• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 thomasshemmell

thomasshemmell

L Plates

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:56 AM

Saw it the other night, looks like an astra estate but I'm not sure, looks dead nice though! Anybody know what it is? Or even better, anyone been in it?! :p

#2 STFSPunto

STFSPunto

Starting Out

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

I saw a similar one driving through Burton, it was noticeable because the high viz markings were really bright compared to the ford pandas. However haven't seen it parked at the station yet.

#3 Nicked

Nicked

Forum Convert

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

We've got a couple up north, I think only Inspectors have got them at the moment (could be wrong) I somehow managed to get hold of a set of keys just before Christmas, because the ASB car was out. Prefer the 57 plate focus's though, don't feel as scared driving them!

#4 thomasshemmell

thomasshemmell

L Plates

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

I'll try and get a picture if I see it about, its a beaut!

#5 andrew1979

andrew1979

Settling In

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

The new contract is with Vauxhall so all new regular panda cars in Staffordshire will be Astra Estates (1.6 Diesels I believe). As someone said above I believe it's the Inspectors that are getting the new ones at the moment, but as older cars are retired they'll be replaced by the Astras. Not my favourite car in the world (I liked the old Focuses best, the newer ones were a bit gutless), but hey, might change my mind if I can a chance to drive it.

#6 -AJ

-AJ

Supreme Poster

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

Yep! new Style of cars, as Andy said.

Nicked from Staffs Police Facebook Page so all copyright to Staffordshire Police

Posted Image

#7 thomasshemmell

thomasshemmell

L Plates

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:00 AM

I think they're sexy! How long till they get battered though?

#8 thomasshemmell

thomasshemmell

L Plates

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

reckon they will outdo the focus?

Edited by thomasshemmell, 15 March 2012 - 09:19 AM.

#9 MindTheGap

MindTheGap

GLEE Rocks

• Power Users
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

I think they're sexy! How long till they get battered though?

Looks - fine.

Function - got a griffin on the badge?! Canteen will be popular!

#10 andrew1979

andrew1979

Settling In

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

A 1.6 Astra will probably be a little quicker than a 1.6 Focus (the Focus is quite heavy), however the Focus trumps the Astra in the corners. Understeer ahoy! Posted Image

reckon they will outdo the focus?

#11 thomasshemmell

thomasshemmell

L Plates

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

Is it just me in thinking they could have chose a better lightbar though? The one in the picture kind of kills it, like a really sexy woman.. with a tooth missing

#12 MindTheGap

MindTheGap

GLEE Rocks

• Power Users
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:05 PM

Is it just me in thinking they could have chose a better lightbar though? The one in the picture kind of kills it, like a really sexy woman.. with a tooth missing

Recycling. But function over style.

Edited by MikeBrum, 15 March 2012 - 09:08 PM.

#13 -AJ

-AJ

Supreme Poster

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

It'll look much nicer with the new lightbars. BUt they will keep recycling the old ones until they break. As they are expensive kit!

Posted Image

#14 thomasshemmell

thomasshemmell

L Plates

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

So I take it a new one will replace a focus whenever one packs in? Or will they be phased out over the next few months/year

#15 mrmotivator

mrmotivator

Starting Out

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

I dunno how it's working in South of the county, but in Stoke-on-Trent.....the Focus's are currently being replaced by the Vauxhall Insignia, from what I've seen anyway.

They look pretty slick too.

I dunno how it's working in South of the county, but in Stoke-on-Trent.....the Focus's are currently being replaced by the Vauxhall Insignia, from what I've seen anyway.

Although, I could have got that wrong, it might just be advanced cars that are being replaced by Insignia's.

#16 -AJ

-AJ

Supreme Poster

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:54 PM

So I take it a new one will replace a focus whenever one packs in? Or will they be phased out over the next few months/year

They'll be replaced when they come to the end of their service life which I believe is based on milage.

Although, I could have got that wrong, it might just be advanced cars that are being replaced by Insignia's.

It is the advanced cars that are Insignias. Vauxhall have the National Police contract. the standard panda is the Astra.

#17 Adam

Adam

L Plates

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

The current batch of Vauxhall Astra's currently being rolled out across the county are 1.3 diesel models, where as the Ford Focus were 1.6. Most of the Astra's seem to be up north with Longton having the most from what I have seen. The BB markings are different as Staffs have gone in with Warwickshire, West Mercia & West Mids for a combined livery supplier. I much prefer the old style.

Most response vehicles have a life span of around 5 or 6 years, whereby advanced vehicles 2 to 3, exceptions being carriers and driver training vehicles lasting longer in service. Vehicles having a dedicated use by NPU's don't cover as many miles as an IMU vehicle so they tend to be the last replaced. I think Watling, Wombourne has the fastest turn around with vehicles as they cover the most mileage.

#18 -AJ

-AJ

Supreme Poster

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:26 AM

The current batch of Vauxhall Astra's currently being rolled out across the county are 1.3 diesel models, where as the Ford Focus were 1.6. Most of the Astra's seem to be up north with Longton having the most from what I have seen. The BB markings are different as Staffs have gone in with Warwickshire, West Mercia & West Mids for a combined livery supplier. I much prefer the old style.

Most response vehicles have a life span of around 5 or 6 years, whereby advanced vehicles 2 to 3, exceptions being carriers and driver training vehicles lasting longer in service. Vehicles having a dedicated use by NPU's don't cover as many miles as an IMU vehicle so they tend to be the last replaced. I think Watling, Wombourne has the fastest turn around with vehicles as they cover the most mileage.

And I thought the 1.6s were sluggish...Oh well..lets think of the environment eh :lol: Yeah the old BB was nicer - darker yellow and such. But hey it makes sense to have cars that look more the same. National Vehicle and all..

And PLEASE tell me they've taken the time to wire the headlights in a wigwag style, rather than both flashing together which isn't as attention grabbing on the new Astras. As i believe vauxhalls have separately wired headlights and as such can be easily converted..

#19 MindTheGap

MindTheGap

GLEE Rocks

• Power Users
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

I'm of the understanding West Mids aren't in on this procurement agreement, solely because Staffordshire appear to have made them look acceptable!

#20 thomasshemmell

thomasshemmell

L Plates

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:23 AM

Just seen one, they're getting more common around tamworth, there was two parked up by the new mcdonalds in wilnecote yesterday. Traffic there is a nightmare

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users