• Please log in to reply
309 replies to this topic

#51 Mikester

Mikester

Settling In

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:19 PM

Hi guys, New member here, I've enjoyed getting some intel and reading your responses. I too applied for SC before Christmas and have been offered a place at the assessment centre on the 14th Feb. See you there Rich! Will any mods/admin/staff from this forum be on the assessment panel?

#52 Divisional Officer

Divisional Officer

Starting Out

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:12 PM

Hi everyone,

I have read through a number of these posts but I can't see if anyone has answered my question already, so here goes. I'm in the training process for Humberside police and currently enjoying it too, I want to transfer to Staffs after my intial training. I should attest around the 28th March and may be moving back to Staffs in the first week of August, this then giving me 3 and a bit months of experience with Humberside. Before I applied to Humberside they told me that if were successful I could potentially transfer to Staffs aslong as I had passed everything and attested, if I hadn't I would have to start the process again... they also said it would be entirly down to Staffordshire Police. Has anyone got any advice on the matter? I have heard that Staffs arn't actually accepting Specials at the minute and I can't find a contact email/number for HR.

Any help/advice would be appreciated guys.

Clint

Speak to TINA WILLIAMS in the Recruiting Dept. I'm not sure if we have a transfer policy with Humberside but she will know. If you are a serving Special you will be assessed by Staffs and then asked to resign from Humberside. We will ask them to forward your Interview and Assessment data and take it from there. Staffs will bring you up to speed to our areas such as OPST to ensure you are competent but you should then be offered a place. Where are you moving to in Staffs? If it is close to my Station I will contact you and arrange for you to come and see us as soon as you move to get a feel for the area and introduce you to all the officers at the Station. PM me if you want personal details or to speak over the phone

D.O.

Edited by -AJ, 24 January 2012 - 04:01 AM.
Edited Formatting to standard - not sure what happened there!

#53 clint_degrey

clint_degrey

Learning the Ropes

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:40 PM

Speak to TINA WILLIAMS in the Recruiting Dept. I'm not sure if we have a transfer policy with Humberside but she will know. If you are a serving Special you will be assessed by Staffs and then asked to resign from Humberside. We will ask them to forward your Interview and Assessment data and take it from there. Staffs will bring you up to speed to our areas such as OPST to ensure you are competent but you should then be offered a place. Where are you moving to in Staffs? If it is close to my Station I will contact you and arrange for you to come and see us as soon as you move to get a feel for the area and introduce you to all the officers at the Station. PM me if you want personal details or to speak over the phone

D.O.

Hi thanks for the help! I'll give her a call tomorrow, I think I have the number. I'm hoping to join in Newcastle Under Lyme is this near you?

Clint

Edited by -AJ, 24 January 2012 - 04:00 AM.
Formatting changed to standard in quote for ease of reading

#54 Shikari

Shikari

Forum Legend

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:47 PM

Hi guys, New member here, I've enjoyed getting some intel and reading your responses. I too applied for SC before Christmas and have been offered a place at the assessment centre on the 14th Feb. See you there Rich! Will any mods/admin/staff from this forum be on the assessment panel?

Hi Mikester. I've also got my assessment date on the 14th. Feel free to PM me about it.

Being a Mod or an Admin on this site doesn't necessarily mean they're part of the recruitment process, they're just SCs or ex-SCs, turned Regs, like you and I want to become ^^.

For everyone else...AJ, Kilo Sierra etc.- I've got my assessment date! Whooo! :whistle:. I'm like, well, me, on christmas eve. Thanks for all your help.

Don't forget to read my blog :saint:

Edited by Shikari, 23 January 2012 - 11:48 PM.

#55 -AJ

-AJ

Supreme Poster

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:07 AM

D.O.

Good post there Boss -

To anybody else in this thread - if you are with staffs or thinking of joining staffs D.O. is a very good guy to talk to - Can put you in touch with the right people and help you where is needed. When I was new/in training he answered a lot of questions, improved my confidence and generally helped me with anything I was a bit unsure with but felt unable to bring up during training infront of others - I'm sure he won't mind me saying so - (if you do boss, let me know!) So PM him if you have any questions about staffs or are just looking for some general guidance from an SC who knows their stuff!

