• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:32 PM

Im looking to get a Border Collie male pup, ideally black and white. If anyone knows of any available or can suggest a breeder who may be able to point me in a direction of someone reputable and trustworthy, that'd be great.

Ideally in Norfolk/Suffolk/Cambs/Lincs but any suggestions welcomed!

#2 cfnbryn

cfnbryn

Damsel's Pet Welshman

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:25 PM

Good place to try is www.epupz.co.uk

If you sign up, and look at the ads older than 7 days then you can get contact info for free ;) That is how we found our adorable little westie pup. It says when they should be ready for buying as well, with photos :confused:

#3 Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:12 AM

Cheers mate... I have signed up on there but I'm finding very few locally and even fewer still which seem entirely legit (I'd hate to end up accidentally getting one from a puppy farm or similar)

Unfortunately there's only so far you can travel based on a photo on the net, I thought someone on here may be able to recommend a breeder by name from experience.

Did you get yours from a breeder or a private sale out of interest..?

#4 Derf

Derf

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:09 AM

With border collies if you want one for a pet get it from a breeder not a farmer.

One's bred on farms are working dogs and VERY tempremental. One's from Breeders are the most loyal pet you'll ever have.
There used to be a breeder in Basildon, (a quick Google search shows the pedigree name of LUTAY) she's absolutely barking mad, but breeds lovely dogs.

If you fancy travelling a bit further, My (late) very loyal companion of 14 1/2 years came from here;

http://www.mobella.m...rdercollies.htm

('Glory' was his Aunt)

Edited by Derf, 26 January 2012 - 09:13 AM.

#5 Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

Thanks Derf - ideally I'd like to get one from a breeder, I'm just always wary of people online and these puppy farms still seem to be quite common. I've enquiried at a few working farms but as you say they will be working dogs and thus very high maintenance.

Thanks for the link, I had a look and seems the lady has retired from breeding Collies which is a shame! Back to the drawing board!

#6 cfnbryn

cfnbryn

Damsel's Pet Welshman

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

Cheers mate... I have signed up on there but I'm finding very few locally and even fewer still which seem entirely legit (I'd hate to end up accidentally getting one from a puppy farm or similar)

Unfortunately there's only so far you can travel based on a photo on the net, I thought someone on here may be able to recommend a breeder by name from experience.

Did you get yours from a breeder or a private sale out of interest..?

I got my little Westie from a Breeder who lived on a large country farm, we were able to check the condition of the parents, grandparents etc, and saw their living conditions, took a tour of the farm and house, whilst all the puppies followed us like sheep. ;) They also had lots of horses, I dont like horses.

Edited by cfnbryn, 26 January 2012 - 01:14 PM.

#7 Derf

Derf

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

They also had lots of horses, I dont like horses.

Yeah... not that easy to house train

#8 Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

Yeah... not that easy to house train

Always handy to have around when you really feel like you could eat a horse though.

#9 Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes

Forum Obsessed!

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

Well i've reserved one in Lincolnshire for viewing on the 12th... Hopefully all will work out well. Just need a name... over to the Locker Room I think!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users