's not a defence as they don't have to follow those particular laws whilst driving on emergency calls.

#22 OFFLINE   wanabe

wanabe

Experienced

• Members
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:15 PM

Police have exemptions from these laws. It's not a defence as they don't have to follow those particular laws whilst driving on emergency calls.

If he WASN'T on a graded call. He has to wait at lights like everybody else.

#23 OFFLINE   * V *

* V *

• Banned
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:16 PM

If you read the example again, you'll see that wanabe specifies the PC isn't responding to an emergency call...

#24 OFFLINE   Derf

Derf

Experienced

• Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

If this were the case, PC KEEN would also have run the red light in order for Mr.Sensible to run into him. would it not therefore be hypocritical for PC KEEN to issue an FPN. Also in the interest of parity, how could PC KEEN issue a ticket for an offence he has commited himself, he would therefore have to issue himself a ticket. PC KEEN would be incredibly stupid to do that, He'd also have to jump through all the hoops involved in a Polac.

Edited by Derf, 18 June 2012 - 07:20 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   SkinSte

SkinSte

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • 6,682 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

Police officers don't need to be "speeding to a call" to utilise exemptions.