#56 Divisional Officer

Divisional Officer

Starting Out

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:43 PM

Good post there Boss -

To anybody else in this thread - if you are with staffs or thinking of joining staffs D.O. is a very good guy to talk to - Can put you in touch with the right people and help you where is needed. When I was new/in training he answered a lot of questions, improved my confidence and generally helped me with anything I was a bit unsure with but felt unable to bring up during training infront of others - I'm sure he won't mind me saying so - (if you do boss, let me know!) So PM him if you have any questions about staffs or are just looking for some general guidance from an SC who knows their stuff!

AJ

Thanks MR MINI MOD I appreciate the comments

D.O.

#57 thomasshemmell

thomasshemmell

L Plates

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:39 AM

Just been on recruitment site, there is a limited number of application packs avaliable, closing date is the 17th feb, whey!

#58 Kilo Sierra

Kilo Sierra

Trooper

• Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

Hi Mikester. I've also got my assessment date on the 14th. Feel free to PM me about it.

Being a Mod or an Admin on this site doesn't necessarily mean they're part of the recruitment process, they're just SCs or ex-SCs, turned Regs, like you and I want to become ^^.

For everyone else...AJ, Kilo Sierra etc.- I've got my assessment date! Whooo! :). I'm like, well, me, on christmas eve. Thanks for all your help.

Don't forget to read my blog :aok:

No worries Shikari, Shame i didnt have the internet for about amonth, would have repied to this thread MUCH sooner.

Good luck to all the current applicants. Any WITH a previous A/C don't think twice about ringing up and trying to transfer scores and if you don't and have to go through the A/C then revise and prepare for it. DO NOT go in half-cocked. Really, its all about staying calm and taking control of the situation where possible, that is not to say been the leader, but managing it, be that as the lead or their right had wo/man.

Read up on the role profile and the positive/negative traits and try to be the positive. Be a good person that is a team player is the best way to be a person and a cop and thats really what they are looking for. Be yourself where possible however as they will spot a parrot, but there is nothing wrong with a bit of polishing of the diamond :aok:

Likewise, if you fail at any level, ask why. Work out why this happened and try to learn from it, HR are usually quite good at telling you what they want (sometimes they even are good at doing what you want :huh: )

J

#59 Shikari

Shikari

Forum Legend

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

No worries Shikari, Shame i didnt have the internet for about amonth, would have repied to this thread MUCH sooner.

Good luck to all the current applicants. Any WITH a previous A/C don't think twice about ringing up and trying to transfer scores and if you don't and have to go through the A/C then revise and prepare for it. DO NOT go in half-cocked. Really, its all about staying calm and taking control of the situation where possible, that is not to say been the leader, but managing it, be that as the lead or their right had wo/man.

Read up on the role profile and the positive/negative traits and try to be the positive. Be a good person that is a team player is the best way to be a person and a cop and thats really what they are looking for. Be yourself where possible however as they will spot a parrot, but there is nothing wrong with a bit of polishing of the diamond :D

Likewise, if you fail at any level, ask why. Work out why this happened and try to learn from it, HR are usually quite good at telling you what they want (sometimes they even are good at doing what you want :unsure: )

J

Do you get marked down for being almost literally on the 'script'? I want to be myself as much as possible, and to be honest, I think i'll pass if I am. Is it a case of not just trying not to be the negatives, but actually trying to be the positives as much as possible? Is there a sort of middle, neutral ground, so to speak?

#60 Kilo Sierra

Kilo Sierra

Trooper

• Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

Do you get marked down for being almost literally on the 'script'? I want to be myself as much as possible, and to be honest, I think i'll pass if I am. Is it a case of not just trying not to be the negatives, but actually trying to be the positives as much as possible? Is there a sort of middle, neutral ground, so to speak?

Well from talking only to those which do assess the interview/assessment centres and NOT as an assessor myself...

It needs to be a combination of showing that you are good for the role as well as a good person, which has good communication skills. Wrote learning the indicators will help, as it makes marking your interviews much easier but at the same time you need to show the substance of your words. If you have no really decent examples for the key behaviours but you say all the right words, then you won't go as far as if you have a decent, well fought out example and say the right words. Substance is needed, as well as getting the spirit of the indicatiors into your answers

The Police examiners aren't daft (and i think they actually make a comment on their opinion of you as well..not entirely sure) so look at how to show the indicators within honest examples for your interview. It is probably best practice to have 2 examples for each topic, incase they ask for more examples or you forget one in the heat of the moment.

The assessors will tell you, but the examples really need to be YOU focused (I did this/This was done by me....) rather than team based stuff (We did this/I was told to do this). And try to explain any technical details/policy which isnt obvious and not use slang terms.

It's about been honest and showing YOU are suitable for the role, try to relax and just evidence your points.

Don't be afraid to ask for feed back and reapply if you don't make the grade, this alone shows resilience. Good look folks.

#61 Shikari

Shikari

Forum Legend

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:36 PM

<Snip>

Cheers for the advice. +1.

So even for the team work it should be about what I did specifically? Would a Hockey match be a good example for Team Work?

#62 MindTheGap

MindTheGap

GLEE Rocks

• Power Users
  • 2,882 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

So even for the team work it should be about what I did specifically? Would a Hockey match be a good example for Team Work?

SITar.

Situation - what happened

Individual - what you did

Team - what this meant for the team and helped achieve your goal.

#63 Kilo Sierra

Kilo Sierra

Trooper

• Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:15 PM

SITar.

Situation - what happened

Individual - what you did

Team - what this meant for the team and helped achieve your goal.

Nice...you will be a credit to StaffsPol in the future ;)

If you use the very good example from Mike, then you can work something good out, based around how you helped the team effort by doing your own task...I don't really want to put words into your mouth. But think about the best ways to make something happen, and try and do them or identify when you have done them. Read the indicator sheet carefully and you apply it to your life. As i say though, think about multiple examples.

J

#64 Shikari

Shikari

Forum Legend

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:02 AM

+1 for both MB and Kilo Sierra, thanks very much. I'm pretty confident with my examples now. I appreciate the help.

#65 MindTheGap

MindTheGap

GLEE Rocks

• Power Users
  • 2,882 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:49 AM

+1 for both MB and Kilo Sierra, thanks very much. I'm pretty confident with my examples now. I appreciate the help.

Any time mate :w00t:

#66 uscmrisc

uscmrisc

I'm new!

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:23 PM

1328150354[/url]' post='2193121']
Just been on recruitment site, there is a limited number of application packs avaliable, closing date is the 17th feb, whey!

Hi all

I too went onto the recruitment. Website the other day and downloaded the application pack. It said I have till the 17th to send in, however now the website says no applications. Am I still ok the send in my application?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Gary

#67 MindTheGap

MindTheGap

GLEE Rocks

• Power Users
  • 2,882 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:00 PM

Hi all

I too went onto the recruitment. Website the other day and downloaded the application pack. It said I have till the 17th to send in, however now the website says no applications. Am I still ok the send in my application?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Gary

If you have an app, you're allocated an application place, send it in ASAP!

Good luck!

#68 Mikester

Mikester

Settling In

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:39 PM

Well I hope everyone did well, it was a very interesting morning. Damn that interview part was tough! Not sure if I spoke to anyone on here, sorry if I missed you!

#69 11rich11

11rich11

Settling In

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

It was hard! well alot harder then other A/C iv been too, well thats what I thought, anyway all the best to all who went, and they told me today that training could start as soon as april? soo hopefully were all successful, best of luck guys!
Rich

#70 Shikari

Shikari

Forum Legend

• Lifetime Power Users+
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

It was good to meet you Rich. In hindsight I feel quite good about how it went.

Expect a blog soon ^^

#71 11rich11

11rich11

Settling In

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

It was good to meet you Rich. In hindsight I feel quite good about how it went.

Expect a blog soon ^^

It was good to meet you too, and good good at least that 1 of us feels that way lol :(

#72 thomasshemmell

thomasshemmell

L Plates

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

Congrats to all that got an application in, hope to see you all at the A/C!

#73 11rich11

11rich11

Settling In

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

Congrats to all that got an application in, hope to see you all at the A/C!

Best of luck!

#74 thomasshemmell

thomasshemmell

L Plates

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

Just posted off form v2 with all the tick boxes! Hopefully shouldn't be long now!

#75 thomasshemmell

thomasshemmell

L Plates

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

Anybody know of an average timescale?

Edited by thomasshemmell, 22 February 2012 - 01:51 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users